The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Newbie with lots of questions

Default Newbie with lots of questions

Glass, Glass, glass.... 90, 96, 104, soft glass, hard glass, Boric.
    I've got a lot to learn. From what I read, 96 is the way to go.
    I'm a DIY kind of guy, and a bit cheap. I'm a carpenter / locksmith by trade. I can weld, was a diesel mechanic for years, electrician to name a few . Use to make custom furniture and billiard tables. I can fix most things except for a broken heart. LOL I'll try almost anything at least once!

Just bought 2 electric kilns, 240 volt, used. I'm going to update them to digital and set one up for annealing the glass. The other not sure yet. Was thinking to melt the glass or ceramics.

Glass, I see lots of glass around the house, beer, booze, jars, all kinds of bottles. Are these soft glass, can they be used for this art form?
    What do they call the tube one blows in for glass blowing? I can't find any for sale. Are they made of stainless steel or black pipe. Never seen one close up.... Can I make my own?

I'm thinking of making mushrooms, toad stools, and pipes.

Open to suggestions!

Default Re: Newbie with lots of questions

The most common glass used by the people here is COE 33 or borosilicate. Its the good stuff. I play with some 104 for beads and small sculptures but its kind of messy.

Your soft glass around your house is essentially garbage but you could kiln slump wine bottles into tray and play with it. Its actual makeup and compatibility will be a guess and not necessarily a known standard. Its not commonly suited for pipes and smokeware.

The stainless tube is called a blow pipe, you could ghetto some old water pipe for playing with I guess.

The main thing is be safe, protect your eyes and your lungs.

Bottle glass can be used for beads and small glass objects. Usually you break it, then slowly introduce a chunk at a time to the flame. Gather a mass and pull out to a rod. This glass should not be mixed with other glass, even other glass from bottles. I have read beer bottle glass is worse than other bottles, but have not confirmed that. It is usually quite shocky - prone to crack or explode. After working in the flame, get it in a kiln at annealing temp quick, while there is still a slight glow.

The good news its free and if you learn to work with this, you will think any other glass is pretty forgiving.

Any stainless steel pipe will work, I have used 1/4" or less OD pipe or boro tube about 9mm. If you use boro for the tube and melt some of the boro into your piece, it will break.

If you do try 96 or 104 coe, check out lampwork etc, more geared toward soft glass.

I´suggest that you take the time to check this site.
    There are so many informations,tutorials etc.
    Then you ask for more detailed info.
    It takes a couple of days to blow glass.

I would like to thank you all for your reply's. Great info that I didn't think of, or know!
    Haven't started yet, working with any glass. Need to get rid of the boat in the garage.
    Some areas I can't even turn around with that boat in the way.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bar/5340705736.html

I did make a shaping board out of Hard Maple. Looks like a large cutting board.
    I also picked up a 4 foot length of 3/4 inch Stainless Steel pipe.

Been watching out for items that might be used for shaping molten glass.

As I get closer, I'll take a few pictures and post them.

Thank you again.
    Merry Christmas and or Happy Holidays to ALL!

Nice boat...!!

Khan

One blows into a punty. A 12.7 mm heavy wall punty (no less than 2.2 mm wall thickness). If you have an ox/ac welding torch, you can hook up propane & oxy to melt boro. I worked on one for my first year (about a 25 mm tip on it) & it wasn't pleasant, twas loud & built up carbon fast (carbon build up will spit out & stick to whatever your working on). the worst startup mistake I made was getting a clamshell kiln, wound up flipping the kiln upside down & putting kiln brick between lid & kiln to make a punty door.

PS.. I could've utilized the stock clamshell for all sorts of things: dipping color glass in clear, fusing plates or wall art, so much is possible dude.