The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Custom globe for substation fixture

Default Custom globe for substation fixture

I'm a construction worker with a problem. I was working in a substation and accidentally lowered my man lift on a light fixture. I later discovered these lights are antiques made in the 40's, no longer stocked anywhere. I just need the outer glass globe. I've found a few complete fixtures for around $1000.00/each.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/111475488789?nav=SEARCH . My question is am I going to have to bite the bullet, or could one be made to replace it for less? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Custom globe for substation fixture

If you post pictures of one that wasnt broken and some dimentions im sure somone on here could help you

One of our soft glass blowers might be able to make that, but would need measurements. The pics are clear enough. Maybe the eBay seller would be able to give you measurements.
    ~Misha

I think some one here could do you way better than a G. I know I would If I could. (if all you really need is a over sized goblet top )

Only pay some one with a lathe to make it......If its larger than 6 inches, and you want perfect.

You got to give good measurements ,size is one of the main limiting factors for most. be VERY clear about exactly what part.

Good pictures/directions always help, and prove your wiling to take the time to spend and save your money.
    Last edited by BORO; 10-23-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	67536
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	67537

That's something that likely would have been made in a hot shop, not on a torch or with a lathe.... I'm not a hot shop glass blower, but from what I know of them, that should be a pretty straight forward piece of glass to replace.

I'm sure one of our resident hot hop glass artists will come across this soon and chime in.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Try googling "glass fabrication". I found a couple of sites that potentially do what you need. Good luck in your search. What a thing to break, oh boy.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Although I agree that it is certainly a furnace piece, there are two problems with reproducing one of these in a hot shop. This was very likely mold blown, either by hand or machine. That means either making a new mold or finding someone skilled enough to make an exact copy of the piece by hand, which isn't as easy as it may sound.

But now the big catch - since this was made to be out in the weather and would have been heated by the light inside, it is very likely that the glass itself is a low expansion borosilicate, possibly not 33 COE, but certainly a lower expansion than melted in the average hot shop today. That would make finding a furnace blower to reproduce it exponentially harder. So I think a lathe worker is the best bet. If no one here wants to do it, I would suggest checking your local universities to see which may have a scientific glassblowing shop. A decent scientific lathe worker should be able to make one without too much trouble. But it won't be cheap since it will probably take him/her several tries to get a good match.

I hate to say it, but in the end, with the time it could take trying to find someone to do this, as well as the cost to reproduce it, you might be better biting the bullet and buying a real one. And you may be able to recoup a little of the cost of it by reselling the fixture itself.

Giving this some more thought, you might want to check with Kopp Glass in Pittsburgh. It may be a long shot for a one-off piece, but it's worth a try since they've been making lighting ware for a very long time and still have a hand shop (I think). Who knows, they may even have a globe like you need sitting on a old shelf covered with dust.
    Last edited by brads; 10-24-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I took measurements and gave them to the boss, but they have been misplaced. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the exact dimensions until mid November when we start back up. I do have a picture that gives a bit of an idea on the size we're looking at. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	538.4 KB 
ID:	67561
    Would it be a lot easier for someone to make if they had a globe from another one of the lights in the sub to make a mold out of? I guess it would be possible for me to borrow one, but it's not something I would want to send across the country. Having to buy two lights would kill me.

Sorry I dont have much more to ad other than you came to the right place to find someone. it may take a few days for the right person to see it but....

Doesn't the company you work for have insurance so you don't have to come out of pocket for the repair?
    Simian Glass on Facebook

If you know the Way broadly you will see it in all things. -Musashi

Q: Prove God doesn't exist.
    A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

The size is in the ebay description. 24" drop, 19" projection, and 13" in diameter.

wow! that's the best size reference pic ever!

so where you located @ ? there mite be someone near

& have you tried any other power co that mite have a spare globe somewhere ?