The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: lampworking workshop with softglass?

Icon5 lampworking workshop with softglass?

Hi everyone,

I know that quite a lot of members of this forum actually live in US and I also know that most of you probably work with boro glass or similar. So I was wondering, if there would be interest in this community, if I'm going to ask, if someone would be interested in a softglass workshop in southeastern PA.

My present situation is thus: Right now, I'm still in Germany where I learned to work with softglass and later worked with it too. All in all, I made it to 22 years of experience meanwhile. My next step (on which I am working already) is to move to US and merge my company with my business partners company to form an even better one together. Our plans are not only to get going with work at his location, but also to start with courses for others, if someone is interested. The plans are to do courses for beginners as well as advanced lampworkers. We are thinking of courses in beadmaking but also off-mandrel figurines (animals, flowers, jewelry). I think it could be quite interesting to test working with softglass, if you only used boro for your art so far. Our planned courses would give you that chance with my help and instructions.
    If you're interested to see, what my art looks like, check the album in my profil. I just added a few more photos in there. That should give an idea, what our courses will be about.

I would appreciate any feedback of you here on this subject. I'm really curious for your answers. Thanks in advance

Sandra

Default Re: lampworking workshop with softglass?

Hi, Sandra. I started out working with soft glass. Every time I do soft glass work now, I realize how spoiled I am by borosilicate's forgiving nature! I'm too far away (Texas) to take advantage of your future classes, unfortunately. Have you also posted at Lampworketc.com? They are primarily a soft glass group (and very nice people) and I am absolutely certain they would love to hear about your plans as well!
    Josh
    Confessed compulsive glassturbator

GTT Mirage, Homefill, top-loading/hand-roasting Paragon kiln

I'd be interested in the class, but I'm also in Texas. I think you might have better luck finding interested people over at lampworketc.com - there are a lot more soft glass workers there.

Hi and thanks for your response. I haven't tried in the other forum yet. Should have a login there already though. Good thinking. I'll leave a message there next.

Quote Originally Posted by CrassGlass View Post
    Hi, Sandra. I started out working with soft glass. Every time I do soft glass work now, I realize how spoiled I am by borosilicate's forgiving nature!
    Hi CrassGlass, soft glass needs a lot more thinking of how you do things. That's why I believe it's a good idea to help with instructions on what is possible. I'm looking forward to get started with this. Have been teaching other lampworkers here too. But I'm in an area where people work with soft glass already. So it will be a challenge to get going with people used to borosilicate glass.