The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Should Carlisle change the name of their new torch?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please change the name.

8 21.05%
  • No, the name doesn’t matter.

30 78.95%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Customer feedback for Carlisle - Please vote!

Default Re: Customer feedback for Carlisle - Please vote!

I've heard Jesse James has a 2 year waiting list to get one of his motorcycles right now...what do you think he would say if you called him all the time and told him you've been waiting way too long...He knows if YOU stop waiting, YOU lose out, not HIM. Plain and simple. There will be 5 new people geting on the same list that are willing to wait for a superior quality product, by the time you call to get off of it. Sorry, but supply and demand isn't always about $$$.

Well stated Tokin , quality counts.

Shit man, Harley Davidson has a waiting list.

You gotta wait for 6 months to get a prius.

"julian,how many torches DO these guys sell?i have been on delta list for nearly a year...i want their product,badly...but it's not available to cats with cash.. it's bad business. i wish i could go delta,will have to go herbie,another highly demanded patented product.somehow they manufacture them at a rate to where you can buy one if you have the cash.that's good business."
    I can't understand how you've waited a year for a delta, if you had been on all the lists I'm sure you would have got one. Frantz and Arrow Springs kept calling me back with a phantom and Mirage for 2 weeks after it came in. The wait is not that bad. I should speak cause I couldn't wait but it was only 2-3 weeks from when I on the lists.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroChixRock
    Carlisle, a lot of people have shown concern about the name of your torch. It’s getting negative publicity because of the name, not the design. Because we know you’d want to know this, we’re taking a poll to send you in the mail if you do not see this post. We hope you’d take into consideration what people have to say, and you never know, it may help your sales.

Votes will be public for this, so they can see it’s really people voting. If you have anything to add to send them with the letter please do, I’ll print it all when I mail it.
    Misha
    I hope you will stand by your word and send this poll to Charlisle. This is by far the worst example of product bashing I have seen.

As usual a few GTT people have done more damage to the GTT reputation.
    How many time to I have to hear the same dogma. Why don't you just put up a page for winning GTT owners.

Bear

Bear, the GTT reputation is about torches.. and the quality of the torches.
    If anyone doesn't want a GTT because of how their fans act on a forum, then .... hahah ahha!
    This is not 'product bashing' ... just 'naming bashing' as far as I can tell.
    We're all still hoping to hear more about this torch. I'm interested in the cooling system. I'd like to try one.
    I believe it was mentioned earlier that this torch lacks a good pinpoint flame, which is a severe shortcoming if that is true. If theres no good pinpoint flame, then why release it? Thats one of the key points of the Lynx.

As far as GTT vs. Herbert Arnold, "Coffee Break": you are comparing a midsize German corporation with two American brothers who build each torch by hand? If you want a mass produced torch, go ahead and get one.
    Willy and Wally do their business like artists. It's not the best business model, no, its clearly a matter of personal pride for them. I certainly know how they feel - my glass has been severely backordered before, and I've had to turn down orders and make people wait. As you know, handmade items that last take time to make.
    Last edited by Julian; 07-10-2005 at 07:26 AM. Reason: the pens... the vulture... cabbages... why now? radiator... water.. water... water...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
    I'm going to regret this, but part of what is going on here is reaction to GTT's attack dog mentality. Say something bad about a GTT torch and not only do you get the dyed in the wool GTT users hammering on you, but you also get girlfiends and knowitalls hammering on you. Several months ago the girlfriend took offense at an innocent comment that was made by the Carlisle Guy on the WaterCloset. She hammered him with one of the most vicious attacks I've ever seen.

Is it any wonder to anyone why they named it the WildCat? I think it is to honor the girlfriend.
    And Carlisle got it blown away by system admins!....

Dale

suffice it to say,irie guy,that these torches are sold on an extremely arbitrary basis.that is how i wait over a year.everytime i call,i am given a date 6 to 12 weeks from date of call.repeat this step 4 to 6 times...it adds up.i am a "nobody" in the world of lampworking,and don't have friendly "connections" to them.i AM(was?) on the list at arrow springs and frantz and i think maybe even DA(coe 33).i am a parent,and i blow glass for a living,so i can only call and "refresh" my presence on these lists so often. i must also admit i'm not so ballin' that i could endlessly keep 2500 bucks in reserve.there were times when they could have called me and i wouldn't have had the cash.however,this has never come up...
    i realize that to those of you who have had a relatively easy time acquiring your gtt's,this sounds like bitchy haterism...IT IS! i want one....can't have one,might as well be fictional.nothing personal to w+w...obviously it is not about money to them,but i'm trying to handle my biz over here.my money should be the only leverage i need to cop one.no offense to the gtt defenders...

Weird, I'm a nobody lampworker too...

Funny shit..I leave for a day or two and have some drama to catch up on.

As the poll indicates, leave it named the same.

As I talked to Willy at agi last year, he is a real down to earth person who I only beleive wants to be left alone and his product not infringed upon, reasonable request.

The problem if I'm not mistaken is DESIGN, not names.

If carlisle makes a copy of the gtt design and calls it a wildcat, thats blatent...however just to call a torch the wildcat (weather named after a wwII fighter aircraft or a big game cat) has no bearing on gtt as a whole...its only a name, I don't think gtt has trademarked animals to represent their torches yet..only the design, which if mine, would defend vigorusly.

No one is going to confuse a carlisle wildcat to a future unnamed gtt torch.

Has carlisle represented this as a gtt? No.

Its all about design, not names..now I'm going to go fire up my ju 144 wolfpack..and make some serious sculpture.

why does everyone care so much? i wouldnt have even heard of it, if it wasnt for this thread (as said by JANKY) so props to carlisle for creating such a stir, willingly or not. i could give a shit less what its called, just what it does. i'm on a gtt list too, but i'm not fucking in love with willy & wally enough to defend their animal named torches. the carlisle sounds more like a fighter plane than a cheetah or bobcat anyway. meh. oh yeah, and jesse james is a dork.

i guess steven elchow pretty much said the same thing as me, sorry. i shoulda read it all. who knows what kind of torch nomad uses. fuck all the cool name torches. i want what he has. the nomad by gtt. i'm first on the list.

I'm tired of everyone assuming ALL GTT owners are assholes. What's 'very unprofessional' is lumping all the GTT owners into one category of 'jerks' simply because of the product they choose to defend. I know there are extremists, but there always are, and for nearly every product. Look at CC just 3 years ago, before GTT really came up. Everyone would get PISSED if you even mentioned getting another torch. This is NOT one-sided bashing at all, it takes two to Tango my GTT bashing friends.

And Bear, chill out! - you're gonna have a stroke or something...it's not the end of the world. You can have your CC+ and I promise not to look down on you for it...sheesh. I got loads and loads of respect for you and your skills (just from watching you at agi last year), and I'll buy you a drink at this AGI if you can stand sitting at the same table as me before getting to know me. I don't judge people by the torch they use, I promise! You'll see we're not all one-track/torch minded individuals. Ask Ron Jr. - He and I go back and forth on a weekly basis, but I'm not about to tell him that his torch sucks - he rocks it. He can't tell me my torch sucks either, because I rock it! There is a torch for everyone, and it may or may NOT be a GTT. Surprise!

And the Jesse James thing was a just reference for perspective. I could have used any celebrity chopper builder's name...
    Last edited by WORLD FAMOUS; 07-10-2005 at 11:12 AM. Reason: grammar

nate!! what up, you still comin out? i was just bashin jesse james a little cuz everyone is so on his jock. i live 10 min. from his shop and have been around his stuff WAY before it was cool and popular, so it just drives me crazy what a sellout dork he is. i wish he still built bikes, hes amazing at that. he sucks in autozone commercials. PS. i cant wait to get my gtt!!! i got to use art's to pull ONE point, and i was convinced. AWESOME TORCH. hopefully i get the D.MAG. its gonna be fun. if anything, the cat reference is only saluting what a fine torch the GTT is.

I am too a nobody lampworker . I dont even have a GP or GA page yet . I did get a small run around , then I asked for JED , I had spoke to him before . I told him about the other girl working there , giving half ass answers and "I think there may be one the customer didnt pick up yet " , He said "What , they have no clue what they are saying , I have two on the shelf one I think is spoken for , just waitng to hear back , as we left a message it was in "

Call me a GTT attack dog if you all want , I have a father who started out just like W&W , so I have seen what a quality controlled bussiness has to offer . He now sponsors a whole series of drag racing , after starting in his garage with ONE buddy (Larry the Leprachaun) , and building it into a worldwide quality controlled bussiness . It does take time , he has had to put in 25- 30 years of HARD ass work 5am - 10pm 5-6 days a week some even 7 days, and every big established company just trying to knock him out daily . He has like W&W innovated the industry , has his own gear system out and axles , has built numerous worldrecord holding cars , and done work for numerous top name racers both drag and track including Shirley Muldowney, Earnhardt Sr .... and after all this he still is a hard ass about quality .

I guess I may take it a little harder , for that reason , having seen what LARGE already established well known bussinesses try to do to the little and HOT newcomers , like my dad or W&W .

I dont hate ANY manufacturer , just think the game should be fair . I dont care for Wale , after the blatent firebird rip-off , but still dont hate .

Just to point out also...'Innovation' is usually spawned from 'imitation'...improving on something is to be expected and very respectable. Blatently ripping it off in a deliberate attempt to cop sales is not (not referring to the wildcat).

Is Carlisle going to be making some bigger torches with this new port design? With other cool fighter jet names - The Top Gun? The Maverick? I don't know my war planes obviously. How about including some pin-up chicks and other war plane style decals or maybe have it come with a bomber jacket...yea! Could be interesting to see what they do, especially if they improve the centerfire over what was reported.

the design is innovative , the name is not. go with "the Warthog" or some new STYLE name . Why not start in on mythology names of Gods or heroes , or as I mentioned WW2 tanks ( they are built like them) .

One person had mentioned the reviews for it are not so good , is it then a possibility by remembering , "that torch I saw , with the CAT name sucks " - " it looks like GTT is the one or main one that has CAT names , it must have been a GTT " - "Yeah I think I will go with _____ instead "

Or buying a torch ,you just saw at a shop or fair or ...(which the guy was on a Cheetah or Pheonix "What was the name , something like a CAT or BIRD " - "oh here , the FireBIRD" - "damn this seems way smaller than the one he had" or "Oh here it is , the WildCAT " - "hey this doesnt even look like the one I saw "

This is an example of what COULD happen , and reasons , I think it should be changed .

If they don't want to change the name ,they don't have to. To change the name just 'cause a few people are "annoyed" is ridiculous.What a bunch of whiners. If the name was somehow illegal to use,that would be another story,but it's not. Get over it.

Exactly... most of the people (if not all) whining about it probably don't have a Carlisle torch too. Why would Carlisle care what a bunch of ppl think who (probably) don't even use their products?!?!
    !

They should call it the "Terradactal", Carlisles are dinosaurs from the prehistoric lampwork age. Will they go extinct at any time soon? I doubt it the way they are built.