The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Flower power!

Default Re: Flower power!

encasing in clear works when im working it differently, but on the implosions i end up getting the encasement a little thick i guess and it leaves too much space between lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadglass View Post
    I think I will try to encase the crayon rod in clear before pulling a stringer and seeing how that turns out as far as boiling goes. I can get it laid down clean but it bubbles as soon as I start compressing it into the disk.
    encasing the crayon in clear help the boiling but changes the look so it dosn't real look like a flower.

Name:  157.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  38.2 KB

ive heard oxy rich works as well, but still getting some bubbs. i just have to mix it before i work into my piece a little more than usual with this last batch of NS star white.. maybe its the batch? my other usual boilers i've been able to figure out a little easier than the white.

Here are my most recent flowers

First Flower on the Delta Mag
    Made with 18mm rod
    ~1 1/8 inches Diameter
    Can't wait for the larger diameter rod to come in!
    First two pics are before kiln strike and last is after kiln strike.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsafo View Post
    Hey misha, lets see some flowers! i know you're holding out on us.
    I'll have to make some recent ones, haven't made any in awhile.

here are some these from 2005 matt made the red and white one and i made the yellow and black one

Name:  Img69037_11.5.05-152.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  35.1 KB Name:  Img55347_glass_6.19.05_018.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  40.1 KB
    ~Misha

Default Flower power!

Beauty! Hey show us the giant one in context !!! It's like a crystal ball... With flowers
    Nah, nah. See, I meant to do that.

Wow those are awesome Pyro. I'm trying to get that good. I need to learn how to keep my petals straight, they always curl, I believe from me pressing to far

Can someone give me advice on my flowers? I think they look good but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong and they could be better. I think I'm either pushing to much when I implode or not pushing enough but I can't figure it out. Here are my most recent three. I think the bottom one is closest to what it's supposed to be.

One i made today. Ive been obsessed with getting these right. Im much more satisfied with this one, just wish the purple would have shown more. Next one i make im gonna reverse it nd do purple over white, then ill be moving on to using two stringers for one petal in order to get more complex petals.

Pyro, how do you get such long pointed petals? Larger V's instead of lines?

Quote Originally Posted by SwanieMix View Post
    One i made today. Ive been obsessed with getting these right. Im much more satisfied with this one, just wish the purple would have shown more. Next one i make im gonna reverse it nd do purple over white, then ill be moving on to using two stringers for one petal in order to get more complex petals.
    purple on the outside is a total differant look if you just want more purple coming through might want to try a differant white or a thinner layer of white. I don't know what white your using but some white get more transpartent when thined out.
    I got a pound of white that worked good for that kind of work I think it was Northstar Star White, but not sure.
    But if your using asian white now you will need to baby any other white when melting or it will broil.

I know purple over white is a completely different look and I figured I'd have to use a thinner layer of white to get the purple to show, I just stated that cause it's the next color flower I'm gonna make, purple edge with white inside, thanks anyway for the advice. It's ns Egyptian white by the way. I have star white too so I'll try some of that as well as using a thinner layer. I don't notice a huge difference between the two except that star white feels smoother and doesn't boil quite as easy.

Pyro, how do you get such long pointed petals? Larger V's instead of lines?
    Start with short lines. The dots in the middle are when I poke the center a tiny tiny bit after the first heat/implosion so that it has a point on the tip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	69506
    ~Misha

Thats where I'm messing up, ive been pressing before the implosion. I feel stupid now. When I press before the implosion it gives a frilly looking petal.
    Last edited by SwanieMix; 12-07-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroChixRock View Post
    Start with short lines. The dots in the middle are when I poke the center a tiny tiny bit after the first heat/implosion so that it has a point on the tip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	69506
    You put all your lines on at the same time correct? I just tried one where I put the first two layers on, imploded a few times, added another layer imploded a few times, then added another layer and finished it and the inner layers got way longer than the outer layer, plus the petals have become slightly see through. Can I solve the see through petals with a thicker stringer or do I need to use a different color?

I'm sure many of you have seen this BUT just in case...

http://youtu.be/TBmoV2Y33UQ

He does a good job of teaching.. Explaining each step and why.

Sorry it's not answering your question swaniemix I have trouble getting those tight points in the tips as well. Thanks for the visual misha. Will have to give it the ol college try when I'm not feeling like refried shit.

Anyways! Just thought I'd share the kobuki demo as well as the Ron bearer jr. Tutorial

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...183218&page=14

It started my love for the flower implosions and has some great basics to get you started with color theory. After that it's like every thing you try is magic.

Best advice I ever got from anyone was "practice, practice, practice."

Starting to sound like my old man..

P.S. They are buy one get one free through Christmas he has some other pretty cool tutorials in there!!

I would also like to show you this man's work. His name is Steve McCarthy. He makes gorgeous shit. I hope I'm not hurting anyone by taking these images from one of his Facebook posts, but I need to share this beauty with the world

I'd better get back to practice...

You put all your lines on at the same time correct? I just tried one where I put the first two layers on, imploded a few times, added another layer imploded a few times, then added another layer and finished it and the inner layers got way longer than the outer layer, plus the petals have become slightly see through. Can I solve the see through petals with a thicker stringer or do I need to use a different color?
    No, I start with the stamen and implode those then do the first row and implode it and so on. I like to leave enough room between layers so that there's space between the petals.
    Last edited by PyroChixRock; 12-07-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: took out pic
    ~Misha

Just one implosion between each row? I'm starting to get it.