The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats this donut? sealed to the side called? and what are some methods to execute

Default whats this donut? sealed to the side called? and what are some methods to execute

i know the pics dont show it at all really. im hoping ppl are familiar enough to know from just a bad pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10632351_862235567121095_1907931689_a.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	66704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BURNER-INCYCLER-RECYCLER_1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	518.9 KB 
ID:	66705

ive tried sucking in the sidewall, poking holes and trying to push the tube shut but its a mess.

maybe marver in, then push back together

????

Default Re: whats this donut? sealed to the side called? and what are some methods to execut

Are you talking about sealing the sidewalls together? Have you looked into the so-called "Jesus seal?"
    "Badger, my ass; it's probably Milhouse."

Default Re: whats this donut? sealed to the side called? and what are some methods to execut

Quote Originally Posted by Slow View Post
    Are you talking about sealing the sidewalls together? Have you looked into the so-called "Jesus seal?"
    I don't even think the seal is hollow. It's just a solid clear dot.

You guys talking about the holes in the top of the funnel? Those are just holes. Its where the air/water gets into the funnel to drain back down. They are not welded to the outer wall. Standard on most internal recyclers like that.

The only doughnut i see is where the return spout goes to the bottom chamber.

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

i think what hes referring is the initial diffusor which appears to be a donut, fully sealed around the outside wall of the donut to the inside wall of the tube

probably a triple ring seal, dropping the donut onto one tube, then attaching the other end, and shaping. definitely lathe work, unless your quave.

I'm a little confused on this design. I'd love to see some more pictures.

I still can't see a doughnut...

is this what hes talking about?

Name:	10632351_862235567121095_1907931689_a.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	66769

i can see the donut now, its open on the bottom isnt it? looks kind of tricky for sure, probably fun to do. not sure exactly how it flows yet, hard to tell from the pics.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

looks like donut is closed, holes on top or bottom. smoke travels down the stem through the donut into the water, up through the recycler which drains through a tube in the center of the donut

not really that hard of an idea. like all internal recyclers with that setup however the donut is fully welded around the tube, instead of just at the seal and maybe a tack at the back.

How would that recycle the water wouldnt it all just sit on the donught eventuly and stop the perk? Unless there is some sort of slit at the bottom of the tube

Here is a sketch of a a cross section of the diffuser which is what I'd like to know how to do well.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413394359.634040.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	66783

I am so sry to not clarify earlier, I've been attending a trial.

Just looks like someone made the "doughnut" and just made a ring seal. Your first ring seal at the top holds the piece in place. It's gravy on a lathe.

ZOB makes this perc in a few versions I believe it's called the "zobello". I've seen other ppl make it also. My impression is it's one piece shaping, on a lathe, wherein the tubing wall is pressed down creating a trough. Then holes are popped into the trough using a mini torch and/or tungsten. Then the edges of the trough are heated and you crank the tailstock over thereby sealing it into a donut. There's no separate ring seals or tubing involved.

that's what I've tried to do at the bench and its just not nearly as clean.

I'm glad that I'm on the right track

I could really use some finer points that make it work nice.

Zobello eh? is that a derivative of the actual tech name. ? Maybe that one for making the donut bubble with the penetration bubble paperweights.

Zobello or halo perc or something to that affect. Just due to the way it's made the holes are all massive. When they released this design as a flower piece it was extremely airy and chuggy. Nowadays for concentrates where some prefer low diffusion I guess it could be alright.

And not sure exactly what you mean by bubble penetration but I'm assuming you mean marbles such as those that contrabasso has made that have a series of donut bubble traps. My best guess on making those would be to take a solid rod of let's say 10-16mm, create a series of crisp marias. Then sleeve that in clear tubing thus trapping the air between the marias. How long you work any kind of symmetrical bubble trap like that will affect the symmetry though, as you work it the air traps can shift and disrupt the balance, making part of the hollow inflated and even sealing in on itself in other parts.

Looks like RISD ring