The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sherline Lathes anyone else use one?

Default Sherline Lathes anyone else use one?

Hi Everyone,

I had been looking for a small production lathe for some of the projects here and I found this guy.

http://www.mikestools.com/4000-Sherline-Lathe.aspx

The main problem for me was the fixed drill chuck on the tailstock.

I found a local supplier for a new product which is a drill chuck or a 3 jaw scroll on a bearing system which allows free rotation of a chuck.

These American Made lathes are available anywhere and provide killer functionality for less than $700 new. The rotating chucks are around $300 you can find them here www.zlivecenter.com.

Im curious to what your thoughts were on this machine and its functionality. The factory can step down the controller for you to slow the rotation speed range as well.

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: Sherline Lathes anyone else use one?

These are metal lathes prob no pass threw and that drill chuck does not spin it's to drill . Both wood and metal lathes use them. If you are looking for single head lathe the rundown is one arm bandit 850 it has a 10 mil pass threw and chucks that open over 65 or 70 mil. Then next up is the Berkeley lathe it uses the hsj litton chucks and had a nice pass threw for bigger tube and it's 3 grand without a chuck. Then you have the import machine large and small the large ones come on a table from abr and are 2800 all in. They have a seller on Craigslist with a smaller one for 1800. Some were in the mix is the bumble be which I heard is basically a drill chuck with a bit of pass threw.

Dual head glass lathes start used at about 3500 if you are lucky up up and away from there.

Every once in a blue moon a guy will find a estate sale or something and score one for dirt.

This just happened to Douglass he is waist deep in cool shit for a grand.
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

There is a pass through on the headstock side

But it's basically a single head machin with very little swing . I have a single head cheap machine and it has plenty of swing . 850 is what it cost.

i intend on it paying for itself , then over a extended time it may earn the amount needed for a hsj or a good table top model.
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Quote Originally Posted by jr23 View Post
    But it's basically a single head machin with very little swing . I have a single head cheap machine and it has plenty of swing . 850 is what it cost.

i intend on it paying for itself , then over a extended time it may earn the amount needed for a hsj or a good table top model.
    Old ass thread I know... call me a necromancer derp.. But on the off chance you still scope the forums, do you still have this single head machine? Where did you get it for $850? I can't seem to get google to show me anything when looking up a "one arm bandit lathe".

Quote Originally Posted by β View Post
    I’m glad we’re still talking about banning nomad 10yrs later!

Thanks yeah I saw that but he is asking $1800. Maybe that is due to it requiring some extra parts and time/knowledge to mod one though.