The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Snoopdogs progression, going to learn to polish my turds.

Default Re: Snoopdogs progression, going to learn to polish my turds.

Quote Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
    I just found this thread and the pix were going good but stopped. I can't wait for my torch tomorrow. I should just eat an ambien.
    I'm just as excited for you! Its like Christmas. My clear glass order gets in tomorrow.

3mm,4mm,6mm,10mm,16mm rods.

12x2mm tube,15X2.6 mm tube and 25x4mm tube.

Im shopping for a bigger torch and believe me its keeping me up at night. I have decided to get on a waiting list for a new GTT and not used.
    Im hooked on a scorpion or a cheetah. 13 jets of fire would be an upgrade.

Another thing I picked up for my studio is a FM radio/Bluetooth Boombox, got to have some tunes to work to.

I snagged the sound bar from the entertainment center weeks ago. I need to replace it but the bluetooth is awesome out in the garage. I use spotify thru my phone and jam constantly while out there.
    I don't even know what *glass I bought when I went...I kinda followed a package but just grabbed some random colors when I was almost done.
    I got plenty for a first order....I hope. lol
    Last edited by Montoya; 02-09-2015 at 11:43 PM. Reason: *

I would suggest making many many more spoons and really try to get some control over the shaping before you make anything more complicated. Took me long time (hundreds and hundreds) to get to a point I was somewhat happy and consistent with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKeef View Post
    I would suggest making many many more spoons and really try to get some control over the shaping before you make anything more complicated. Took me long time (hundreds and hundreds) to get to a point I was somewhat happy and consistent with them.

I make a few pipes but dont see much value in them. If all I could make is pipes id throw all my tools and glass in the trash and be done today.

I hate making stupid fucking pipes. I can get a glass pipe at the gas station for $7.

Damn, you have me thinking I should do something else, like take up rock collecting.

Sounds like you might be more in to sculpting out of the glass, use those 16mm clear rods and start trying to make animals or get milon townsends book for human figures! very good stuff in there!

Look at some of Mechas work, I haven't seen him make a pipe but he makes one of the baddest tea sets you'll ever see and his pendant sculpting is off the charts! The big picture is you dont have to make Pipes to be creative there are alot of people just making dabbers or just making marbles or pendants

... Glass is what you make it, Literally!

If u don't see much value in pipes you should check out lampworkect.com I'm not trying to discourage you keep at it you'll get it

snoop , I think you need to do alot more pipes before you move to bubblers.
    for me the foundation of the pipe is the building block to the can and mouthpiece.
    the good thing about spoons is you can sell them while your learning for cost of materials.

even if you have to make lil clear spoons for 50 cents and eventually up around 3 $ with color till you can get them clean. at least it is paying for materials and your not paying to learn. when you get them down you can charge more and make money but at first You can make what we used to call throwaways.

my buddiy used to hit me up for the cheapest pipes he would use once and throw them away while fishing so he had no stinky pipe on board his boat

If u don't see much value in pipes you should check out lampworkect.com I'm not trying to discourage you keep at it you'll get it

yea I know. I can use google.

I like pendants and marbles.

The pipes on the previous page are from November. I can make much nicer ones now but just dont care to make them.
    Spoons anyway, spoons are not very good pipes unless they have decent size.

I will let someone else make 10,000 spoons.

Good luck with that

Good luck with that

Thanks, this is a hobby, I dont need to sell anything so its all for fun.

Just read through this thread. It's inspiring seeing someone like myself no classes, just this forum, YouTube, and trial and error. You've made some nice progress, let's see some marbles and other things you've been working on.

P.S. sorry for reviving a dead thread.

Well a lot has gone on, Im making more pendants and marbles then anything. I sold a few cases of pipes but its a slave to the grind duty.

Upgraded to a phantom ran it a year and have a Snub nose Mirage. Now days less is more. Id rather make 3 pendants then 10 pipes for the same price.

I have bought the Milon townsend advanced flameworking, contemporary lampworking 1&2. some bead books,and the books Cosmo sells online.
    The books have been great, its all there is for an alternative to classes.

I lost any drive to make prodo pipes when I see huge 7 inch spoons with 7 marbles, dicro cane ISO from 50mm+ retail for $19
    Iv found most weed heads dont have money for glass they spend it all on weed/dabs so they are not the market for me.

I cant find half the pictures I want to post, its been a long time. I do have a new camera a Nikon D5300 with a 50mmF1.4 prime lens.
    This is with 2700K lighting that sucks, I have some 5,000K light bulbs to replace them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	88606

Needing a kiln upgrade but for what I make its not necessary. 2 and a quarter years and I still have never made a rig.
    My golbets are wonky but I have not spent enough time trying. My kiln sucks to load a goblet into.

Its been so cold here I have not turned the torch on in 2 weeks. I miss it.
    A bigger shop for a lathe is the next step.

Name:	locks1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	88600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marble1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	88601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marble2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	88602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	88603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	88604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant3.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	88605

Nice Snoop, things are looking good

Thanks OceanMelt. Its been fun. I have 2 years 4 months on the torch.

Its at a point the glass has outgrown my tiny studio. I'm in a space 8 x 7 and its claustrophobic.

The best way for me to gain some space is to build a carport right next to the house but not connected then close that in with steel siding.
    it would put me with my whole power service to tap into but I have (2) 240v outdoor plugs we had for the hot tub and welder already there.

I want to make a Raku Kiln first, fire some pottery but graduate to a furnace, soft glass and a buy a boro crucible kiln.
    There are 4 other glass people in my area. most around 30 years old and pretty solid folks so id like a space everyone can hook up to some liquid and do some melting too. I spend way too much time melting alone.

To socialize with other artist the wife and I have been taking classes for wood carving at the college, Iv sold my work to the art teachers.
    A bunch of old folks who are realy nice. We start another class next week.The same college I went to 25 years ago.

As it stands right now I have 2 K tanks and an S tank. I have 4 oxycons and a Gast compressor,100 pound propane tank converted for low pressure oxygen storage, a Paragon caldera with an enameling collar. 3 bbq propane tanks.
    Mirage, Phantom, Cheetah, Alpha. National 3A, mini torch and a Bunsen burner. A natural gas connection that will run the national or the Alpha.
    I have a broken homefil and A bit over 100 pounds of glass. Lots of hand tools,marvers,rollers and molds.2 hotheads.

What I need now is to build a bigger space so people can come and join in the fun.

Its 11F degrees out, there is not much to do so I did some cleaning in the shop today.
    Winter can go away now.

I ordered new Glasses from Aura today, my Philips are not up to snuff.

Here is some stuff I made playing around having fun, thanks to having good ventilation I freeze my ass off.
    These are taken with my cheapo camera. I have a real one and a light box just did not use it this time.

Name:	flower1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	88708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant12417.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	88709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant12517a.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	88710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant12517b.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	88711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant12517c.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	88712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant12517d.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	88713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant12517e.jpg 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	88714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe12517a.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	88715

Hey snoop, I'm trying to find your review where you had the bobcat plumbed to the n.g. line from your house.

I got a few gtt friends who want to get a booster and plumb n.g. I told them not to. I told them spend that money on converting the homefill to hvo.

I'm just trying to find your review so they can understand how much less heat will be available. 3 stations, Phantom / bobcat / and stacks all used full time in this shop. Currently on lox. Unused homefill with no hours in the corner.