The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No!!!! Schott factory fire causes $50 million in damage

Sad No!!!! Schott factory fire causes $50 million in damage

Default Re: No!!!! Schott factory fire causes $50 million in damage

optical glass plant.

Sucks for the people who won't have a place to work for a few weeks (80 of 203 employees were already going to be laid off before the fire)

Shouldn't have any impact on tubing and rod production, as that's not done at this plant.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

That sucks in a number of different ways, the most obvious and unfortunate being for the people who worked there and the local community.

And while they don't make Duran rod or tubing there, it is where they made the Schott S8 paperweight gobs. I'm not sure if the S8 melt that was initially planned for last November did in fact take place, but if not, it may be quite a while before any new S8 gobs are seen.

*IF* it did take place, the gobs are safe in the warehouse, which received only smoke and water damage.

Depending on market needs and capability/capacity, production *might* be done in Germany (Desag plant) until Duryea is back up to capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    optical glass plant.

Sucks for the people who won't have a place to work for a few weeks (80 of 203 employees were already going to be laid off before the fire)

Shouldn't have any impact on tubing and rod production, as that's not done at this plant.
    Thanks for that Doug. I was just wondering if I needed to make some special arrangements in case they were out of production on rod and tube for a while. Its almost time to order clear for me.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

If you know the Way broadly you will see it in all things. -Musashi

Q: Prove God doesn't exist.
    A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

on a related note, Simax makers are doing some kind of every 4 year overhaul, and it has screwed up me buying a few cases recently.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.