The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: All aboard the failboat!

Cool All aboard the failboat!

It cracked because I spaced out and let it get too cold. It didn't want to heal. Happens!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	74485

Losing pieces always sucks and sometimes can be really discouraging and expensive. It always helps me to learn something from it, which I often do. It makes it all worth it. Also I've found some pretty awesome things by accident.

Show off your failboats! I'll be back with more
    ~Misha

Default Re: All aboard the failboat!

Most time consuming fail boat to date. Spent so much time in the fire it cracked
    Nah, nah. See, I meant to do that.

so sorry... thats a miserable feeling...

Nooooo!!

My teacher always told me failing is ok as long as you learn from it. Although it definitely does suck to lose a piece you've put a lot of time and effort into.
    There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive. This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame ; it comes to the soldier, war mad on a stricken battlefield and refusing quarter. ~ Jack London

Instagram ---- Captain_Glass

Haha paul, the one thing I learned from skateboarding is no matter how many times you fall you get up brush yourself off and try again. I gained great insight from others on this piece to not give up when it goes awry like this, adapt and transform it into something else. Too bad this happened before that insight and I dunked it hot into water lol, but honestly in my learning I never thought what can I make this into when things went wrong I just tossed it aside and moved on cause it wasn't what I set out to make

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Haha paul, the one thing I learned from skateboarding is no matter how many times you fall you get up brush yourself off and try again. I gained great insight from others on this piece to not give up when it goes awry like this, adapt and transform it into something else. Too bad this happened before that insight and I dunked it hot into water lol, but honestly in my learning I never thought what can I make this into when things went wrong I just tossed it aside and moved on cause it wasn't what I set out to make
    I love dunkin crappy work into the water dish... if they don't fit, just jam it in there or dump the water on top of said piece...+1

My first successful vase. Flowers come up and the figurine on top holds them. It was beautiful for 10 minutes. There's a garage door over my head where I work now that didn't used to be there. Longer punty caught it and the seal failed. Yikes!

All aboard!!!

Name:	Burn.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	74498

Oops...wrong kind of fail!

Dish soap!

This is not an owie thread! no gross pics please lol. That one isn't gross, I just don't want more to follow. I scroll by the owies as fast as I can. I have a weak tummy lol.

Damn Paul, sucks about the vase and marble. They were cool.

Captain is right, if we learn something from it it's worth it.
    ~Misha

Name:	IMG_20150513_163143[1].jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	590.2 KB 
ID:	74545

cracked at the last step, cobalt ....

Name:	0517150930.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	608.2 KB 
ID:	74547

my third donut ever was going so well then i go to grab another piece lift the punty door and it fell out of the kiln, got a bunch of fuzz and paint from the floor burnt onto it. I had like three things fall out last night. i think what i learned was i cant have parts for 3 rigs all going at once in my 99ls (too crowded), try to keep stuff farther in the back of the kiln, and last but not least get a real studio with a flat surface i can put my kiln on haha. i may rotate my kiln so everything rolls to the side instead of the front if theres enough space.

I'm scared of how much I'm going to contribute to this thread. Steak that last step seems to be where it happens for me too. I cold seal punty up, then it either cracks from the thermal shock or the weld fails. I have to start using my grabbers, but they keep shocking it and cracking it too even heating up the grabbers. Smh

This is an old one, but this happened on the way to the kiln, in between adding another section. Hate it when that happens.

spoon fell off blow tube right before the kiln session...
    bubbler can fail i forgot what exactly happened, but i think i forgot to shape the bottom all the way...basically tried to skip a step and it cost me...

Name:	RSCN1211[1].JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	74579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSCN1212[1].JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	74580

How fitting that this thread is here! I was looking for something supportive to read having just lost a piece I had put about 10 or 12 hours into over the course of three days.
    It was a custom sidecar bubbler with a separate "dry carb" bowl section. I've always done my bubblers this way, but I use a lot of color in my designs, which makes the walls really thick, and it's not uncommon to have difficulty with cracking around the weld between the top and bottom of the can. The weld is between the open end of a section and a flat or rounded surface. That's usually where the trouble starts.

Name:	briken bubb.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	74581

This one went beyond cracking, the whole piece essentially broke apart in my hands once I welded the mouthpiece and bridges on. You can't really see all the cracks in the picture. There were actually little slivers of glass flying off the piece. It's possible there was a compatibility issue as well because I encased a layer of Star White in a layer of Asian Jade White. I am feeling so defeated and also stupid for spending so much time and materials working on this and having nothing to show for it. I'm not sure what I've learned, other than maybe I shouldn't make bubblers anymore. I have had some really great successes with this particular design (different color scheme) but even more total failures.

Such nice would have beens!

Liquidsands you should definitely make more bubblers. It sounds like a compatibility issue to me, too. But it looks nice!
    ~Misha

A few from the jar on my desk.

I can't write straight.

Views:	261 
Size:	859.3 KB 
ID:	74582

I can't write evenly either lol.

Views:	243 
Size:	901.1 KB 
ID:	74583

I should cold work this, which is now "these" instead.

Views:	230 
Size:	687.2 KB 
ID:	74584

Views:	245 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	74585
    ~Misha