The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Looking for material which molten glass will stick to

Icon5 Looking for material which molten glass will stick to

Hi!

I am looking for material which molten glass will stick to.
    Let me explain more - i am working with stringers (2mm) and i'm looking for a way to melt the tip of the stringer (with oxi-propane torch) so the dripping glass will eventually stick to this surface. I don't care if the glass will stick to the material forever..

I had tried glass fibers sheet, it partially worked, but the molten glass did not sticked to it very well.

Will be happy to hear your thoughts!

Default Re: Looking for material which molten glass will stick to

You can get boro in small sheets/plate glass its just expensive.

Molten glass does stick pretty well to molten glass. What kind of surface? A flat plate? Your question isn't very clear - you could be asking for anything from, well, blow a bubble and decorate it, to a bead mandrel. Do you literally want to melt glass hot enough that it just drips off the working rod and falls down onto something? That seems a strange way to work glass - well, unless you're pulling fiber optics.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Your best choice would probably be just about any metal. Since you've said you don't care whether the glass sticks to it forever, then it doesn't even matter what metal it is, as long as it can handle the initial heat you'll need to get it to stick. (The metal will need to be fairly hot before the glass will stick to it.) And the expansion needn't be compatible with the glass you're using for stringers. Stainless, iron, or any number of other metals will work. But don't use aluminum, it can't handle the heat.

I picturing a hot drip painting technique. If so stainless steel over other steel, colors might change otherwise. If you need it to come off for sure, paint a thin coat of bead release on the steel first. Like brads said get it hot or it won't stick.

eranglr- I don't know what kind of things you are looking for (or what you are making), but I have 99%, and 99.9% pure silicon (chunks and sheets) which is compatible with boro. Feel free to give me a call at (724) 791-2100 if you would like to discuss your project and see if this will work for you... I will keep your ideas confidential.