The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Snoopdogs progression, going to learn to polish my turds.

Default Re: Snoopdogs progression, going to learn to polish my turds.

Tonight pieces... nothing great but I did have fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipes114.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	68135

tonight's piece... Its better then most of my others.

Name:	pipe116.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	68197

HOTTER! More heat. And when you think it's hot enough, keep going.
    ~Misha

I did get a lesson from an old friend who gave me an education on the flame chemistry, shaping,silver fuming. I learned a lot in just a couple hours.

Iv made a half bread sack of spoons, some more pendants, Icicle ornaments, I bought a marble mold & hand marver, claw grabber, a lot more glass.

I bought a mini hand torch like the smith mini torch. Iv bought some books and videos.

my stuff is turning out real good, still minor imperfections but everything is useable now, I have gotten some compliments on my progress.

Name:	glass1101.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	68518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glass1112.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	68519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marblemold1110.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	68520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marblemold1110a.jpg 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	68521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools1110.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	68522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trorchclaw1110.jpg 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	68523

Im loving the hell out of this hobby, its getting more fun all the time.

I sure need a little kiln to park hot pieces in so I can make a bubbler, Im not sure if a bubbler can be made with no kiln, any advice?

You mostly need a kiln so you can anneal your work. Misha is right, way more heat. Gotta melt your colors in. The hardest part starting out is getting comfortable with manipulating glass that is very loose. That was the reason I never got enough heat into my first pieces...i was more comfortable with the glass when it was stiffer and I was scared to let it get too soupy.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

If you know the Way broadly you will see it in all things. -Musashi

Q: Prove God doesn't exist.
    A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Simian View Post
    You mostly need a kiln so you can anneal your work. Misha is right, way more heat. Gotta melt your colors in. The hardest part starting out is getting comfortable with manipulating glass that is very loose. That was the reason I never got enough heat into my first pieces...i was more comfortable with the glass when it was stiffer and I was scared to let it get too soupy.
    Yea, Im slowing down and putting more time into my work. let it condense and blowing it out a couple times has helped me.

Im wanting to make some pendants this evening. set the tube aside and play with some solid rods. Do some fuming and make some latticino.

A Kiln is my next purchase then an oxygen concentrator. All my pieces are just play around collection till I can kiln them and have a truly completed piece.

I have found I like working solid and pendants and marbles are fun.

Pipe are cool and easy but I realy dont like to make them, use them once and have them sitting all over the house. I have about 10 loaded bowls sitting around.

I dont smoke much so I have bowls loaded to last me through 2015.

Also tried making small bubblers, Pffftt little tubes and bullshit is not for me, Im a freaking cave man!

Hollow is definitely an aquired taste but once you get more experience you may fall in love with it. I prefer solid work like murrini and pendants but I do enjoy making pipes from time to time. If you are openminded you will go through phases and those phases will eventually lead you to what you love.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

If you know the Way broadly you will see it in all things. -Musashi

Q: Prove God doesn't exist.
    A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

Well the tube I was just practicing with was 16mm 1 mm wall test tube, so thin it is all soup or not melting. tried welding it and bending it with little luck.

Some pendants I made, some crack from cooking with no kiln.

Name:	pendant1126.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	69216

Nice progress man. that pendant on the bottom right needs it's bail melted in all the way though looks like it might just pop off.

Nice work man. I can't wait to get started.

my stuff has been progressing fast, Im done making spoons and on to bubblers and Sherlocks.

I need a bigger torch. looking at the mid-range,phantom mirage,delta type torch. The bobcat is not going to work a fist sized chunk of solid boro.

Im already researching crucible kilns,glory holes and hot shop level of work. I have a ghetto foundry for casting zinc, and aluminum.

Im doing the work of a crappy apprentice now but have people asking me for a job as they know my business skills. I need to gear up and get a shop going and have people work for me or better yet be a partner/s with skin in the game. Share the bills and get some real quality equipment.

People are asking for glass and I sure as hell can never keep up, I cant do it all. I would not feel bad about helping younger artist with 20X my skills to run the shit out of a torch and twist out some fine art. I dont mind buying the good Shott and simax, the good colors too. I like GTT torches, would love to buy several at once.
    In my little town they are one of the few counties on the east side of Washington state that has approved permanent zoning for recreational cannabis retail outfits. It just seems logical that the glass business should have a presence if not thrive so I sure as hell can not do it all myself.

Im kind of an old man who has nothing to lose and everything to gain, I have fantastic Karma, I give ten times what I receive and my cup runneth over.
    many of my friends and family are in their grave and iv outlived them, Im not taking one day for granted.

There was a kid on here who started some shit and made some waves but the kid now owns a Nortel mega minor and is learning about working hard and sacrificing fun for a better future. I wish him all the best. I kind of tucked him under my wing and wrong or right I want him to be able to put professional glass blower on his resume.

I see lots of ego in the artist community, its understandable to a point. 20 years ago I was doing time in a tattoo shop and when I went to other tattoo shops so many of them were fucking pricks, I would not want that cocksucker to permanently put his garbage on my skin. They hide their skills from outsiders and made you think they are some sort of magician. No fucking way would they let you use their machines and ink, you were not good enough and not worthy. Many glass artist are the opposite.

I do see some of the glass community is very giving, they want you to TRY, give it a go and see how it works. they have nothing to hide and want to share in the joy of glass working. I can relate to that type of person.

Anyway, im learning, having fun, dont care if I make a buck but if I can help others I will.

Life is very good from where I sit.

I think you should make more spoons

^Nice ,yea kiln is VERY nice to have.Im guessing the kid on the minor is halkglass?Thats pretty cool if he really started blowing, if it was him.

haha most def hawk good for you snoop

lets see some of your new glass snoop. Nothing says progression like some pictures!

how are the bublers and sherlys coming snoop?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKeef View Post
    how are the bublers and sherlys coming snoop?
    Not worth a shit, I keep fucking them up, the Sherlock I fucked up this morning in now a marble in the kiln. then I made a couple spoons, a couple more marbles.

I made a couple bubler type deals then made a cute sherlock a few days ago and after that I just am not getting it. Total jank. Ate up lots of stock, about a 1/2 coffee can of scrap.

I did some marbles and pendants with flowers in them, I realy want to practice flowers a lot more. When I had a tattoo shop I did lots of flowers on some very fine ladies.
    Damn marbles are addictive, I could make them all day long.

I have a glass order coming in. $128 bucks worth and just got a batch of colors.
    I did score 2 K tanks for $100, full. That was a killer deal.

I have plenty of propane and tanked oxygen but decided to run the natural gas and the 8-15 oxycon. On the bobcat I open both knobs wide open all the way and run with it. A clean blue flame about a foot long. Im not seeing much of a loss from the tanks so am going to run it that way for a while.
    With the natural gas and oxycon I can run all day and all night with no worries of running out gasses.

Today I stopped after about 4 hours, the muscle by my neck was burning good.

My bench, I know there is a lighter there, it goes on the surface plate when the torch is on.

Name:	glassbench2915.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	71623

This is the 18 X 24 precision granite inspection lab surface plate, Im using it to stack shit on. LOL

Name:	glass2915.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	71624

Some colors and cheap tools from Saltcity glass.

Name:	glasscolorntools2615.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	71625

Here is the no weld bubbler, it looks like crap but the function rocks. Its my favorite water pipe.

Name:	snoopbubbler2115.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	71627

A small sherlock that is kind of nice, very noobish and janky but came out in one peice so I was happy.

Name:	shlockdone.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	71628

I need to get some good pictures of my marbles, Im liking them a lot.

I just found this thread and the pix were going good but stopped. I can't wait for my torch tomorrow. I should just eat an ambien.

Ha...you posted that I was reading. Your progression has been awesome to see in pictures. Thanks for sharing and motivating me even more.