The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Propane Regulator on an Oxygen line??

Default Propane Regulator on an Oxygen line??

Can you use a Propane Regulator on an Oxygen Line?
    I got a Smith Little Torch for Xmas. Thing is that it uses a lot lower oxygen pressure setting than my Phantom. I have 3 propane regulators (one in use) and several propane bottles; but only one (in use) oxygen regulator. I am just trying to avoid buying another oxygen regulator right now.
    I was thinking of using a “Y” fitting on the low pressure side of the oxygen regulator attached to the tank and attaching the propane regulator to one leg for the Little Torch. All I think I would need is a B female to standard male pipe fitting to make this work.
    Your input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bernie

Default Re: Propane Regulator on an Oxygen line??

What a great gift! I wouldn't use a propane regulator for oxy. However, I have my little torch t'd off of the oxy line feeding my large torch. I use 40 psi, and it has been fine for years, no problems.

I also have my little torch on y's off the lines to my mirage (30psi oxy and 7psi gas) and it is great for the 6 and 7 tips. A little too much for the smallest tips but I never really use those anyways as the flames are pretty much useless for boro they are sooo tiny.

I wouldn't use the propane regulator.

Without doing any research, I am reasonably confident that the cleanliness standards are different for the propane and oxygen equipment, and am somewhat less confident in stating that the materials in the equipment are different.

If you still want to pursue the propane regulator, I can do some research.

Propane Threads are backwords... Oxy regular .... Good luck finding that special fitting. (Edit: on a shelf in New York )

If you get a splitter for your lines, with valves built in , you can limit the flow to the hand torch.Just crack the oxy line valve a tiny bit open, It's a baind aid, but it really helps.
    Last edited by BORO; 12-29-2014 at 11:36 PM.

The fittings are easy to find (less than $4.50 for the outlet fitting), but I don't like that idea.

I like the throttle valve idea better. The torch is a premix, so there must be flashback arrestors somewhere in the line, so depending on where those are located, that might be more cost effective than setting up another regulator.

You would also have to adapt the inlet of the regulator to oxygen threads.
    Last edited by Skipjack; 12-29-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks for all of your input..... Bernie

No.

That said...

Someone with the experience, tools, and parts, could probably reconfigure a general gas regulator fitted for propane over to oxygen, but it wouldn't be cheap - might cost more than the regulator is worth.

There's too many reasons to list as to why the generic answer is no.... not the least of which is "it's not safe"

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓