The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bethlehem Barracuda and Nortel Major Minor

Default Bethlehem Barracuda and Nortel Major Minor

I have two of my past torches for sale in an attempt to get some money together for the holidays. However, I will entertain trades for color or tools.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151102_211054.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	79228

A Bethlehem Barracuda, It leaks a little oxy out of the face when the inner valve is closed if you don't overtighten it. It's been like that since I got it. I just shut off my tanks when I left my bench, but it could probably use a new inner oxy valve in the future.
    $475 Shipped

Name:	20151102_193447.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	945.7 KB 
ID:	79222

Name:	20151102_193500.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	864.2 KB 
ID:	79223

Name:	20151102_193530.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	660.1 KB 
ID:	79224

And a Nortel Major, with the premix minor on top. Works well. I'll include the few feet of larger hose that is shown in the picture, but not the hose barb fitting shown, sorry stole that off my manifold to hook it up forgot to take it off for the picture.
    $250 Shipped

Name:	20151102_195436.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	862.4 KB 
ID:	79225

Name:	20151102_195454.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	874.0 KB 
ID:	79226

Name:	20151102_195555.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	695.3 KB 
ID:	79227

Thanks for taking a look
    Last edited by itssteve; 11-04-2015 at 12:11 AM.
    Blow Glass, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Default Re: Bethlehem Barracuda and Nortel Major Minor

Those are great prices for the torches. The major minor looks great.That barracuda is a steal even after someone buys a new valve. You are definately hooking people up.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Can I make what might be an unpopular request? Let's call the Nortel Major by its correct name - the Nortel MAJOR. It isn't a "Major Minor", it a fucking Major. Major Minor was a cartoon character, not a torch. I see this error by people here constantly and it's pretty damned annoying. Learn the right name, it's not that hard.

Thank you. End of rant...

A Nortel Major torch does not have a top mount minor torch. This is a Nortel Major Minor (premix). The torch is also a great price.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Thank you for that piece of "wisdom". Maybe you'd better also let Nortel know that they're calling their torch by the wrong name. And that they're not supposed to be giving away a Minor mounted on top of every Major they sell. Here's the link to their page about the Major again, since you obviously missed it the first time around - http://www.nortelglass.com/torches-major.shtml

FYI, I owned one of these roughly 20 years ago. Like today, it had a Minor on top. They were named the Major then and they're still called the Major now, NOT the Major-Minor. Of course if you had simply checked the link in my other post you might not look so foolish right now. Being wrong is fine. Being wrong and insisting you're right when the facts are easy to check, well...

Thanks unfunraygun, appreciate it.

And sorry brads wasn't aware of that, MGA lists it as a Major/Minor. In case anyone is confused it is a Nortel Major as brads stated, the top mounted minor burner is a premix.

No prob, itsteve. I can see why you were confused about the name. I just took a look at MGA's site and they're not doing anyone a favor with their description. EVERY Nortel Major comes standard with a Minor mounted on top. Calling it a Major/Minor is redundant - and wrong.

Sending pm on cuda

Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    No prob, itsteve. I can see why you were confused about the name. I just took a look at MGA's site and they're not doing anyone a favor with their description. EVERY Nortel Major comes standard with a Minor mounted on top. Calling it a Major/Minor is redundant - and wrong.
    Actually that one has a premix top, so it's not a Minor at all. They do make one with a surface mix Minor on top, which is usually referred to as the Major/Minor. I've also seen it referred to as a Major Plus. They sell just the Major part by itself.

I think they need to rethink their naming anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Actually that one has a premix top, so it's not a Minor at all. They do make one with a surface mix Minor on top, which is usually referred to as the Major/Minor. I've also seen it referred to as a Major Plus. They sell just the Major part by itself.

I think they need to rethink their naming anyways...
    I've never seen Nortel sell the bottom of a Major by itself. Perhaps they do by special order? If so, then it's the bottom part of a Major they're selling, NOT a Major. The fact remains, a Nortel "Major" is a two part torch - the business end (no base) of a Minor on top of a larger burner below. All you need to do to confirm this is to look at their website. Just because a lot of people who don't know any better refer to the torch as a Major/Minor or anything else that is equally incorrect, doesn't make it right.

I'll wholeheartedly agree that Nortel needs to rethink their naming. This debate - and the number of people who don't know the right Nortel torch names - are ample proof of that. I also agree that this particular torch is not a standard Major, due to the premix top burner. It's apparently a newer variant with the same premix burner on top that is an option on a Nortel Red Max. Maybe Nortel should come up with a new tag line - "Nortel, confusing torch buyers for over 25 years". (Yes, I know they've been around since 1965. But before artistic lampworking and pipemaking exploded they had a much smaller variety of torches and names that made a bit more sense.)

Here's a link to the Major with the the premix option at the Sundance website. (This is not an endorsement of Sundance, aside from the fact that they know the correct name of the torch. They just happened to come up first when I googled a Major with a premix top burner.)

Last edited by brads; 11-04-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added the Sundance link and text.

They may not do it any more. Several years ago when I had a shop selling glass/torches/etc. I was a Nortel dealer and you could get just the Major or Midrange by itself without a torch on top. It may be different now. I don't know of anyone who actually had one of those.

Speaking of needing to rename... do they still make the Red Rocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Speaking of needing to rename... do they still make the Red Rocket?
    LOL. Yes, sort of. It's listed as "The Rocket (aka Red Rocket)" on the Torches page of their website, but just the "Rocket" on its individual page. They might want to come up with a different color for it. If ever there was a torch that needed renaming... [Cue South Park theme music.]

Sorry about your sales thread Steve. Good prices on the torches though. I wouldove to buy either at the prices you offered.

Both torches have been sold and we all learned something :P
    Thanks everyone

So Brads pm'd and acused me of being overly enthuastic about the great prices of Steves torches insinuating Steve and I had some underhanded shit going on. I don't know Steve at all, but those torches were great deals and I would have loved to pick up that Barracuda at that price. What I do know know is that Brads has a little too much time on his hands and needs to put more torch time in on his major minor.

Lol the great knower of all things .

Quote Originally Posted by unfunraygun View Post
    has a little too much time on his hands and needs to put more torch time in on his major minor.
    I'm glad that someone with as much experience and knowledge comes here and hangs with us....

not to mention, he's probably been doing glass related work since i was just a twinkle in my old mans eye.

show some respect

Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    Thank you for that piece of "wisdom". Maybe you'd better also let Nortel know that they're calling their torch by the wrong name. And that they're not supposed to be giving away a Minor mounted on top of every Major they sell. Here's the link to their page about the Major again, since you obviously missed it the first time around - http://www.nortelglass.com/torches-major.shtml

FYI, I owned one of these roughly 20 years ago. Like today, it had a Minor on top. They were named the Major then and they're still called the Major now, NOT the Major-Minor. Of course if you had simply checked the link in my other post you might not look so foolish right now. Being wrong is fine. Being wrong and insisting you're right when the facts are easy to check, well...
    lighten up, and grow up a tad Brads. everyone i've ever met who's used one calls it a major....unless it has a minor or premix rider. then in fact they (the users, not the mfg) do refer to it as a major/minor.
    split some fucking hairs for crying out loud.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    lighten up, and grow up a tad Brads. everyone i've ever met who's used one calls it a major....unless it has a minor or premix rider. then in fact they (the users, not the mfg) do refer to it as a major/minor.
    split some fucking hairs for crying out loud.
    That pretty much illustrates my point. Just because a bunch of people who don't know any better call something by the wrong name doesn't automatically make it correct. Using the correct terms for things helps keep bad information from becoming "common knowledge" among noobs and others who believe all the crap they read on the internet. Accuracy DOES matter if one cares about the quality of information being passed around.