The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: smith mini torch or a national handheld?

Default smith mini torch or a national handheld?

which do you prefer and why? <3

Default Re: smith mini torch or a national handheld?

Gen tec from area 541 or all stylez or whatever he goes by now

Fast shipping and great product
    There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive. This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame ; it comes to the soldier, war mad on a stricken battlefield and refusing quarter. ~ Jack London

Instagram ---- Captain_Glass

I have a smith torch knock off for a hand torch. $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jewelers-Jew...3D310919146757

www.gentecengineering.com are those the guys youre talking about? i wanna see it in action and hear about itXD

National. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more versatile.

Stegee Lurker

Both. Its nice having a national with #3 or rosebud tip and a compact at arms length. No switching tips though that's not an issue for everyone. The compact is overall smaller and i feel it can get in some tighter places easier. Then the national for more firepower in your hand which comes in handy. That being said I usually stick to the compact and my shopmate uses the national.

If you get one, get a national and a handful of tips. then get a compact when you need it

Quote Originally Posted by Stegee View Post
    Both. Its nice having a national with #3 or rosebud tip and a compact at arms length. No switching tips though that's not an issue for everyone. The compact is overall smaller and i feel it can get in some tighter places easier. Then the national for more firepower in your hand which comes in handy. That being said I usually stick to the compact and my shopmate uses the national.

If you get one, get a national and a handful of tips. then get a compact when you need it
    This^^^

They are both inexpensive. Get both. But if for some bizarre reason you can only have one the National is the obvious choice because of versatility.

Gentech little torch or i recommend the compact. Fells nicer made than a smith and isn't as bulky as a national.

Every lamp working shop should have at least one natty. They are cheep versatile, and kinda a tank. I hate the valve threads on gen techs the threads are so week and thin. I loved my gentec tell the propane valve just fell out one day.
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

both ideally, id get the jewelers torch, you need the hornet tip though to really get any use out of it. Im also a little disappointed with the smiths, im on my 2nd one atm, the after about 2 years of heavy use, the valves are leaking and the same thing happen with my first.

Probably gonna get a gentec to try out.

sounds good. ill get the national now and when i get another 150 ill buy the gentec. thanks a lot guys

WAIT NOW. so the national premix that i found says it dont work with soft glass? is it because its too hot? i dont see why it wouldnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan35080 View Post
    WAIT NOW. so the national premix that i found says it dont work with soft glass? is it because its too hot? i dont see why it wouldnt work.
    It's a common myth. Works fine for me. Not sure why everyone says otherwise. I've seen a video of Paul Stankard using a CC, too. Lots of those paperweight makers use CC's.

Don't meant to tread jack but what about the nortel ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkglass View Post
    Don't meant to tread jack but what about the nortel ranger?
    It's decent. I have one hooked up. The small flame is kind of lame. It's just a minor on a stick.

does the ranger have tips? i like the national for its HUGE choice of tips. like the htc6 tip has a flame just like the minor

Quote Originally Posted by jordan35080 View Post
    does the ranger have tips? i like the national for its HUGE choice of tips. like the htc6 tip has a flame just like the minor
    No it's surface mix. As for the National get a piloted #1 tip. It will be your best friend for small detail work.

sounds good! gonna get that and a shelbo 55 port whisper tip! thanks a bunch guys<3 much love

...nvm
    Last edited by Black Fire; 11-23-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: read up other threads

Quote Originally Posted by jr23 View Post
    I hate the valve threads on gen techs the threads are so week and thin. I loved my gentec tell the propane valve just fell out one day.
    I am sorry to hear you had issues with your valves jr, that is the first time i have heard of any problems though. I do sell replacement valves for both Gentec models in the form of easy turn knobs, so if anybody has valve issues hit me up and i will fix your wagon. I know dropping the torch on the valves can make them leak as it happened to me, but putting in new valves fixed it right up. I have since dropped it a few more times since and it works fine, so the drop has to hit the valves just right it seems.

As far as torch choice, I have put this opinion out before but I will reiterate. A National is comparable to a micro torch like a fork is to a spoon. They both accomplish similar goals, in fact you can choose either a fork or a spoon as the proper utensil for many meals. But sometimes you need the right tool for the job.... just try eating cereal with a fork.
    Distributor of Gentec Products for the Glass Blowing Industry

Contact me for everything Gentec!

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram: