Thread: Glassline POS

Default Glassline POS

I just got this email from Glassline:

Your account (**********) has been suspended due
    to suspicious account activity. Your account has
    exceeded the number of unique hosts we allow to
    access your account.

This is usually a sign of more than one individual
    accessing a single account, which we do not allow.

Please write to us at Editor@hotglass.com if you
    feel this is a mistake. If a mistake has been
    made we will gladly re-activate your account.

Admin,
    www.hotglass.com

I can't take my hard copies to my studio with me or anywhere for that matter because they stopped printing the magazine so I have to login on my computer at my studio which is a laptop I take with me other places as well. What the hell are they thinking? First they say only one issue will be digital only, then they make all the newest issues digital only without giving anyone notice? I never got an email or anything so if anyone did please let me know. I have already emailed the editor and got no response. I then get this shit email? What the fuck? Has anyone else experienced this problem? What is the point of a username and password if you can't use it on other computers. Shit like this just chaps my ass...

Default Re: Glassline POS

That's some shitty shit.

So you pay for a magazine and they decide to make it a permanent blog and not tell anyone? A digital magazine shouldn't be the same price as a printed magazine IMO

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

I feel like I am being screwed and I really liked the mag. I agree, it costs less to produce a pdf file than printing a magazine so it should cost less for the subscription. I didn't like the idea of paying for a magazine and getting digital only but now I can't even access the digital copies. They fucking stole from me as far as I am concerned.

I'd say write Jim and tell him you login from work and home but if he isn't reading his emails...I guess pick up the phone and try? At least then you can access them until your subscription runs out. Then you'll have to decide if you want to renew based on how things are currently.
    ~Misha

That's a form letter sent by a robot without any human intervention. It's just a script watching for people to log in from multiple computers, used to keep people from sharing accounts. Contact a person.

ya know, now that you mention it, I'm pretty upset about this "digital edition" crap too. I just signed up a few months ago, and every one theyve done since has been digital. I wouldnt be willing to pay as much if i knew it wasnt hard copy
    Never explain yourself... your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.

<( Omertà )>

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

yeah, i'd calm down until a real person can be reached. they're not trying to rip you off, just protect their intellectual property. it's just a misunderstanding i'm sure. i will say however, that i did not renew my subscription because they went digital, which i was informed about at one point or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Bummer. It's a crappy deal and I for one bet they spend more time dealing with these issues than kids are using others accounts . I don't know I may be ignorant . I like supporting things and though about getting a magazine but I like mags so I can't do the computer. But when the mags are at the shop everybody that walks in looks at them.
    Netflix even let's you give your info out to like 5 or more can use one account it helps get them more customers.

I bet if Jim made the bot watching and shutting down accounts let a few more log in before shutting down it would help not hurt them.

I know quite a few shops with multiple people that got mags and split the cost and everyone got to read.

What's next making you FaceTime or Skype so they can make sure a friend is not sharing the screen.
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Jim just responded. He said it looks like more than one person is using my account. He said I could try changing my password but it will do it again if I keep accessing it from different hosts or something. I don't know. I'll just download all the digital pdf files until my subscription is over. If the price drops I would consider digital only. I was upset that I am not getting what I am paying for still. It shouldn't be this much of a pain to read a mag I payed for. Oh well back to melting

In the first week I downloaded everything from their archive that I could get my hands on, and if they stay digital without lowering the price, I will not renew. Its a nice magazine, but I need hardcopy, which, as far as I am concerned, is what I paid for.

I dont really get the whole bot thing. If I wanted to share, I have their full archive in unprotected PDF format, and I could just hand someone a flash drive.
    Never explain yourself... your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.

<( Omertà )>

They go by different IP's I'd imagine.
    I connect from 2 different ones..home and work.
    That hasn't triggered the bot thing.
    I'd imagine if you connect from many different places, they all show different Ip's
    and it becomes too many to be acceptable. If you download from first spot, and just use that downloaded copy
    the bot shouldn't trigger.
    Thats about the only way they have to count downloads..if login from different IP's.
    Most people have 2 to 3 devices I'd imagine so that is probably ok. Start hitting 5 or more they probably
    start to question that.

It does suck only being digital. I subscribed to 3 years the month before they went digital. Nothing I can do now for 3 years I guess.

I signed up earlier this year for the first class mail option knowing only that the Dec/Jan issue was online only. I thought it was a one time thing and I would get my subscription in print from then on. I paid $11 more for a subscription so it would ship faster but that's all irrelevant now.

I emailed Jim as well. I asked for an $11 refund for a reduction in my subscription. It's pretty poor business to display shipping options and allow us to pay more for first class mail when they are shipping us exactly nothing.

Will update.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    In the first week I downloaded everything from their archive that I could get my hands on, and if they stay digital without lowering the price, I will not renew. Its a nice magazine, but I need hardcopy, which, as far as I am concerned, is what I paid for.

I dont really get the whole bot thing. If I wanted to share, I have their full archive in unprotected PDF format, and I could just hand someone a flash drive.
    Which would be a copyright violation. You'd be hurting fellow artists, not some huge music/movie studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Aurelius View Post
    Which would be a copyright violation. You'd be hurting fellow artists, not some huge music/movie studio.
    right... but thats not the point. what I was saying is that if someone wanted to share it all, it would be easy, so the whole bot lockout thing seems to be a moot point.

<( Omertà )>

I only logged in from my home and my studio which is 2 locations. Jim actually showed me in the email. 2 different service providers, COX and COMCAST and only 2 locations. Here's the latest email from Jim...

Hi Matthew,

I hope to be back to paper additions soon. I currently do not have enough subscribers and advertisers to cover the cost of printing.
    For 28 years it has been printed/paper ...

I'm trying to get back to the printed issue, everybody loves Glass Line but it is just not enough ...
    Actually subscriptions are up a little, not enough yet but climbing, the main problem is advertisers, for different reasons they've been pulling their ads, Northstar: expanding - discontinued ads with everybody, etc., the economy is getting better ... you think they would increase advertisement but it's just not working like it should, or should I say ... need it too, LOL.
    Printing costs have gone up along with everything else pretty much what everybody expected but the mailing cost is just gone ballistic, what used to cost $.40 to mail, now costs $2.50 just can't do it without more advertisement or double the cost of subscriptions.

It would be nice if everyone would thank their suppliers for keeping their favorite magazine going, LOL

Sincerely,
    Jim / Glass Line
    PS ... I'll start printing with the next issue if you can come up with five pages of advertisers, that's all it would take.

I payed the extra money for first class shipping as well. I believe that is fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattypo View Post
    I only logged in from my home and my studio which is 2 locations. Jim actually showed me in the email. 2 different service providers, COX and COMCAST and only 2 locations. Here's the latest email from Jim...

Hi Matthew,

I hope to be back to paper additions soon. I currently do not have enough subscribers and advertisers to cover the cost of printing.
    For 28 years it has been printed/paper ...

I'm trying to get back to the printed issue, everybody loves Glass Line but it is just not enough ...
    Actually subscriptions are up a little, not enough yet but climbing, the main problem is advertisers, for different reasons they've been pulling their ads, Northstar: expanding - discontinued ads with everybody, etc., the economy is getting better ... you think they would increase advertisement but it's just not working like it should, or should I say ... need it too, LOL.
    Printing costs have gone up along with everything else pretty much what everybody expected but the mailing cost is just gone ballistic, what used to cost $.40 to mail, now costs $2.50 just can't do it without more advertisement or double the cost of subscriptions.

It would be nice if everyone would thank their suppliers for keeping their favorite magazine going, LOL

Sincerely,
    Jim / Glass Line
    PS ... I'll start printing with the next issue if you can come up with five pages of advertisers, that's all it would take.
    So you paid for the magazine, now he wants you to work sales for him to get what you paid for? Never mind that artists are the ones providing content for his magazine to begin with.

I hate to see a resource die, but I let my subscription lapse after the move to digital. I like pulling out the piles of print magazines and flipping through the pages and rediscovering something I hadn't considered in a while. Someone suggested printing out the digital copy if I really want it in print. No thanks.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Jim must have all kinds of cash laying around selling paper magazine that you don't have the expenses of printing and mailing. I have a friend that paid for the magazine and has NO access to a computer let alone the internet. He thought they went out of business. He just stopped getting the magazine. He was pretty pissed when I told him they switched to digital Format. He never even got a letter saying anything changed. So he has a subscription to a magazine he can't read.

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

He really needs to send a letter out to his subscribers.
    ~Misha

It is a little nuts to charge for 2 tiers of shipping on a digital magazine....