The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Old precision scientific torch for sale

Default Old precision scientific torch for sale

I have this very old torch I am selling. I have never seen it fired up and so I dont know how good or if it works. The valves all turn and I can blow thru them. It is marked oxy, gas , and air. So I assume it needs a compressed air line. Far as I can tell this torch is most likely pre 1930's but Im not sure as I could'nt find much info online about it. It would make a cool display piece, or it may function as a torch again not sure as I have never had it fired up. It is very heavy and appears to be in pretty decent shape.

Make me a cash offer if you are interested. Thanks LarrenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141123_174729.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	69046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141123_174809.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	69047

Default Re: Old precision scientific torch for sale

Hey Larren. This torch is beautiful. I don't know much about old school torches but have been more and more intrigued into the old school lampworking techniques. I read that old lampworkers would blow with their own lungs through a blow hose into the part marked "air" because liquid or compressed oxygen wasn't available.

I want this torch and can offer you 100$ cash for it. Hope that's not an insult, just the best I can do right now.

Thanks,

Sky Hayes
    @skyhizzy instagram

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    [snip] I read that old lampworkers would blow with their own lungs through a blow hose into the part marked "air" because liquid or compressed oxygen wasn't available.
    I'm not sure where you read that (internet perhaps?) but I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Think about it - if you are blowing glass and have to blow into the air line to make your torch run, it makes things a bit difficult when you need to blow into the piece as well.

The fact is that before compressed air or oxygen became common, lampworkers typically used a foot operated, bellows-like pump to supply air to their torch.

As far as the torch, it does look very cool. I especially like the brass. It looks like the Steampunk version of a similar design old gas/oxy/air torch I have. But mine looks positively Buck Rogers in comparison. I like the Steampunk one a lot.

There's also some more info posted in that thread about the general torch design that might be useful.
    Last edited by brads; 11-24-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added the link to my torch

I know this is a old post but if any one reads this I really need to find some kind of manual on a torch like this. I bought one and it's nearly new but I'm having a hard time trying to get it dialed in. I also saw a tip on a forum somewhere that I would like to find that had many holes like amany of the newer torches I've seen. Any help would be great. Thanks

This may help the visualization.

https://youtu.be/Y7cwdXpGWHU
    "Destruction leads to a very rough road, but it also breeds creation."

The old torches need really low pressure... 5-8psi oxygen, <2 psi natural gas, not propane (usually) some even were made for coal gas. Air can be delivered with a large aquarium air pump in a pinch, but 3-5 psi off a compressor would be better.

They make a really soft flame, but the center fire on them is needle sharp and not too bad.

I have 4 or 5 of them, they're not great even when running well, but it's neat to see them in action. Some day I'll hook one of mine up and take some pics / video
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Early thirties. Not worth much. Id offer $30 if I wanted it. Neat torch but there's lots of them on ebay. Super low pressures. You can run it on propane but super low pressure. Like 2-4psi.