The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A chance to own a piece of my true passion in glass

Cool A chance to own a piece of my true passion in glass

I was able to make one last lamp before my surgery with some help from my wife and close friend Nathan Miers. I find making lamps to be my calling with glass, and this will be the first lamp officially available to the public.

When I’m healed and back to work, I will continue the endeavor of getting my lamps out there and into the hands of people who appreciate glass art. But for now, I’m hoping that this lamp will help fund the lathe I will make the future lamps on.

These next twenty-five days I think will be the hardest, just not knowing if I will be able to use my right arm normally post surgery is buggin me out. I keep telling myself I'll be fine but there is always that little voice with the questions. Without a doubt I will be able to use my arm somewhat, but the whole "learning how to use my arm differently" SUCKS!!!

I am really afraid of the pain post surgery too! They estimate now 6-10 days minimum hospital time, and months of physical therapy. In order to pay bills I will have to go back to work as soon as I physically am able .If you know me, you know that I am a Work-A-Holic so being on bed-rest is not going to settle to well. Hopefully Misha won’t get too sick of me!

In order to raise funds for the lathe in time, we lowered the price on this beauty substantially. Check it out if you have a minute, and thanks to everyone for all the support you have already given us.

Link to the LAMP!!
    ~FlowerMatt

Default Re: A chance to own a piece of my true passion in glass

matt,DONT over extend yourself after surgery!kick back n take in the scope of things!sometimes as strange as it seems injuries can teach you how to go about things in a way you would have never thought of.you know what they say...what doesn't kill you....well you never realize the aunthicity of that untill you have no choice.hang in there and im sure with your talent well....you know.best wishes!Ii'm pullin 4 you!ooohhhhmmmmm.........

Where did you find that avatar Matt? LOL

That lamp was a fun project...remember the crazy lady at the lamp store?

Hey, I thought we were going to call the colab pieces "Made by Eugene DRain" j/k...clever, but cheesy, I know.

He's gonna have to get rid of that avatar after surgery, cause he won't have a hump anymore!
    ~Misha

Matt, i'll keep thoughts going your way. Don't worry much (some ok, lots of worry not so ok), you'll be fine...I'm now 4 months past the 2nd shoulder surgery since Aug. Now I know that what i had done is nothing to your pending but I can still hopefully give you some tips. First off what my therapist said. The fact that I was cleared to go back to work 4 months earlier than they thought was the fact that I worked up until the day of surgery. Sounds like that what you have to do too. They said that I didn't loose muscle strength and I was able to bounce back faster that way. Dr was a great partner in this. He put me into therapy 2 weeks out of surgery instead of waiting 6 weeks. And I worked like a dog in therapy getting that arm to work again... Hell I'm a hell of a lefty now too! (oh yea... practice that one handed thing now if it's not your dominate side, sure makes the time go faster later...hehee) Second. about the Pain...hey let it flow through ya.. don't worry about it so it doesn't stay in ya. Don't be afraid of using the meds they give you.. they were my best friend for 2 1/2 months. Hey it was really kinda nice being reaaal stoopid for that time... Last but not the least. You have all of us pulling for ya. I haven't met you and Misha, but the respect that the both of you get from what I've read is amazing...

Oh one more thing... BioFreeze BioFreeze BioFreeze It was my best friend. got to the point that it was almost an aphrodisiac to my husband... well I said almost.

Peace, rest easy, and we'll be sending healing thoughts you way.
    My cat Mimi wears lipstick...

Where did you find that avatar Matt
    I found it in the Google image files hehehe! Thanks a lot Nate for all your help these past few months.

matt,DONT over extend yourself after surgery!kick back n take in the scope of things
    I plan on it! I’ve thought of doing an instructional manual or manuals while on bed rest but I am not much of a writer. I wanted to do a kind of "Little Black Book Of Glass" styled book.

Oh one more thing... BioFreeze BioFreeze BioFreeze It was my best friend. got to the point that it was almost an aphrodisiac to my husband... well I said almost.
    I'm lost there?But thank you very much for all your help and kind words.
    ~FlowerMatt

BioFreeze is a pain relieving roll on that you get from the therapist.... between that and the oxy it really helped the pain. Hey now that I'm back to work, just did my first art show of the season, I'll see about getting a box o'recovery stuff for you... little things that I found to help me. Give me a week or so and I'll send it up... ok minus the oxy... the feds would frown on that.
    My cat Mimi wears lipstick...

good luck on the surgery and upcoming recovery. please take it slow, a friend of mine broke his leg over two years ago and he has had it rebroken twice becasue we wont sit still long enough to let it heal, just relax and take more time than usual to enjoy the beautiful things you have.

martin

You should write a book matt....

oh well best of luck . i like that lamp alot. i woulda so jumped on it if it wasnt bigger then my last supply order.

peace
    rob

Hey Matt,

I had a shoulder replaced in Sept before last. While not quite the scope of your surgery I can tell you that with modern methods the pain is minimized and the meds will handle the rest. The one thing I will advise you on is to follow the post surgery rehab TO THE LETTER. I was down to about 40 percent of normal movement pre-surgery and I religeously followed my Dr.'s directions. At 2 months I had about 75% and by 3-4 months I was at 85%. At my 1 year followup I had about 90 percent and the doc attributes it to following orders. It is still improving albiet more slowly. It also helps with the pain.
    So don't sweat the pain, it's mostly just a discomfort. You'll be better than before and turning out lamps in a short time.

And, Oh yeah.................... don't be such a wussss ;-))

PJH