The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pricing help

Default Pricing help

How should I price my larger items? I tend to push myself into new and uncomfortable techniques. So sometimes it take me a while to finish a piece. Longer than what the finished product looks. Should I price the piece by how long it took to make or should I price as relative to other pieces of similar structure and materials in the market?

Default Re: Pricing help

Just the opinion of a newbie here but it seems the price needs to be comparable to others in the market based on size and quality. You can't expect customers to pay more just because you took more time on it than should have. Take the hit on the first few until you can decrease production time to a level where you are hitting your price point.

"Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay"

1. Sell it , put money in Your pocket , even if it's less than you want.

2. Keep it ( or ask too much money ) and it's just another piece of glass in your stash.

I'd suggest to make more than one of those uncomfortable pieces at once. The 2nd, 3rd, 8th will go faster and make up for the time it took to figure out how to make the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by BoRo View Post
    "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay"

1. Sell it , put money in Your pocket , even if it's less than you want.

2. Keep it ( or ask too much money ) and it's just another piece of glass in your stash.
    this.

Thank you guys for ur advice

So if u guys were to price this sherloc I made what would it be? There's two golden gate sections, two inside out sections, and two heavy blue leprachaun coil pot sections. One of the tentacles is made of 2 layers of Dichro and has 2 grams of moldavite and a nice Opal.
    http://instagram.com/p/wMjpd9ghZP/

I could give you input as to what you could get for it in the northwest, but I think you might be disappointed. Pricing is regionally very subjective. Where are you located?

Rep+ for leaving the comfort zone, looks like you made it to the "next level."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	69448

Thanks you. It was hot and exciting. And so much fun. Even with the struggles

I live in Virginia so prices are not too bad around here. Also it prolly measures around 10 inches.

Well you asked for opinions. And when moving into advanced work. Have a plan, try not to throw in the more expensive prep until you get you comfort level up to par.

Around here you would be lucky ta get 50-60 bucks out of it.

That's who sale.

Which means it should take you about a hour to make.

Pricing is region to region.

Any store owners out there want to give a quote .
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

I think in the north east you could get 150-200 dollars for it if you sold it to the right wealthy college kid.

Michigan id be looking at 75-80 and ik for a fact that virginia is cheeper on glass than here when i came down there i think i remember seeing a similar piece for 60

For me, it always goes as follows.

At first:

Oooooo, this piece is sweet, it's the best thing I've ever made. It took me forever, and it was a major struggle, but I pulled through. I kind of don't want to let it go, it was a stepping stone for me, even though it may not be a perfect representation of that particular technique. I shall price it above market value, because I kind of want to show it off for a while anyways.

After a while:

OK, it's not selling at this price, and I'm kind of over it. Oh but it does bring back memories, and I can't wait to try it again, but I've kind of got to get rid of this one first, so I'll mark it down a bit, to where a perfect representation of that particular technique should be.

After a little while longer:

I'm over it, get rid of it. I've made two more and they were each a lot faster and cleaner looking anyways, and they've both sold at the price I was asking for, for this sloppy version. Psht, it was my first try, that's my excuse for this one. I'm marking it down to sell, at below market value.

After a long while later:

Holy crap, this things still here? Seriously, who made this piece of garbage anyways. Ten bucks!
    Number 1 in all of your glass chainsaw pipe manufacturing needs.

@ The-thought-police ...you sold a rig for 10$ ? I dont dought that sold quick

No no no. I was referring to how I price my work when it's something above and beyond what I normally make. Wasn't necessarily referring to anything in specific at all. My memory of doing this process goes as far back as being excited about my first spoons even. Kind of in response to the OP having said "new and uncomfortable techniques". It's an ongoing process I'm trying to speak from 14 years of having gone through.

The ten dollars is a vague reference as well, to the sad price I've had to go as low as to get rid of some of the hardest things I've had to do, including those first spoons. Those were me, pushing my limits at one point.

I was speaking vaguely, describing a process of pricing.
    Number 1 in all of your glass chainsaw pipe manufacturing needs.

Ohhhhhh ok

I don't know where the rig part came from, but it made me laugh.

TTP has is right , espcially for retail... You mark it slightly high than your think ( your guess ) and if it sells , great.

If it sits , mark it down after a set amount of time. ( if it sold already, you may have to mark the next one up. )

So you mark it down after a week? And it sits some more, repeat , keep cutting price till it sell...

after it sells , mark the next one just a touch higher than the sold price. .... (I have got to balance speed of sales , vs cost of production )

When it comes to the "dollar a min" argument... That's great for production. I have some things I can make 2 $ a min. (recycled rigs in a hour ) .... I don't think it plays as big a role in "headies" .... If your worried about time, when your working near your limits, is a mistake imo. Your trying to make the best stuff you can. The extra hour you took on that project, may get you way more money in the end.... Proof your proficient with glass can open doors..... Not to mention it would take from the "kiln dance , it's almost cool , omg , woot! " factor.

Price it based on what your time is worth. Make more stuff with the profit. If the stuff you sell doesn't pay for itself make something different or try harder on designing the peice. drawing stuff up on paper can help tighten up designs.
    Spend more time on the peice and less in materials might be a good move for you at this point. I think pre made prep is cheating/shortcutting. I wouldn't want to own a peice made by someone that didn't have the skill to do their own prepwork.
    Ide say its worth between 50-200 depending on the venue/ person you are selling to. if it was a rig with a decal , maybe more.
    Btw What's your name? That helps sell shit too.