The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed by a subforum?

Default Annoyed by a subforum?

If you are annoyed by a specific subforum here, such as politics, request here to have it not show up.
    ~Misha

Default Re: Annoyed by a subforum?

Can I request that posts from specific users not show up? (::cough::nomad::cough:

(Note: that's not intended to be a smiley, that's simply the end of an emote within a parenthetical.)
    Last edited by mattholimeau; 08-31-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo. I'm freakin tired today, long story.

Is this something that you do for specific people? Or is this going to make it for everyone? When I first saw the politics thread (no, I didn't check it out), I assumed (stupid me) that it would just pertain to anything about the glass industry. I personally don't want to see anything about regular politics, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mattholimeau View Post
    Can I request that posts from specific users not show up? (::cough::nomad::cough:
    Sure, add him to your ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMad3 View Post
    Is this something that you do for specific people? Or is this going to make it for everyone? When I first saw the politics thread (no, I didn't check it out), I assumed (stupid me) that it would just pertain to anything about the glass industry. I personally don't want to see anything about regular politics, but that's just me.
    Are you requesting to not see the politics forum?
    ~Misha

Yes, I personally don't want to see it, or have to wade through the politics just to read glass related stuff. I don't want to ruin it for anyone else though.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMad3 View Post
    Yes, I personally don't want to see it, or have to wade through the politics just to read glass related stuff. I don't want to ruin it for anyone else though.
    Voila, gone (for you)
    ~Misha

i never understood why it's so difficult to just scroll past it, and imho any forum needs an otd area for.....off topic (glass) discussion.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

If I add someone to my ignore list, will their posts merely not show up in the "what's new" feed, or will all posts by that person disappear from all threads entirely? (Apologies if this information is elsewhere and I could have just searched for it.) I don't want to miss parts of a conversation, but it might be nice to not have someone's posts show up on the what's new feed.

Yeah, google of vbulletin ignore got me this: "Posts from users that you are ignoring are hidden from view when logged into the forums." So, that wouldn't quite work. I could be missing a dozen posts in between two messages in any given thread and wouldn't know!

yes if you block someone, it's a complete block you won't even see it in the "what's new" feed.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

i dont see why anyone would want to bring that discussion to a group like this. Every bit of media is already clouded with it. I am glad I cant see it anymore. I cant figure out why I would receive backlash about wanting to come here to catch up on glass, and not have to wade through a halfcocked political discussion. Also then it seems that the main moderator is predjudiced against my comments. Its ok for Nomad to refer to his penis, and flame people. But for me to say, "hey, this conversation is annoying." seems to be some type of infraction of the rules. After reading the rules, I don't see any rule that says I cant put my opinion out there if I am not offending or attacking anyone. My question about how many actual voters are partaking in the thread, was a very legit question, because there was no educated discussion of politics, just the typical flaming of people you disagree with and patting on the back of the people you do agree with. I was reading the forum for a really long time before I joined, and I joined just so I could ask questions when I had trouble finding a full explanation. If I get the ban hammer for posting this, oh well, but it is still biased. If everyone can bury the feed with non glass related thread, I should be able to say that it sucks for someone that comes daily to participate in glass discussion. I am very glad I cannot see it, I guess I can be thankful for that. As for off topic debate threads, I have never been part of a forum that used any off topic boards at all, its not the norm to stay constantly off topic, and I am sure I am not the only person who is put off by it. I proofread this comment to make sure I did not break any rules, although i still expect and infraction or banning for it, which is a shame, and is super lame.
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Matt, it blocks that persons posts, but not others.

Discretion, you asked me in another thread to make it so the politics didn't show up in your feed. I provided a solution. I'm not sure why you're unhappy. Did you want access to the politics forum again so you could ask how many of us vote?
    ~Misha

Quote Originally Posted by discretionglass View Post
    i dont see why anyone would want to bring that discussion to a group like this.
    You don't understand why people would want to talk about something that You personally aren't interested in it. No probs.

Quote Originally Posted by discretionglass View Post
    I cant figure out why I would receive backlash about wanting to come here to catch up on glass, and not have to wade through a halfcocked political discussion
    Would you walk into a bar <serving free drinks> and wonder why you have to wade through (half)cocktail drinkers when you are clearly only interested in the beers?

No, that would be silly. Similar to this.

This is a discussion forum. There's glass... And good stuff other than glass. Any backlash you feel is not an incoming ban stick. Just more of a "Your problem was solved - Enjoy the beers (and quit whining about the cocktails)"
    Last edited by Mac Maestro; 09-01-2015 at 02:24 AM.

I think it's awesome we can hide a section for you if you don't want to see it. Makes it even better. Add your name here so Misha can give you pleasure.

Or something. Did I say that right?

Yeah that's right. If you don't want to see a subforum, like politics, just let me know and it won't show up in your feed anymore. It doesn't mess anyone else up so no worries, it's only for you.
    ~Misha

I suspect the problem is that they're coming in on a phone which defaults to the "What's new" feed, where I imagine everything shows up.

I bookmarked the main forum/forum.php link instead, easy peasy.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Quote Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
    I suspect the problem is that they're coming in on a phone which defaults to the "What's new" feed, where I imagine everything shows up. I bookmarked the main forum/forum.php link instead, easy peasy.
    That was my guess. I use forum runner and it shows the latest posts by thread. So yes you may see a political thread but you don't see 50 new posts just that thread name. I can't imagine wadding through ever new post in order.

To be specific it shows results by thread as opposed to showing results by post.

Maybe that's an option for the activity steam

Nope, but not seeing a specific forum would remove them from the activity feed as well.
    ~Misha

+ Reply to Thread