The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bethlehem Barracuda and Nortel Major Minor

Default Re: Bethlehem Barracuda and Nortel Major Minor

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to brads again." - doh.

If its any consolation, at least they're not referring generically to all one stage torches as "minors" and all two stage torches as "majors".... as the kid teaching my first glass class did. Fuckin drove me nuts once I realized the words "major" and "minor" were brand names, not torch types. If you're being paid to teach, you ought to have some clue wtf you're talking about.

I wholly concur with brads about the importance of specificity and clarity when disseminating information. Otherwise - how the fuck are you supposed to know what people are talking about? Yes, language changes over time, and erroneous expressions meant ironically used repeatedly over time end up with an opposite meaning (e.g. "i could care less", and about a million other common expressions), but such occurrences piss me off and should die. (You could care less? Okay, then you care some non zero amount, and your statement has virtually no meaning in terms of the amount of which you care, so you've wasted both my time and yours uttering illogical nonsense that has no bearing on the conversation you fucking asshole, shut the hell up and learn how to speak properly.) (Way too much of human conversation consists of people saying the exact opposite of what they think is true - and it's freaking maddening. Kill the lawyers! Kill the politicians. Well, a boy can dream, right?)

This one might be some slight hair splitting - but caring about conventions, names and labels is to be commended, imo, nonetheless. Has anyone written an email to mountain glass expressing concern over their mislabeling? I honestly only think it might be hair splitting because I've come to know mountain glass as having some authority in the industry - so if they're calling it major/minor, there's some precedent. However, nortel doesn't label it that way, and once you click on the mountain glass link, the description calls it major - implying that they only say major/minor for marketing purposes. Clearly it's people trying to deal with complex configuration options in a way that makes the most sense, but didn't come out perfect. Hey, at least it's not as bad as microsoft's marketing.

So every Major torch has a top mount rider? Nope. Even nortel will clarify on the phone when ordering wether you want a major or major/minor. Waste of time blah blah blah. Get all butt hurt when you buy a major torch and it is not a Major/minor just a plain ol'major torch. Blah blah blah words blah blah blah. When I was a kid a major was a fucking major, not a major fucking minor blah blah blah. We don't say negro or colored anymore either words blah blah. Fags ,you know?, harley riders?.... yeah fags!

Dont they make and sell just the "major" by its self ? Perhaps workers have found it beneficial to add the extra "minor" to the description to clarify.. and be "more" specifice .. about the torch..

Either way coming onto somones sales thred and vomiting a bunch of know it all bs .. is typicaly a lame mive made by someone with a chip on their shoulder. Looking to start an argument

I dont take kindly to being called a "Shill" and having a finger pointed at me implying I am being shady talking up some torches to help Steve make a sale. I dont know Steve, but those torches are badass prices, and he even took videos. Kick ass salesmanship in my opinion. I bought two major torches years ago for the lathe and yes they were just majors. Dorks trying to be pretentious with language and their idea of wisdom shouldnt try to shit on a good sale.

most kids call their cars "whips" these days. i don't see people bitching about that......it's a little thing, no need to get your panties (or thong) in a bunch.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

and yes they do in fact make the Major by itself, with no "MINOR" rider on top.
    makes sense, who cares what nortel calls it, i care about what it's mostly known by.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

As much as I appreciate everyone coming in and filling my sales thread with their 2 cents and inflammatory comments towards one another I think it's time to close this thread.

And if what unfunraygun said in reference to being called a shill is true, I find that very disrespectful as well to my own character. Just to be clear I have never had an interaction with unfunraygun before in my life, he was just being nice.

Apologies to my buyers who had to wade through this shit to make a purchase.
    Last edited by itssteve; 11-07-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Blow Glass, Eat, Sleep, Repeat