The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: condensation removing fume??

Default condensation removing fume??

heres a question for yall

been doing some basic iso fume in conturax pipes lately and every now and then ill have this problem

i finish the pipe, let it bench cool, and then go in to remove blowtube and make mouthpiece
    but sometimes when im done there will be splotchy areas where the fume has been removed.

its not being rubbed away by a reamer or anything, i already learned that one. in a couple of them it clearly looks like an a drop of water has rolled around removing the fume in its wake. can water do this? i took one of the affected pipes in and washed it with alcohol and salt and all the fume remained so i know its cooked in, which is whats boggling me.

any input??

Default Re: condensation removing fume??

When it's hot, yes, condensation will remove little spots of fume, or will change the color of it. When I get to the end of two tubes, I will weld the ends together, and pull that out into a point so I have handles to hold onto. This usually creates condesation inside the tube, which then dries as I pull the next point. Once I fume it, it leaves little spots where all the codensation was. These usually turn out to be my favorite pieces just because it adds a little flare to the fume.

Try putting the piece in your kiln for a little bit before taking off the mouthpiece. Also don't hold it where gravity will carry the moisture to the mouthpiece but elbow down so you can keep it in your handle.

thanks guys. figured easiest solution was to put in the kiln.