The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullseye pollution problems

Default Bullseye pollution problems

~Misha

Default Re: Bullseye pollution problems

Not good. This is one of the reasons why Schott moved a lot of their glass manufacturing back to Germany and why Corning shut down it's large-scale plant. For them, it was arsenic, barium, and lead.

Heavy metals are a bitch on the environment and the body. I forsee some regulatory changes coming in Oregon.

Look out fuming here we come...

What does fuming have to do with heavy metals? Why would you feel the need to add that comment to this thread? Do you have something to day or do you just have a need muddy the water everywhere?

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Uh-oh, that sounds like a shit-storm in the making for Bullseye, even if they were technically in compliance with gov't regs. I hope they survive the fallout. (No pun intended.) Flat glass users had better stock up on the red, orange, yellow color range right now. There's no question that Mike is right about regulation changes coming to Oregon soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Aurelius View Post
    Not good. This is one of the reasons why Schott moved a lot of their glass manufacturing back to Germany and why Corning shut down it's large-scale plant. For them, it was arsenic, barium, and lead.

Heavy metals are a bitch on the environment and the body. I forsee some regulatory changes coming in Oregon.
    So, do they have more lax rules in Germany? Or just better/different manufacturing processes, therefore, less impact on the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    What does fuming have to do with heavy metals? Why would you feel the need to add that comment to this thread? Do you have something to day or do you just have a need muddy the water everywhere?
    I appreciate your attempts to insult me. Sometimes i get a little carried away.

I was saying if all the color companies in the US dried up and everyone had to go back to fuming exclusively. I realize that bullseye isn't boro(i think) but was just being extreme. My apologies if i muddied up your water.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
    So, do they have more lax rules in Germany? Or just better/different manufacturing processes, therefore, less impact on the environment?
    Both. At one time, Corning moved everything to Brazil, where there are no rules of any kind. That plant closed about 10 years ago (?) and all manufacturing of optical blanks is now done in France. Fiber optic glass and other specialty glass is still made in NY.

Wow. Just wow.

I can't believe it took 3 years to find the "source" of the cadmium pollution.

Bullseye melting glass for over 40years. Soil tests are going to be wild.

I still wish I had more info about what WE all get exposed to.
    Most of us melting these chemicals on the daily.

Quote Originally Posted by BoRo View Post
    I still wish I had more info about what WE all get exposed to.
    Most of us melting these chemicals on the daily.
    This brings up a question I posted in another thread which no one ever answered. When reading the older GA literature (ca. 2003) I saw they talk about wearing a HEPA mask when working with many of their colors. When I came across the newer GA literature (ca. 2007) they only mentioned HEPA once, when talking about silver. Given that the 2003 literature had numerous references to wearing a HEPA mask with many of their colors, I was curious as to what changed during those four years.

Does anyone know?
    "But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know."

Instagram_______Etsy_____

*Hopes for huge Borosilicate facility to move to New Mexico where we don't care about pollution!
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$$$$$ View Post
    This thread is sweet, keep it going. Keep describing the piece without pics and we'll try to picture it and ask cool questions, such as where's the pics or post pics..
    Quote Originally Posted by DickFarm Glass View Post
    I'm no longer learning to blow glass...Back to the shop with my bad ass self, this Lambo isn't going to buy itself

Quote Originally Posted by LooseSeal Baller View Post
    I appreciate your attempts to insult me. Sometimes i get a little carried away.

I was saying if all the color companies in the US dried up and everyone had to go back to fuming exclusively. I realize that bullseye isn't boro(i think) but was just being extreme. My apologies if i muddied up your water.
    muddy water lolz
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

This a big deal in a way but just about any form of manufacturing puts out fumes,unseen particulate or chemical material waste. They just happen to find this.

If testing was wide spread they would find every auto shop, paint shop, machine shop, foundry is loaded with foul elements that would virtual shut down a large number of industries.

My point is if you dig deep enough you can find toxins just about everywhere. Will live in a big toxic waste dump.

^ I wholeheartedly agree snoop. Are you the snoop from ashville that worked with fat mike and friends?
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
    This a big deal in a way but just about any form of manufacturing puts out fumes,unseen particulate or chemical material waste. They just happen to find this.

If testing was wide spread they would find every auto shop, paint shop, machine shop, foundry is loaded with foul elements that would virtual shut down a large number of industries.

My point is if you dig deep enough you can find toxins just about everywhere. Will live in a big toxic waste dump.
    pretty much. doesn't look like there's much they can do about it other than some articles like this, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
    This brings up a question I posted in another thread which no one ever answered. When reading the older GA literature (ca. 2003) I saw they talk about wearing a HEPA mask when working with many of their colors. When I came across the newer GA literature (ca. 2007) they only mentioned HEPA once, when talking about silver. Given that the 2003 literature had numerous references to wearing a HEPA mask with many of their colors, I was curious as to what changed during those four years.

Does anyone know?
    my best guess would be that color was still a pretty new territory in 2003. just a guess though.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post

There are different degrees of toxicity. It's unlikely you'll find many auto or machine shops pumping much arsenic and cadmium into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    There are different degrees of toxicity. It's unlikely you'll find many auto or machine shops pumping much arsenic and cadmium into the air.
    Nope, but they do occasionally get fined for just dumping used fluids where they shouldn't be.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

My understanding is that you are sold glass that (legally) is physically not able to off gas because it is not molten. It is your discretion to heat it up and release the constituent colorants into the air. The warnings are only necessary on frits and powders because the state they are sold in can produce particulates in the air so respiratory warnings are necessary.

I could understand that...

I went back and re-read and all the instances state:

"[This color] is heavily saturated with silver and can have silver wire running through it. Treat this color as you would treat fuming. In addition to ventilation you should use a shield or HEPA respirator."

Does anyone wear a respirator while fuming? I mentioned this to a couple of older flameworkers and one of them just laughed and said if you have adequate ventilation there's no need for HEPA.
    "But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know."

Instagram_______Etsy_____