The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question on homefill

Default Question on homefill

So, I have seen and read literally hundreds of posts about homefill systems and I see most references on utilizing the compressor stating you should use a tank and not fill above 1500 psi - so here is my question....

I have an h-1- and want to put an Invacare compressor on it - I then have a 15 gal air tank that I want to utilize. I typically only run my system while I am torching so I am not necessary worried about filling an o2 tank.

so here is my question - 2 parts:

1. Could I not add a regulator between the torch and tank to allow pressure to build inside the tank to increase pressure in the tank thus increasing psi usage to torch? Is there way to regulate pressure inside the tank to not exceed 100 psi?

2. Do I even need to utilize a tank - why not run the hose directly from compressor to torch? I get the issue with pressure fluctuation but is it significant enough to affect performance?

Default Re: Question on homefill

Homefills pump 2 liters per minute so compressor to torch is no good., you may as well torch with the oxycon running your center fire and put your outer fire on the homefilled tanks.

I am not sure how much pressure those 15 gal tanks can withstand. I would be worried about leaving the homefill compressing that small and and then blamo!! I use one homefill on two 250 K tanks. I can fill about 500 psi in 24 hours.

so according to the mfg- the 15 gal tanks are suppose to be built for 100 psi

Quote Originally Posted by James M View Post
    I am not sure how much pressure those 15 gal tanks can withstand. I would be worried about leaving the homefill compressing that small and and then blamo!! I use one homefill on two 250 K tanks. I can fill about 500 psi in 24 hours.

thanks Snoopdog - that's what I was planning - running my center off of 2 -m-15's and then setting the h-1 to the 15 gal tank on the homefill - I usually don't torch more than 4 hours a day so I don't know that over filling will be an issue,especially when I dont leave anything on when I am done. so at 2 litre per min - that's 120 litres per hour or roughly 31 gal.Don't kno how that relates to pressure but I do have a 120 cfm o2 tank in other shop - I can snag if I need to.
    Last edited by Nevadaglass; 01-15-2016 at 02:53 PM.

There is no holding tank in a homefill syestem other than the standard high pressure oxygen tanks.

It doesnt seem like ur grasping that . No air tank made for compreasors is going to be rated fpr 2000 psi

Yes you have to use real oxygen tanks for the homefil, I have 2 K tanks. A homefil will pop those 11 gallon air tanks. Compressed air tanks is a very bad idea.

This is my studio.

Wrong - I get it but I should still be able to ask questions- I was just trying to decide if I attempt to setup a bleed off or just convert back to my old O2 tank

Homefill might be the wrong word since I can use an oil less compressor to the holding tank to build up pressure - AND not 2000 psi - I was merely trying to figure out which setup would be more effective for me.

Quote Originally Posted by D. dino i ninjah View Post
    It doesnt seem like ur grasping that . No air tank made for compreasors is going to be rated fpr 2000 psi

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
    Yes you have to use real oxygen tanks for the homefil, I have 2 K tanks. A homefil will pop those 11 gallon air tanks. Compressed air tanks is a very bad idea.

This is my studio.
    Even though that bud was kinda larfy and stemmy, I was sad to see it go that way. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Windsurf7 View Post
    Wrong - I get it but I should still be able to ask questions- I was just trying to decide if I attempt to setup a bleed off or just convert back to my old O2 tank

Homefill might be the wrong word since I can use an oil less compressor to the holding tank to build up pressure - AND not 2000 psi - I was merely trying to figure out which setup would be more effective for me.
    Ok your not talking about a home fill ur talking about a low pressure syestem.

A homefill is an actuall device that fills to high pressure .

Some one that knows more about those types of syestem might come along and help now that its more clear what ut talking about ..

My understanding is that a 15 gal tank is like a fart's worth of oxy. I'm playing around with a low pressure system now. I have a 60 gal tank at 60psi and it lasts for about one full work spoon without my system putting any oxy in. I'm thinking 15 gal would not be very satisfactory. However I do not know what an H1 is. By Invacare compressor, do you mean an invacare oxygen concentrator? If so, how many psi and liters per minute does it put out. I'm not an expert, but will do what I can.
    In reading the forum I have come across the formulas a few times to figure out your usage per tank size.

So I have decided to hook my h-1 concentrator (20 psi,15 lpm) to the invacare compressor, get the supreme whip from Salt city glass, then run the whip to my old o2 tank and then from tank to torch and get rid of the air tank since it appears the Invacare compressor will create too much pressure even with a bleed off for a low pressure air tank system.
    Also, the price I will pay for a 60 gal or above tank will cost more than the whip and regulator that runs from tank to torch since I gave that away when I went to concentrators.

The only part I am unsure of is how whip hooks up to the 02 tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbo View Post
    My understanding is that a 15 gal tank is like a fart's worth of oxy. I'm playing around with a low pressure system now. I have a 60 gal tank at 60psi and it lasts for about one full work spoon without my system putting any oxy in. I'm thinking 15 gal would not be very satisfactory. However I do not know what an H1 is. By Invacare compressor, do you mean an invacare oxygen concentrator? If so, how many psi and liters per minute does it put out. I'm not an expert, but will do what I can.
    In reading the forum I have come across the formulas a few times to figure out your usage per tank size.

I actually found a good pic of setup so think I am good at this point
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?56547-Homefill-quot-whip-quot-build-DIY&highlight=homefill+whip+setup

Thanks everyone

Great to hear. Keep us posted.

What torch are u trying to run and how much do u want to use it ?

A home fill is designed to work off a much smaller compressor ..

The h1 s are really just suped up responics 10 lpm concentrators. And are known for having purity issues .. the homefills have a purity sensor .. they might not play well togeather .

Ok homfills only need 2 Lpm to work .

Feed your homefill off a stand alone cheep 5 l con .

I see them around not long ago someone here had them unbelievable cheep 125

I got mine at pawn shop for 65 .

Then use the two cons for center fire and run the h-1 to holding tank .

Run a line from your k tank regulator to your holding tank and set reg to come on at say 50-80 psi

So when your outer fire is raging you take sips off k as needed .

You will have to get some check valves so you don't push pressure into your hi
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

And when I said set reg at 50 -80 I don't really know how high the pressure gets in your holding tank so let's amend that and say set it to a setting that it starts adding oxy to holding tank before your flame is diminished from h1 and reserves not keeping up .

^^ that is a good plan.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Or to simplify it a bit match all cons flow link together and dump into holding tank .

Then connect k tank reg to it so you can sip off k tank as needed .

This way will give you the most bang for your buck and you will get 100 out of inner and outer