The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lathe tape, adhesive preferred, just a couple feet

Naughty Lathe tape, adhesive preferred, just a couple feet

Does anyone have a roll of adhesive lathe tape that they could spare a few feet of? Trying to avoid buying a roll for 80 bucks just to use a foot or less to put on some tongs. I'll send ya 10 paypal bucks if you can stick 2 feet into an envelope and mail it to me!

thanks,
    Derek

Default Re: Lathe tape, adhesive preferred, just a couple feet

I may have some. Is it Graphite on one side and sticky on the other.

^^ thats what I thought too (but kevlar tape?)

I thought the tongs were made with kevlar , like the gloves..... ( from my experience, graphite lathe tape is paper thin , and crumbles when you fold it, great for g.o.n.g. tools, just a tiny bit and it locks the joint in place pretty well)

If you do need a small quantity of tape, one kind or another, try Prisim in troy, if its not too far.(call first even) Phil may have it. (He sells small amounts of color as well , usually has the color rod or 2 I need in a pinch. )

Do you have a ceramic/pottery supply store nearby? I found this stuff in my local shop the other day that looks like a sheet of what you are looking for, but claims it's good for full fuse, is reusable and doesn't break down. It's made to put on the kiln floor and give texture to the back side of fused glass, but my first thought was how great it would be for covering tools. It was available in various sizes. I even found you some with adhesive backing…though I am not convinced that any adhesive will hold up to high temps for very long.

http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Pro.../dp/B0055BXZKQ

Aymie

Nice find Aymie!

I found this when I was looking for a similar material as the Nate tongs. Says it's good up to 1200 f continuous and 2000 f intermittant. Also has a nice rugged texture that seems like it would help to grip the glass. Looks to be similar texture as the nate tongs my old shopmate had. Thinking of using this as an adhesive. Says it's good up to 1500 f.

Thanks for the responses, I might try to hit up Prism, been there once or twice, but it's like a 3 hour drive if i remember correctly. Maybe I can hit up one of their demo nights and scoop this up at the same time. I was wanting this so I could make some tongs like Nate had a while back for sale, but he sold out before I could get a set. There is a pottery store 45 minutes away from me that I'll hit up one of these days to check out that option.

Thanks everyone!

D

I never saw a pair with any kind of glue..... always wire twisted , or metal "zip tie" or band clamps....

anywhoo.....

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ighlight=tongs

last time I checked , "western mass" was less than a hour from troy/albany? (did you move? )

I think it's just exhaust heat wrap that they are useing it looks like the same stuff and withstands the same temps. Should be able to get it at most auto stores

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Yarly. Even says on his website that it's "lava rock wrap" which is exhaust wrap.
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Quote Originally Posted by BoRo View Post
    I never saw a pair with any kind of glue..... always wire twisted , or metal "zip tie" or band clamps....

anywhoo.....

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ighlight=tongs

last time I checked , "western mass" was less than a hour from troy/albany? (did you move? )
    Maybe my buddy got a shitty one? But it was definitely an adhesive, no metal ties.

Looking back I'm not even sure that second link I posted was an adhesive? Maybe it's just a sealent? If it doesn't work I'm gonna grab some metal ties. Ordered a 15"x2" roll. I'll see what I can come up with.

I have some that is just exhaust wrap. When you touch it or move/bend it, scary title fibers go flying all over. This stuff didn't do that when I picked it up.

Aymie

So the lava rock exhaust wrap came in. Wrapped up some old Jim beam tongs and gave em a try. Works great. Gives off less steam and smell then my buddies did. Also his were thicker, more like carpet wrapped around the tongs and that made it a little harder to grip certain pieces. These are thinner and flex a bit more. I was pretty damn happy with them for the 16 bucks or so I paid. I've got a bunch left too. Oh that stuff didn't work as an adhesive at all, haha.

I made a pair of finishing tongs similar to Nate's with Glasscraft's more "carpet-like" lathe tape. At $2/ft its not a bad deal.
    As for high temp adhesive, you'll need something higher than 1500 f to prevent premature breakdown of the glue.
    Flexbar makes a non-toxic engineering adhesive (which I've bought and used for this purpose) thats rated up to 2015 f.
    http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/ROCKSETT-2-OZ-p4019.htm

Ya, BoRo, you are right, it's only 1.5 hours from me, ended up finding some online for a decent price. We'll see how this works out. I appreciate all the info that you guys had on this.