The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullseye pollution problems

Default Re: Bullseye pollution problems

There are lots of former Bullseye employees in the glass scene that have shit to say about Bullseye. What I notice is that it is really the same ratio as most people who have worked physically demanding production jobs with pay slightly above minimum wage. They get burned out hate work and quit then talk shit. Bullseye has always made it super clear up front that some positions are very difficult and taxing physically. I really doubt that their.environmental controls were out of legal standards or that they were not consciously trying to do the best they could. Could they have done things better? It sure looks that way and unfortunately it looks like they will be wading through some shit to get there.

Well imo if you are a multi million dollar company and you "can" make some improvements or you "can" do better in order to make your employees even more safe.. It is your duty as a good buisness person to do so. Regardless if your paper work says you are in compliance or not. And frankly it is so sad that its stereotypical american to do the fucking bare minimum until told to do otherwise.. This shit makes me sick to my stomach.
    ~FlowerMatt

I agree completely, and that is why I never worked at mentioned company, and why I will never work (for) anyone. I will only work (with) people and companies that share my ideals and at times I have to work with other peoples standards while upholding my own. I have a very hard time being in shops that have animals present, and especially children present. My oldest is 13 and I wont let her on the torch, and my personal shop space does not allow kids but that is just me others have there own standards. I was working offhand with a well known dude a couple years ago and he would grab very fine frit and powders and toss it around like he was baking bread. Not my cup of tea and I masked up all times with him afterwords. Different standards for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanLathe View Post
    Well imo if you are a multi million dollar company and you "can" make some improvements or you "can" do better in order to make your employees even more safe.. It is your duty as a good buisness person to do so. Regardless if your paper work says you are in compliance or not.
    The funny part, if you are a publicly traded company, you could get sued by your shareholders for doing what you suggest.

Not funny at all its the messed up way businesses are run these days.
    ~FlowerMatt

Do you think the big three in our color industry wil be on the cad chopping block next .

I was informed by someone a bit ago they where already stockpiling the cads they like to use .

For some lots of folks 20 pounds of a color will last them a long time .

Others throw twenty pounds in a crucible over and over .

That would suck to lose all cads .

A whole new area of supply and demand bubble .
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Haven't you all learned yet that damn near everything around you is trying to kill you. Its all about what you let win the race. So use the poisonous color cautiously and use good ventilation and respirators when necessary. And maybe if your lucking you'll die of something else Late in life.

Supposed to say lucky

Quote Originally Posted by jr23 View Post

I was informed by someone a bit ago they where already stockpiling the cads they like to use .
    stockpiled here. not that i necessarily think anything is going to happen, but to be on the safe side. lots of color around the hotspots in question.

I figured so yinz . I had a couple og friends that live out there tell me about the case and how it could really spread to all glass factory in USA .

Like the folks earlier mentioned .

I was just thinking about how company's moved to Brazil's as said earlier .

And thought up a fake headline for a fake industry paper .

Extra extra read all about it , cad crunch down spreads to borosilicate color and the big three have set aside any friendly rivalry . Negotiations are set for tues of next week . Topics of duscusion and speculation of merge .

One of the subsidiary's has bought the devardi facility in India for producing all cad colors .

Somthing like this .
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Another article to check out.

Bullseye Glass Company Voluntarily Suspends Hexavalent Chromium Use Pending Further Data Provided by Oregon DEQ
    Company Officials Express Confusion Over Actions by DEQ

PORTLAND, OR--(Marketwired - Feb 12, 2016) - In response to a personal request from Oregon DEQ Director Dick Pedersen, Bullseye Glass Company suspends the use of hexavalent chromium, an industry standard material lawful to use under the company's existing air quality discharge permit and DEQ's own regulations.

Company officials expressed confusion over the latest in a series of events undertaken by DEQ this week. According to company co-founder Dan Schwoerer, Director Pederson called a Bullseye employee at around 1:30pm on February 11th with a personal request that the company stop using chromium, an essential element in artisanal glass-making. Pederson made this request despite DEQ's inability to provide any direct evidence that Bullseye was a significant source of chromium. In fact, DEQ's own monitoring data from October 2015 showed peak levels of chromium on days when Bullseye's factory was idle.

The company has asked DEQ for information on the human health, scientific or legal basis of its request, which came less than 24 hours prior to the release of an Oregonian editorial critical of DEQ. As recently as February 10th, DEQ assured both Bullseye and the public that the company operates in compliance with its air quality discharge permit and DEQ's own regulations. Bullseye has regularly reported its use of chromium, as well as other industry standard materials, to state regulators for more than 20 years.

Company co-founder Dan Schwoerer said, "Bullseye Glass has been a conscientious member of SE Portland and of the broader artisan glass community for more than 40 years. We not only work here, more than half of our employees also live and have raised their families here. We and OSHA regularly monitor conditions within our facilities to protect our employees. We have a great track record for safety. We are committed to doing the right thing. We are concerned that DEQ's frantic actions could put us out of business and cause 140 people to lose their jobs."

DEQ now says it has been acutely aware of this issue for many years, but has not informed the public of any potential health risks, or alerted producers like Bullseye of any need to modify their operations until today. The company is committed to continuing to working with DEQ to resolve this situation.

Chris Edmonds
    503-961-4115
    ~Misha

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    Uh-oh, that sounds like a shit-storm in the making for Bullseye, even if they were technically in compliance with gov't regs.[...snip]
    Shit-storm indeed...

There's no stopping the hippie hype train now.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blogt...action-of-that
    ~Misha

I took a private tour of the facility when we first started distributing for them, and there were a few things I thought were a bit crazy. But, it was overwhelming the sheer volume they were pumping out and the equipment was one of a kind stuff mostly. That was almost 10 years ago too. So, they have blown up in volume since then. They will have to install 500K - 1 Million in equipment and scrubbers to fix it. But, sounds like the local community is pissed big time. Read another article about a town hall meeting at the high school last night, where people were claiming illness and even death! Yikes. Apparently there are pickets there yesterday and this morning also. Oregon hippies man, mess with the environment up there, and you are straight screwed.

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery

Indeed. and yes, brads linked to one of the articles about the protest above. what a nightmare. I agree if there are things you can do to not pollute, you should do them, but putting 140 people out of work shouldn't be on the path to getting it done. Bullseye said before any of the protests that they would improve things even though they were well below DEQ standards.

The protest group on fb has also pulled Abe and north star into the equation, attacked him pretty hard over uranium. His reply,

Quote Originally Posted by Abe
    Hello fellow neighbors this is Abe Fleishman co-owner and president of Northstar glassworks. We manufacture borosilicate color glass rods tubes and Frits. I want to let everyone know that we are very aware of what is going on in Portland and are concerned just like all of you. We are doing testing over the next week to get more insight to what could be emitted from our factory. We feel we will be way under the benchmark but will go over and beyond to make it better. We are not like the other glass factories in question. We are very small and produce glass on a very small scale as well 30-50lb batches. We are fully commented to making our factory a industry standard, hopefully zero emissions if that can be achieved. We will have air tests back in the next few weeks to see what our limits are. We are willing to share this info with the public and also give insight to what we are doing to make our air 100% clean!! We are already working with our ventilation company to design and install dust collecting systems that filter hopefully 99.9 percent of any air going out of our factory. Please feel free to contact me with questions and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Maybe we could have someone from the group call with questions that can be answered for the group so I don't get slammed with too many calls. The safety is our biggest concern and would love a open dialog with the public. Thanks for taking the time for reading this and hope we can all work together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe
    We also don't have u308 on sight. We have our uranium glass produced by gaffer glass in New Zealand that hold a permit to purchase and manufacture uranium glass. We receive the glass in a form called a billet. The uranium is already locked into the matrix of the glass. So we take the glass billets and remelt and pull into small rods for artists to use. Our web site has the reading from ohsu radiation department.
    This will no doubt trickle down to all the others, possibly even the small shops like you and I. My girlfriend told me this morning that her new vent is filtered. Her fiance did a bunch of research and built it himself. They have a ton on their plate right now, but hopefully when they have some time they will put together some info for us on how to go about doing this.
    ~Misha

We used to run a lot of lead glass for X-Ray absorption. When our volume started going up, we voluntarily submitted our waste for testing. Interestingly enough, it wasn't air-borne lead, it was the glass sludge from the glass grinders. And even though the lead is locked in the glass matrix, in a landfill, it's subjected to the acids in the ground water and leaches out. For close to 8 years we submitted to bi-yearly analysis and special (not hazardous) waste disposal. Eventually, our volume went down, and all was well with the world.

But the important thing to keep in mind here is that even though whatever is in the glass is locked in a glass matrix, once it hits the landfill, all bets are off.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

And now the hype has reached the point where even glassblowers are piling on - facts or not.

Time to invest in pitchfork and torch manufacturers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitchforks.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	82185
    Last edited by brads; 02-17-2016 at 01:20 PM.

parramore....now there's a surprise.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    And now the hype has reached the point where even glassblowers are piling on - facts or not.

Time to invest in pitchfork and torch manufacturers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitchforks.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	82185
    If you look at who is doing all the finger pointing (Jane Greer), *snip* I wouldn't put any stock into what she's got to say.
    Last edited by PyroChixRock; 02-17-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: no personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    parramore....now there's a surprise.
    Don't be hating on Roger.