The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Jxbey's progression thread

Default Re: Jxbey's progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMelt View Post
    I may be a bit confused on what you mean/asking... I had the tank set to the recommend settings (8oxy/2prop - Bravo). I don't have a gauge to measure what psi is coming out of my oxy, but it's probably pretty close - the only thing I can't get is a super reduced flame (loud/hissing), which I think is beneficial.

Don't homefills yield very pure tanked oxygen? I thought they won't even pump into the tank unless it's at a certain purity?
    It's not any more pure than a concentrator, since it uses a concentrator to fill. Tanked is over 99% pure, whereas concentrators typically put out between 88% and 95%. The only advantage of the homefill is high available pressure and unlimited flow (lpm) until the tank is empty.

I'm saying that for my torch, the advantage of tanked over concentrators is not pressure or flow, which are the advantages of the homefill, but purity, which isn't.

homefills won't fill a tank unless the purity is at least 90%...

Personally i can't tell the difference between store bought and homefill...others agree...

I'm not sure what dusty is talking about.

If you think about it, the drop in purity is probably very similar to adding compressed air, like the new gtts... but much less control i suppose.

No i'm not trying to say use homefill o2 instead of buying a new gtt set-up.

it was just a thought.
    Last edited by LooseSeal Baller; 03-23-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry-Allen View Post
    homefills won't fill a tank unless the purity is at least 90%...

Personally i can't tell the difference between store bought and homefill...others agree...

I'm not sure what dusty is talking about.
    I use concentrators most of the time - I'm not saying it's a bad idea. It seems like he's expecting a difference between a homefill and concentrators, and unless he's wanting to increase pressure or flow, he's going to be disappointed.

I can tell a difference between tanked and concentrators, even (especially?) on a small flame using low pressure, and it's not due to pressure or flow, so it seems that purity is the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyg View Post
    I use concentrators most of the time - I'm not saying it's a bad idea. It seems like he's expecting a difference between a homefill and concentrators, and unless he's wanting to increase pressure or flow, he's going to be disappointed.

I can tell a difference between tanked and concentrators, even (especially?) on a small flame using low pressure, and it's not due to pressure or flow, so it seems that purity is the difference.

have you used homefill tanked o2? it doesn't sound like it. not trying to be rude. but like i said i cant' tell the difference not even a little. I have a couple friends who say the same thing. I used store bought tanks for 3 years, and one guy has been lampworking for 17+yrs and the other has been doing it for at least 10+years. They both say that the difference isn't noticeable...

Personally i haven't ran off a concentrator alone so maybe you are correct. but it seems if that were the case the homefills wouldn't be so popular...just sayin or the HVLP for that matter...

Pm me dusty and we can chat there instead of on this progress thread.

Jxbeys your shaping looks nice! I like those sherlocks with the red stems!
    Last edited by LooseSeal Baller; 03-23-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Well the tanked oxy I was running off was via homefill. Forgive my ignorance as I'm still very new, but it seemed like my flame was hotter and more capable. Maybe it was all in my head. It would be nice to not have pressure limitations though, especially moving forward in the future with other torches.

Thanks for the info....and sorry for the slight derail on your page Jxbey!

no derail at all im debating what i should do next ive been looking into linking oxy cons vs hoooking up a few to a compressor w/ storage tank vs getting a homefill hooked up vs liquid. we have two torches running at about 40 hours a week trying to figure what would be best for my situation especially once im running at higher psi on bigger torches. looking to get higher pressures from the oxy cons i havent noticed a difference in tanked vs generated oxy other than the pressure. i have no idea what psi the concentrators are putting off one set at 6lpm and another at 8lpm linked togther and then straight to scorpion.

Well the tanked oxy I was running off was via homefill. Forgive my ignorance as I'm still very new, but it seemed like my flame was hotter and more capable. Maybe it was all in my head. It would be nice to not have pressure limitations though, especially moving forward in the future with other torches.

Thanks for the info....and sorry for the slight derail on your page Jxbey!
    It's probably the difference in pressure. A 20psi concentrator only maintains 20psi against a stopped flow. Once it's allowed to flow, the pressure drops off, though I've got no idea how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry-Allen View Post
    have you used homefill tanked o2? it doesn't sound like it. not trying to be rude. but like i said i cant' tell the difference not even a little. I have a couple friends who say the same thing. I used store bought tanks for 3 years, and one guy has been lampworking for 17+yrs and the other has been doing it for at least 10+years. They both say that the difference isn't noticeable...
    Either the difference is noticable, or my concentrators are putting out lower purity than you're getting. I work different than most lampworkers, using a smaller flames to make smaller items, so it could just be that slight changes affect me more.
    Last edited by dustyg; 03-23-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jxbey View Post
    no derail at all im debating what i should do next ive been looking into linking oxy cons vs hoooking up a few to a compressor w/ storage tank vs getting a homefill hooked up vs liquid. we have two torches running at about 40 hours a week trying to figure what would be best for my situation especially once im running at higher psi on bigger torches. looking to get higher pressures from the oxy cons i havent noticed a difference in tanked vs generated oxy other than the pressure. i have no idea what psi the concentrators are putting off one set at 6lpm and another at 8lpm linked togther and then straight to scorpion.
    If you want the easy and most affordable i would go homefill. I run a mirage and it does well on the homefill supply. my 2 friends mentioned before use cc's. one homefill can provide oxygen for 40hrs of torch time a week.

each has its pros and cons. while the homefills are cheap and pretty safe, they aren't the easiest to fix unless you're handy, but a + is they can be bought used and are fairly common.

Supplying your own compressor with o2 and storing it in a tank has it pros and cons as well. I see it as a faster turn around on o2, but it requires more safety precautions, and figuring flow rates etc... vs a homefill(mainly because the homefills are engineered for medical use and have to meet extreme safety guidelines)and hook into o2 bottles that are oxygen cleaned and safe. Filling your own storage tank to low pressures isn't necessarily dangerous, but you should follow proper cleaning guidelines, and never cut corners when it comes to safety.

as for buying o2 from a company, i can't even imagine doing that anymore. (i'm sure others have got good deals on liquid, but when i was on liquid the rental fees were 3$ a day...so 90$ a month +120 fill etc...it worked well for 3-4 people in our shop, but on a smaller scale i don't blow enough glass by myself to make it worth while.

I say do the homefill you won't regret it. i haven't met anyone who's said different.

How close to full potential would you say your scorpion is running off just the oxycons? I've been on the wait list for a Sidewinder specifically b/c I had planned to only use oxycons.

How close to full potential would you say your scorpion is running off just the oxycons? I've been on the wait list for a Sidewinder specifically b/c I had planned to only use oxycons.
    The oxy cons currently have me running at like 25% of tanked but i had got these oxy cons used from the owners of torch previously and he was happy to sell them he gave me a fair warning they were on the out. gonna see about getting them refurbished or buying some used from the business refurbing them local if not from saltcity. i couldnt accurately answer that question until i hook it up to oxycons that i know are running at 100%. upgrading from alpha was awesome huge new flame but its hard to compare that og flame i got first week running it to now but ive been able to watch the oxy cons dwindle down slowly. seeing someone run tanked and coming back to running my torch is what made me realize how awful shape the oxy cons really were but before that i was working fine not thinking twice about it. i could still run the oxy cons and make whatever im capable of its just alot slower pace. when i bought the torch he warned me not to run tanked becuase i wouldnt want to go back to oxy cons. again ill see once i get new oxy cons hooked up i think it will make a huge difference but from what ive gathered oxy cons wont be as good as tanked unless you have something pressurizing the flow. ill post once i get her rehooked up to new oxy cons hopefully this week unless i need to get them from salt, how long have you been on waitlist for sidewinder?

Yikes! 25%...that's rough. I've been on the list since the end of August - I stopped following up b/c it seemed pointless. And if I go homefill then I no longer need a low pressure torch, and would be inclined to just get a triple mix. Hope you get your oxycons sorted out quick, sounds like any upgrade and you'll be stoked!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4269.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	72863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4270.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	72864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4273.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	72865
    Enjoying running tanked gotta fix the crack running in the wigwag hopefully. spacey tech with fresh water wig sections by goldengate with poor man encalmo silver iris/cobalt on bowl. seeing what operating at different psi does might run centerfire on oxycons tanked outer even after i get the cons fixed, have to see how good flow rates are.

Got intouch with local oxy con repair turned out to be really helpful dude who knows quite a bit about glassblowing torches running off concentrators. knew all the torches capable of running off cons and what he could do to maximize the concentrators for maximum function with torching in mind. check out his website hobbiesforus.com contact by phone and let him know what torch you are using and he can guide you. 586-524-7505
    found out one of my oxy cons wasnt functioning properly and the other was just fine was able to test psi at 9 and purity around 95% on both concentrators but still not runnning my outer fire near potential, id say at about 50% with my current setup. Gonna try working something out with him to link up another oxy con soon so id have 3 linked together, 2 5lpm 1 10 lpm all most likely at 9psi and see how my outer fire works, if its not up to par id return it and get a footpetal and just run the 2 cons on center and tanked on outer. the 2 oxy cons runs the center fire(cricket) at 100% just dont have pressure that the outer fire needs. one step closing to figuring out solution

That's cool, congrats. I got my previous pair of concentrators from Jay at hobbiesforus. They lasted me a long time, and Jay was always had great service on the rare occasions I needed it.

Nice, glad to hear things have improved

I am running a Cheetah on a new 8lpm-15psi from salt city glass and it does a pretty good job, 2 would realy kick ass.

The Cheetah is 13 jets much like the Scorpion. I kind of wish I would have gotten a Scorpion, the triple mix is not anything I would have missed.

i really like the scorpion and have thought about getting another that way me and shopmate are running same setup. i had seen your post snoop about the oxy cons not running torch full boar heatwise but its workable and easy on the wallet and back and i feel that. your 15 psi is whats keeping you cranking like i said mine are only at 9 psi linked together they arent at 18 because the flow is lost linking them maybe around 13 ish psi rocking out from 2 linked together and thats against a closed system rather than them running torch. might see about running just one on center see how that works that way once we get 2 2 stages going we each have a single oxy con on center and tanked outer maybe not. if not running 2 oxy cons for each center fire tanked outer. looking into 2nd torch atm if anyone has anything they want to get rid of let me know. really open to anything bigger than alpha and bigger the better, been thinking about champion but i feel like i could get just as much out of a red max as far as not needing a petal because its not 2 stage running oxy cons on top fire and tanked for bottom. all honesty champion would be too big for my needs atm the scorpion is perfect size for what i want to be doing in now/near future but i need to get my bud off the alpha asap

i really like the scorpion and have thought about getting another that way me and shopmate are running same setup. i had seen your post snoop about the oxy cons not running torch full boar heatwise but its workable and easy on the wallet and back and i feel that. your 15 psi is whats keeping you cranking like i said mine are only at 9 psi linked together they arent at 18 because the flow is lost linking them maybe around 13 ish psi rocking out from 2 linked together and thats against a closed system rather than them running torch. might see about running just one on center see how that works that way once we get 2 2 stages going we each have a single oxy con on center and tanked outer maybe not. if not running 2 oxy cons for each center fire tanked outer. looking into 2nd torch atm if anyone has anything they want to get rid of let me know. really open to anything bigger than alpha and bigger the better, been thinking about champion but i feel like i could get just as much out of a red max as far as not needing a petal because its not 2 stage running oxy cons on top fire and tanked for bottom. all honesty champion would be too big for my needs atm the scorpion is perfect size for what i want to be doing in now/near future but i need to get my bud off the alpha asap
    All the other info i've read says the psi doesn't increase.

Say if you link 2 or 3 oxycons together and they all put out 9 psi.... the psi is going to be 9...the flow will increase but i don't think that will raise your pressure. I could be wrong, but thats what dozens of others have said. Maybe they are all wrong. idk.

Do you have a psi gauge hooked up to confirm this? or is it just speculation?

I agree with Barry...all the research I've done says PSI does not increase when linked, only flow increases. And you should really use oxycons that are all the same PSI for optimal performance.

When using all of a concentrator's flow, the psi takes a hit, so your 9psi concentrator might only maintain a pressure of 2psi when you're raging your torch. If you add another concentrator so that you're not maxing out the flow, it keeps the psi from taking that hit (or at least keeps it from taking the full hit), and increases the effective psi. It's not that you get 18psi out of 2 9psi machines, but that having 2 makes it to where you might actually get 9psi out of them because you're not using their flow fully.

I've paired concentrators with differing psi's before. What happens is the concentrator with lower pressure doesn't even flow until the other concentrator is almost at max flow. I don't know if that's bad for the machines or not, but I do know that it gave the torch a much higher top-end than either machine alone would give.
    Last edited by dustyg; 03-25-2015 at 09:15 AM.