The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Crucible Question

Default Crucible Question

So I have about 20-30lbs of scrap glass in lined box. Mainly shit from the bottom of my quench jar after I empty it, but lots of blow tube and short rods and stuff. I want to have it all melted into a brick, then push/drill a hole into said brick, and set an ax handle into the brick. Then I can have a godly glass Thor Hammer. It will be amazing.

Can a crucible melt all this niz-noz down, then what? A square ceramic mold? Is this possible? Do I dream too big? Are all my hopes and dreams about to be smashed?
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Default Re: Crucible Question

You could do it for sure but the quality of glass is going to be not that great. You could melt the glass at 2350f and then take the crucible out of the furnace HOT and pour it into a mold. Then put in the anealer.
    Abe

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Fleishman View Post
    You could do it for sure but the quality of glass is going to be not that great. You could melt the glass at 2350f and then take the crucible out of the furnace HOT and pour it into a mold. Then put in the anealer.
    Abe
    Awesome! Im not looking to go to war with my hammer, I just think it would be an awesome addition to the studio.

Now onto the question of who has a crucible and is willing to melt all my scrap into a block... Any takers? Located in Washington State, willing to travel.
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

If you dont have a crucible you can try fusing the block in the kiln. Arrange fire bricks, or scrap kiln shelves into a rectangle shape mold for the shape of your block, fill with crushed scrap making sure you have a bottom with kiln shelf paper or kiln wash so it wont stick..... fire in kiln to full melt for borosilicate, anneal, see what you get.. dont think it will be smooth or clear but might look cool.

Don't forget you'll need a longer annealing schedule. Post pictures.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.