The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: faceted boro mibs

Default faceted boro mibs

looking for faceted boro marbles, for me to use in my work, somewhere in the 20mm & up range im guessing? anyone making these, or know where i could find some?

Default Re: faceted boro mibs

I got some from a glasscraft sale a while back, they all seemed to blow up in the kiln if I remember correctly... still have a handful in my toolbox.

My buddy has been faceting recently, do you have a price point in mind? He's I_O_W_A on instagram and Re-Vit on here...but I don't think he checks in too often.

i was hoping to pick a bunch up in trade if possible, if not tryin to spend about $100

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki479 View Post
    I got some from a glasscraft sale a while back, they all seemed to blow up in the kiln if I remember correctly... still have a handful in my toolbox.

My buddy has been faceting recently, do you have a price point in mind? He's I_O_W_A on instagram and Re-Vit on here...but I don't think he checks in too often.
    i was gonna say the same thing, i know he just posted up some on instigram

I think I saw some on Abrs website, but not sure if they are quality or not..

I have faceted a mib with an opal exclusion http://www.kingmanarts.com/faceted-marble/. I charge $10 per facet. The one pictured has 288 facets and is not for sale. Here is a YouTube video. Sorry about the music. YouTube disapproved my real choice.
    Last edited by DaveK; 11-07-2014 at 07:00 AM.

so that would be $2,880 worth of facets, Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by bugzboro View Post
    so that would be $2,880 worth of facets, Dave?
    Again, It's - Not- For - Sale.

A brilliant cut diamond has 58 facets. Yes, if you wanted to have a marble with 58 facets, why I wouldn't know, I would charge $580. I assumed you are looking for maybe 12-16 facets.

Dave what kind of lap machine are you using if you don't mind me asking ?
    There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive. This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame ; it comes to the soldier, war mad on a stricken battlefield and refusing quarter. ~ Jack London

Instagram ---- Captain_Glass

So 12_16 would be $120-$160? Pretty sure that's not what I'm looking for. I do not have very much experience with purchasing faceted MIBs to use on my work, but I'm thinking somewhere in the $15-$30 each range?

China then.

So let's see, you want someone to spend 3-4 hours coldworking a marble on a machine that costs between $2,000 and $5,000 dollars, using faceting disks that cost between $100-$800 each (a minimum of three of them), and sell it to you for $30 each? Good luck.

DaveK - I like the idea of pricing per facet, I've never thought of that. I generally have been looking at total time, but that is more nebulous and makes it hard to quote up front.

I use an Ultra-Tech with a digital mast, fantastic machine.

Edit: Bugs, what you want is glass faceted by slave labor in Bangkok. I'm pretty sure they spend all of their time faceting crappy man-made hydrothermal quartz, but you might be able to get a bunch of marbles done if you make the right contacts and supply the mibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Glass View Post
    Dave what kind of lap machine are you using if you don't mind me asking ?
    I have an 8" Fac-Ette.

Quote Originally Posted by loydb View Post
    So let's see, you want someone to spend 3-4 hours coldworking a marble on a machine that costs between $2,000 and $5,000 dollars, using faceting disks that cost between $100-$800 each (a minimum of three of them), and sell it to you for $30 each? Good luck.

DaveK - I like the idea of pricing per facet, I've never thought of that. I generally have been looking at total time, but that is more nebulous and makes it hard to quote up front.

I use an Ultra-Tech with a digital mast, fantastic machine.

Edit: Bugs, what you want is glass faceted by slave labor in Bangkok. I'm pretty sure they spend all of their time faceting crappy man-made hydrothermal quartz, but you might be able to get a bunch of marbles done if you make the right contacts and supply the mibs.
    I could maybe lower the per-facet price for a regular or wholesale customer. But because of the prep work and time involved, wear and tear etc., I can't see going below $7 per facet.

At the local gem fair, I bought some faceted "Quartz", figuring I could use them as inclusion in boro. Well, they weren't quartz. They were probably float or bottle glass. When heating them with a torch, they shattered. Preheating didn't work either. Bugzboro- I will sell you those for $15 each.
    Last edited by DaveK; 11-08-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Out of curiosity how much to do some faceting on a pip itself?
    I have a piece i been wanting to do for quite sometime but don't do that type of thing.
    I would want maybe 8 around the bowl and 8 on the mouth piece.
    I imagine it would be much more difficult to work on a piece then a mib?
    The shape would be a peace pipe.
    The facets would be about 1" long on the mouth piece and 1" long on the bowl.

Also maybe a price on doing 3" long facets on a 6" long arrow head?
    The world is a vampire... "Smashing pumpkins"

Loyd, I have gotten quotes from people that either speak very good bangkokese, or are outsourcing the product they are offering to me for anywhere from $12 up to $45 wholesale, depending on size and number of facets. I totally understand pricing accordingly With finished work, but I'm looking to buy them wholesale. The prices I am going by are not prices I've dreamed up, it is the range I've been quoted by people that have spent $2000-$5000 on a machine and several hundred on disks, as well as their time. So again , does anyone have any in the price range of $12-$$whatever then?

i will check with the local facet guy. He charges by the size small, medium, large. and how many rows you get. If i remember correctly the small ones start at 10$ or maybe 12$. And i think getting the top of a bowl or something like that is 10$.

one thing is for sure it's not 10$ for each flat spot. if thats what was being said...

thanks barry, that seems alot more like what i am looking for, $10 per flat spot sure seems like it can get out of hand pretty quick, maybe ive been mislead on the process, maybe someone who does this or has seen it done can fill me in on the process to get a better understanding of whats involved, i thought someone would take a somewhat mushroom shaped piece of boro, attach it to the machine by where the stem would be were it a mushroom, using some sort of adhesive? and the machine is programmed to do all the cuts, you just change the wheels? am i wrong with this, or is that just the bomb diggity machines? again, this is just what i was told by someone who does not facet. i would appreciate some knowledge on this. thanx!!!!

Are they simply putting facets on it (a single pass on a rough stone), or are they actually taking it through the polish stage? Or are you flame polishing? Anyway, sounds like you've found the sweatshop facet hookup you need already, I'd love to see some pics of the product if you have time.