The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need advice cutting large 1/4" thick mirror. So frusterated.

Default Need advice cutting large 1/4" thick mirror. So frusterated.

I have a 60" wide mirror that I need to cut 2" off. The mirror is 1/4" thick. I have a few pieces of scrap mirror that are 1/4" thick as well that I've been practicing on.

EVERY time I try to cut the scrap it fractures below the score line. I can't get a single clean snap. I always end up pounding the glass with a stick to finally get it to break.. but it only breaks in chucks along the score line and eventually the whole piece just shatters before I can smash it all the way down the line.

I believe I'm using steel wheel cutters... I've read that the only real difference between steel and carbide is longevity. The steel cutter should still score 1/4" mirror just fine.

I'm cutting on a flat surface. I'm using a clamped straight edge to run the cut along. The score line runs to the absolute edge of each side of the mirror. I've tried with and without oil (WD40). I've tried tapping along the score line with the ball end. I've tried clamping the glass in the notches on the cutter and twisting every which way but it only tears off little chunks.

I know you're supposed to do one a single score line but out of frustration I've also tried running over the score line many many times (I don't need a perfect finished edge). The mirror actually broke along the line much better when I did this but eventually the whole pane broke before I could break all the chunks off.

I've also tried pouring boiling water on one half of the score line (taping and insulating the other half). I've use this method to cut bottles... but it didn't work with the mirror.

I have multiple cutters that I've been using.. switching wheels every 3 or 4 attempts. Tried about 20 times now.

Can someone offer any advice.. I've tried every method I've seen online so far and I'm out of ideas.

Default Re: Need advice cutting large 1/4" thick mirror. So frusterated.

Why not pay a professional to do it? It's not an expensive job.

ThreeE: Thanks. Saw that video. I've already tried tapping all long the score line with the ball end... hitting it progressively harder and harder until I'm slamming it into the glass with no success.

Dustyg: The mirror was delivered to me for free a while ago. It's 60"x60". I'm trying to avoid paying for delivery to a glass cutter.

One continuos score just heavy enough you hear it scratch the glass. Then you really need this tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Pro-1-I.../dp/B0010DNV6G

You can probably buy running pliers locally or stop by a stained glass shop and buy an old pair.

Ok, some success. Did a few more scores and really focused on tapping the underside of the score. Was able create a deep run accross the length of the score, then snapped it with the notch on the glass cutter. It broke in one solid chunk and left a jagged edge.. which is fine because the final piece will be framed.

Going to test another then try it on the big piece.

Try doing what they said in the video of getting a good run across the back then flipping it and tapping all the way across the other side. I think that will result in a cleaner break.

Success! The large piece is cut. I have to give credit to ThreeE for linking that video. I focussed again on tapping the top and bottom of the score and this time tapped it about a thousand times and it finally worked.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post and offer suggestions. Cheers.