The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Apprenticeship???

Default Apprenticeship???

So this guy that owns this headshop in town said he'd apprentice me. I've been blowing a month and do really good teaching myself. I know apprenticing would be good but I don't know if he just wants money. He said that he charged a grand to do it and I told him that I wasn't new and would give him $500. He said if I did so he wanted me to work for him at least a year and he didn't want me to sell to the other headshop in town. I said cool whatever, I've been with him a week and he's spent about maybe 30mins with me out of the 4 or 5 days I've been at his place. He give's me $2.50 for a pipe I'd sell to another headshop for 10 and they'd sell for 20. But it's all his tools, gas, and glass I'm using. He says he's been blowin' glass for 10 years and he seems to know what he's talking about but is lazy. His shop is empty, mainly my 30 or so spoons there and he hasn't blown shit, I just don't want to fill his shop up and him not do shit. I was supposed to met him today at his shop and he wasn't there. It's a 45min drive for me. Just asking I figured somebody else may have had somebody try to "apprentice" them. Any other advice on apprenticeship and getting started blowing full time let me know. THanks

Default Re: Apprenticeship???

sounds like the reverse of my nightmares on teaching,i would tell him to F himself and use that $500 for some tools and a good class.if your near mi i do cheap weekends.

It doesn't sound like a very good deal at all man. If I were you I would try to save up a grand and just get a cheap set up going for yourself. If you can make make prodo spoons on your own already you would probably be better off on your own.

i saved for over a year and could take a class or buy some equipment i bought some equipment and im very happy with my choice. there are enought good people out there as this forum shows that are willing to share info.

while you can find pretty much any tech you could ever want on here or other places, i think seeing things in person deffinatly makes a world of difference in learning things. that said, your situation dosent sound like it was worth your money

most glass workers have a sort of 'brotherhood' type feeling towards eachother at some level, which is basicaly what is the heart of this site. im sure you can find some people on here close to you who you could hang out with a few days or whatever and just pick up stuff from them.

as in most things in life, if the only connection with the person is through money, things are pretty much doomed from the start.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

whats the point of "apprenticing" with someone that doesnt work?? doesnt sound like youll learn very much, and isnt learning the point... doesnt sound so hot

Passing the Gential Germ around N.C. for over 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by e-jipt
    So this guy that owns this headshop in town said he'd apprentice me. I've been blowing a month and do really good teaching myself. I know apprenticing would be good but I don't know if he just wants money. He said that he charged a grand to do it and I told him that I wasn't new and would give him $500. He said if I did so he wanted me to work for him at least a year and he didn't want me to sell to the other headshop in town. I said cool whatever, I've been with him a week and he's spent about maybe 30mins with me out of the 4 or 5 days I've been at his place. He give's me $2.50 for a pipe I'd sell to another headshop for 10 and they'd sell for 20. But it's all his tools, gas, and glass I'm using. He says he's been blowin' glass for 10 years and he seems to know what he's talking about but is lazy. His shop is empty, mainly my 30 or so spoons there and he hasn't blown shit, I just don't want to fill his shop up and him not do shit. I was supposed to met him today at his shop and he wasn't there. It's a 45min drive for me. Just asking I figured somebody else may have had somebody try to "apprentice" them. Any other advice on apprenticeship and getting started blowing full time let me know. THanks
    So you been torching a month, and you teach... you are the pele of the glass industry, how dare this man ask for a MERE $1000 from someone of your stature!!! You and Renaldo the ART-TEEST, should get together for lunch and talk about how everyone elses penis is enadiquate to your own...

i think he meant "teaching himself" like he does ok on his own so far....

What the guy was asking sounds cool. It just sounds like he isn't going to hold up on his end.

Don't sell to other shops in town.... That is reasonable got to the next town to get your own accounts if needed.

Stay with him a year...... A year goes by so fast employers need you at least a year. It isn't worth it otherwise to them.

Pay him a $1000 for the year. Sounds somewhat high. But it would cost a good teacher that grand in time spent getting you set up and on glass that is considered second quality or occasionally completly not sellable your first few months. so it also seems somewhat reasonable

You'll find out why the spoons sell for $10 and he wants to pay you $2.50 after a few years trying to manage your own glass biz. Making it is the easy part and also relatvley pretty inexpensive part of the business. Marketing and sales for CONSISTANT results takes time and $$$$

Only thing is sounds like you hooked up with a loser. Find a succesful glassblower that offers you that deal and jump on it. Unless you do want to just do it yourself thats always an option too.

He give's me $2.50 for a pipe I'd sell to another headshop for 10 and they'd sell for 20. But it's all his tools, gas, and glass I'm using.
    25% profit from the start........ I'd do that. No bills, no ordering supplies, no exchanging tanks, just profit.

Yea, I got my own little ghetto ass setup, his shit is way better. I got a national 6-b bench running off 1 oxycon compared to his barrcuda and liquid oxy. But I'm soo good for a month. I've met some other blowers that have been doing it a couple months and my shit is way better. I've already been selling shit to the stores for over a week. So it took me about 2.5 to 3 weeks to start making store quality work on my own. I've got a friend I'm teaching and he's got a job. I don't have a kiln and his first two bowl's didn't crack over night, they looked way good. He's gonna go in halfs with me to get a better set up. Another oxycon, a kiln, and a shed so I won't have to fucking blow outside. I want me and him to go into a little bussiness, maybe even teach my brother how to and have a 3 man workshop. Sound good?

nickglassdood Lurker

haha sounds like your all set man imagine in 3 months how good you will be you must have had the natural talent gift bro i would just start teachin people and start a copany with your friends
    so no kiln and sellin to stores ?? thats sweet dood ya forget a kiln just use a toaster oven dood

jeez

Hell yea, plus this dude told me he blows glass for the money. I don't like that shit, I love the fucking craft of it. I've done a lot of crafts, tying flies and shit like that but glass is way cool.

Quote Originally Posted by nickglassdood
    haha sounds like your all set man imagine in 3 months how good you will be you must have had the natural talent gift bro i would just start teachin people and start a copany with your friends
    so no kiln and sellin to stores ?? thats sweet dood ya forget a kiln just use a toaster oven dood

jeez

Seriously, when are we gonna get that sarcasm font installed?

K

I charge waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than 1000 a year and I make you pay for everything and I make money off everything you make for a year!

In the begginning I believe you are finding yourself and figuring out in general if your going to want to do this as a career. I will teach someone and spend some time with them but you have a lot of learning to do and a lot of it just is you doing the same thing over and over until you don't have to think about what your doing and what come next. There is making nice pipes and there is, "every spoon I make I know I can sell". This person that has hired you has taken on a big expense having a rookie in his shop [they waste a lot of glass and gas] and he needs to be making money to keep his business going due to the added expense of you being there. If he is not going to take on the responsibility of paying at first to have you in his shop then he doesn't know what he is getting himself into. At first Rookie employee's cost you money as a business owner. He needs to making up for any loss to his business not you just remember that. Just think of this..... and I am not being a hardball but if you were my apprentice and you only had one month on the torch and I was only getting ten $10 for a spoon from a store you would get somewhere around $4 and you would be paying for all your supplies! So I think you need to think of the comittment your friend has made before you go thinking your getting such a bad deal.
    ~FlowerMatt

I know 4 is cool but he still says 2.50. Plus I don't waste glass, all my pipes come out fine, I'm just sayin' I'm not going to pay my rent that way, where as I work at home and make $100 a day. Plus save gas and my g'f a 45 min drive both ways.

You don't make 100 a day if your paying for your expences. Glass costs a lot and even more gas and trust me your still learning your torch "your wasting glass and gas" your a rookie its not to be ashamed of. you will learn to work glass faster thus saving gas . You will learn to use less glass to get the same effect. Your just starting and will learn what I'm talking about in time as you progress in your craft
    ~FlowerMatt

blows glass for the money
    Wow he ain't in to eating roots and tree leaves? Gosh the never some pepeol have. Wanting food and a roof over there heads. So selfish!
    Esp sence every one knows supplies and equitment are all free and it don't cost any thing to blow glass. And its not like any one that does it for a living is going to care if they are under cut cause its all fun and games in the real world. Don't let them give you the "oh i have to eat and my kids have to eat jive"
    every one knows its a BS story peep don't really need food. When they can be picking berries and getting high instead. or at the very least living off ffod stamps cause they just give them away anyway.
    I'm sure there land loards would be much happier also with a frindly smile and a hug in lue of rent. to sence its wirth the same as $ to the bank that might hold the morgage on the property that his landlord has the nerve to charge $ for.

and ya when are we gonna get that sarcasm font installed? I can't find it.

Well I like blowing glass and would gladly still do it if no money or loss of money applied. I just think it's awesome that you can make a living doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanLathe
    You don't make 100 a day if your paying for your expences. Glass costs a lot and even more gas and trust me your still learning your torch "your wasting glass and gas" your a rookie its not to be ashamed of. you will learn to work glass faster thus saving gas . You will learn to use less glass to get the same effect. Your just starting and will learn what I'm talking about in time as you progress in your craft
    Yea, your totally right in that aspect. I meant that my pile of defects isn't growing very fast anymore.

if its not about the money then take the $2.50 a spoon and be happy.who cares that you can make $7.50 more down the road its about ART not $$.