The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Classic debate of glass being solid or liquid on one of my fav sites IFLS

Default Classic debate of glass being solid or liquid on one of my fav sites IFLS

Well here you go, one of my new favorite sites called "I Fucking Love Science" touching on our classic debate we have had many discussions on in many places here on TMP! "Is Glass a liquid or a Solid?"

http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/...olid-or-liquid

Not one of their most informative articles, but hey...maybe it will inform some people on here of the answer...
    Last edited by KLAW; 01-27-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Default Re: Classic debate of glass being solid or liquid on one of my fav sites IFLS

Super cooled liquid in my eyes. Cool article

Default Re: Classic debate of glass being solid or liquid on one of my fav sites IFLS

i think the existence of tektites and desert glass shoots a few holes in the argument that glass is a liquid.

it's some of the oldest glass on the earth (oligocene, ~30 million years) and it hasn't slumped, pooled, or behaved in any way like a liquid.

i fucking love science is great though =D

My windows are melting!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/fadedglassworks

irony = smoking a cigarette in order to check your ventilation system.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States

950°f

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Glass is neither a solid nor a liquid - it's an addiction...

I was under the impression that glass was in a special category called an "Amorphous solid". I've read it other places, but I think contemporary lamp working was the first place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass

Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    Glass is neither a solid nor a liquid - it's an addiction...
    Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
    I was under the impression that glass was in a special category called an "Amorphous solid". I've read it other places, but I think contemporary lamp working was the first place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass
    Agreed "amorphous solid"

If u think of it even steel has a melting point
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin