The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: big ole "hippy fire starter" up for auction in FBland

Default big ole "hippy fire starter" up for auction in FBland

You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I知 trying to not embarrass myself.

Default Re: big ole "hippy fire starter" up for auction in FBland

Hello , very nice orb great job on the peel. It's not one of the basic skills one needs to blow glass . It's one of the prep steps for making quality clear and nice. We should put together a tutorial on peeling glass for the forum if one is not already here . I am coming back to the forum with the intention of helping and learning only. Fucking with you and HMK or Stroker just to get a rise out of ya is over. Thank you for the link to that clear orb it's nice
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Glad to hear this Jay. Also I don't think there is a tutorial on skinning glass, would be good to have around. Maybe in the higher learning forum
    ~Misha

boxfan willy did one in The Flow (or was it Glassline?) a few years back, i have the issue at home i can check out which one when i get home.

and it drives me nuts, but i can't not peel clear when i use it. nothing i hate more then scummy clear!

Funksizzle is about 399 for 400 in the last week on the hook shots boeey, and the only one missed was a long stringy one attached to a awkward glob.

Season batting average: .964

I dont think skills like sizzle's got can be taught. Three pointer to x crossover, back to three pointer x crossover punty. Hell naw, cant be taught playas. ( x crossover= switching from left hand to right hand while spinning both pontils)

The fresh color rod double glass baton dancing and popping on a 4 min smoke break, premasterlikepiece game prep just cannot be duplicated either.
    (masterlike pieces feature as many aspects of master artwork as possible including motion, stillness, balance, eccentric focus etc...........)

One last thing for the day, just to pump myslef up a little since my my blue suede shoes dont have a jordan button. Sizzle gets down at da throne. (throne's have been shown to increase glasworking skills by two additional blonde on your jock per day in a 2 week trial by funksizzle)

Did I forget to mention its bicep/tricep showoff isolation day, and its bright as fu......................... outside, out there in my knockoff ferrari? Baby Bay know you like, why dont you come and get it, its right here waitin for yas? (My peeling skills seem to be a lottle better on bicep days, additonal testing and theorum to be conducted today)

Sorry, peeling is a essential part of flameworking and essential to getting things straight, I'll keep it a little on topic. It aint new kids on the block, aint no party like a greg nights party cuz a greg night party rocks, rocks.(Dance music has been shown to increase productivity by up to 1/3 of total output in a 3 year study by funksizzle)

Cmon. Cmon.
    Last edited by funksizzle; 06-01-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: I didnt get high enough, so I added stuff.

I, for one, would really appreciate a peeling tut. It doesn't seem like rocket science, conceptually, but like everything glass, it's harder than it looks/sounds.

I try to get as much of the crap off as possible, but there's always some left behind and I know I can do a better job with a few pointers. I looked at one of my marbles under a jewelers microscope-thingy recently and noticed all kinds of scuz that wasn't apparent to me before. Now that I know it's there, I can see it with my naked eye and it drives me nuts.

The thing I love about tutorials that get posted here is the back-and-forth that follows in the comments. Brings up questions that you wouldn't even have known to ask.

my advice is to get your "blank" on a largish handle, heat it up until it has a nice dull glow...then let it cool off a few seconds. then focus your flame on one "strip" of the glass, take a piece of 5mm or whatever size your comfortable wasting a lot of, and swipe it down the length of the blank.
    once i've done one swipe, i'll go and do the direct opposite side. then i just go back and forth peeling section by section. once the length of the blank is skinned, clean up any scum on the end, marver to whatever size you like and add another handle, rip off the first handle, then clean up that side. done.

when i get home from work i'll look to see which issue boxfan did the tut in.

One key thing is literally not giving a crack about a little crack here and there unless its a pipe. Some stuff was went to be given away, or sold with a slight crack in it.

Of course learn from your mistakes, but f trying to fix it. Give it away. Perfection to me is appreciating inperfection. Life would be nothing with perfection. As with the ying yang. Good cannot exist without evil. Light cannot exist if it werent for dark. Dark would not be known unless there were light. You would not see if it were not for light, photreceptors, brain, body, blood, heart............................................. .....

So turn that frown upside down and dont look at your awesome marble like that again, but do try to improve for sure. ANything you see or feel in life is a gift, you just gotta be able to see "in gifts"

Peeling is awlays different, I'll just list factors

1. Heat gradient
    2. Torch you use
    3. Flame size
    4. Gas ratio
    5. Thickness of glass
    6. Thickness of area of heat
    7. Level of moltivity of the end you peel
    8. How saturated the middle is.
    9. Where you heat in the flame..........Center of MB to center of flame's diameter or outside of marble to just tangent with flame's diameter
    10. How long your tweezer is heated or in flame
    11. How close you are to the flame
    12. How hard you tweeze
    13. Hiow hard you pull with tweezers
    14. Where your MB is when you are pulling in accordance with where the flame is
    15. How you peel, whether you do a little at a time, then tweeze it over or is you pull all the wya off everytime
    16. How patient you are to do just a little at a time, with just enough heat

Note that these factors apply to everything in glass and every technique. As with life, everything you do will always change, and you can only get as close to the same as you can. Precision technology will never ever reach a exact and same figure, because precision goes on past infinity when it comes down to small numbers. Someone's gotta draw the line at 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000th of a mm

Thats all I got for now.

Every situation is different.

When I mess up my pattern I start a new one. I am no expert, but am a expert at thinking on my toes, and having faith in myself that I will make something better now that I screwed up. Thats why I do not do things others do, or the way that they do it. If you copy someones honeycomb etc, you are not a artist. Using style as inspiration is different than copying, and of course there's some leeway here, but the point is that everything you make should be unique from someone elses or any of yours in some way or another. Fresh, new, unique=happiness. Quit slaving yourself doing the same stuff unless you enjoy being unhappy.
    Last edited by funksizzle; 06-01-2015 at 11:59 AM.

@ jason lindquist, i do believe this is the issue:
    https://www.theflowmagazine.com/the-...013-print.html

"Marble 101-Cleaning Your Gather and Molding a Perfect Marble

Text and Demonstration by William “Boxfan” Menzies
    Wil Menzies provides a basic foundation for making a clean, round marble in this tutorial. He shares a glass “skinning” technique passed down to him by Lewis C. Wilson that can also be used in other forms of solid glasswork such as paperweights and sculptural pieces"

My biggest issue seems to be getting enough heat into the target "strip" so that my rod doesn't get hung up halfway through the swipe. This causes a tug-of-war that distorts the blank and usually introduces air bubbles that weren't there to begin with.

How wide of a strip do you heat? I'm using a Red Max with the surface mix rider. It doesn't seem to like making a skinny laser flame that will penetrate deep enough to make a clean swipe down the entire length of my blank.

Probably operator error. More practice will certainly lead to improvement, but I burn way too much gas for the results I'm getting, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    @ jason lindquist, i do believe this is the issue:
    https://www.theflowmagazine.com/the-...013-print.html

"Marble 101-Cleaning Your Gather and Molding a Perfect Marble

Text and Demonstration by William “Boxfan” Menzies
    Oooh. Thanks! I'll go dig that up.

paul stankard has a video out there somewhere, i thought it was from cmog but i can't find it atm, geh..

anyway, he's working on one of his giant encasements and goes through the whole process. i'll look around some more for it..

well i'm not finding it, i think it might have been in one of the "800 glassblowing videos!" playlists on youtube somewhere. sorry =p

here's one i did find though, cathy & colin richardson with some good closeups of peeling on the blowpipe.. the big issue that i've found with peeling is keeping everything but the surface cool, and wiping the glass with the gob you've grabbed instead of trying to wipe it with the actual tool.
    Last edited by Yeef; 06-01-2015 at 01:37 PM.

OK. I downloaded the Flow issue with Boxfan's peeling tutorial and just had one of those beautiful light-bulb moments.

It had never occurred to me to gather into a "puck" before peeling. I've always peeled my rods before starting to gather up. Seems obvious, now, that pushing all that exterior glass into a shorter span will help with both controlling the heat base and eliminating the distortion issues because you're not heating such a long section of the skin.

I'm guessing it will also help me to more easily get handles perfectly centered on a nice "bell" shaped maria using this technique.

Thanks again, istandalone24/7.

And special thanks to Boxfan and Dirty Looie for passing down the knowledge.

fwiw, i don't bother gathering into a puck unless i'm trying to skin a huge gather. usually i'll just skin it as is, in 28mm rod form.

but this orb is sold, thanks everyone for looking!