Pink u.v. ?

Anyone try some yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20160324_0001.png 
Views:	236 
Size:	489.5 KB 
ID:	83234

Default Re: n.s. "lucy" color?

I managed to get some pushed on me early, and I am trying to sell it. I coiled a spoon up, and it works fine. It is clear unless its under a uv flashlight. I have recently realized that there are two types of UV.... you have the stuff like illuminati and the old corning uranium, and then you have ones that do the same thing under a blacklight as lemon drop or strike red chinese color (un-struck of course). It basically refracts UV light, it is not UV reactive. I feel like this is false advertisement. The ones that only refract UV are pretty wack IMO
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Skuzz View Post
    ... It basically refracts UV light, it is not UV reactive...
    I'm not sure if your terminology is wrong or you're not understanding how these work, or if it's just been far too many years since I was studying the physics of light and optics, but "refraction" can't result in the changing of color transmission. It can, in the case of prisms and multi-spectral light, split the spectrum into it's components, but you can't just shift the frequency of light through refraction alone.

Lucy, Flamingo, Lemon Drop, Photon, Illuminati, etc - all the colors that look one way under broad spectrum (white) light, and a different color under narrow spectrum UV light are "UV Reactive".

The technical term for what they do is called fluorescence, it's a chemical reaction between the various fluorescent chemicals in the glass and the wavelength of light they respond to. Basically, light goes in at λn and is altered by the atomic properties of something like manganese or uranium, and emitted as λn*x where x is whatever the state change is produced by the chemical, usually shifting the light to a lower energy state with a longer period. (lower frequency)

In audio you can sort of compare it to resonance and harmonics. The light hits an atom of uranium, it bounces it around and starts to vibrate it to the point that vibration is emitted as a new wavelength of visible light.

As for Lucy, what I've seen of it personally it looks virtually indistinguishable from Electric Flamingo from GA. Putting 2 rods side by side and asking which is which you'll get a 50/50 split on answers, but my stash of flamingo is brighter and clearer than the lucy I've played with.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

I have not done and research, this is just the description I came up with. Basically I am saying that new strike red rods and lemon drop have more uv effect than this color. As well this is the same experience I had with the space glass atomic colors. I got a regular blacklight and a uv flashlight and compared a lot of colors because I was disappointed with the effect of several of them. The only ones that I think have enough pop are the uranium based glasses. The others are weak sauce IMO. Each to their own, but I think it would make them harder to sell to a shop considering they have a mild uv effect. Even the pink flamingo is uber weak in my opinion. I know everyone is over illuminati, but I think that is the only one of these colors worth the hype

Formerly known as Skuzz

The illuminati glows, but the others seem to just change color a bit in the flashlight. Some of them have zero effect in a standard old school blackmlight

Formerly known as Skuzz

Ya it seems like your expected to smoke outta this glass only at raves! Lol

I have not done and research, this is just the description I came up with. Basically I am saying that new strike red rods and lemon drop have more uv effect than this color. As well this is the same experience I had with the space glass atomic colors. I got a regular blacklight and a uv flashlight and compared a lot of colors because I was disappointed with the effect of several of them. The only ones that I think have enough pop are the uranium based glasses. The others are weak sauce IMO. Each to their own, but I think it would make them harder to sell to a shop considering they have a mild uv effect. Even the pink flamingo is uber weak in my opinion. I know everyone is over illuminati, but I think that is the only one of these colors worth the hype

but electric flamingo glows pinkish quite strongly for sure, and its not a uranium one. its intense.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Wonder if there are more saturated batches than others. The stuff we got glows pretty nice. It's a different element clearly in the glass than uranium. So, nothing is going to pop quite like the Uranium stuff does. UV Reactive and Uranium glass, while similar, should probably not be compared for brightness of flourescing

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery

For example, all the trans oranges out there right now, they do react to UV light. But, it's really just a slight color shift, due as much to how purple light looks reflecting off of orange glass as any small amount of fluorescing that is present. The Lucy though, did seem to actually fluoresce to me.

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery

Skuzz does have a point though. I haven't used Lucy yet but Illuminati pops so much better than electric flamingo. I've got an orange crush pendent too that is uv reactive but when I point a black light at it it literally looks like I'm just shining a light on it. Super hard to see the UV reaction. Don't get me wrong, I like the option and will probably grab some lucy myself but I'm also looking for that next best thing and I don't think Lucy is it.

In my limited experience I found that Lucy glows better under blacklight bulb than Flamingo but that flamingo wins in the Flashlight UV test.
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$$$$$ View Post
    This thread is sweet, keep it going. Keep describing the piece without pics and we'll try to picture it and ask cool questions, such as where's the pics or post pics..
    Quote Originally Posted by DickFarm Glass View Post
    I'm no longer learning to blow glass...Back to the shop with my bad ass self, this Lambo isn't going to buy itself

It seems to be nice working glass to me. Not boily or anything. The flamingo I have has less air than the lucy, not that lucy has much. Hard to tell a difference between the two. The lucy I just recieved had one rod of white moretti in it too... anybody else get that?

Quote Originally Posted by daveabr View Post
    ...UV Reactive and Uranium glass, while similar, should probably not be compared for brightness of flourescing
    That makes no sense tho. It's like saying "Vehicles and Ford mustangs, while similar..." Uranium doped glass colors are only a single variety of UV reactive colors. I think I get what you're saying in the comparison of Illuminati to the various other colors, but they're the same thing in this context. As for brightness, Uranium is by far the brightest currently being used, but there are other chemicals that are just as bright is someone's willing to pay $500 a pound for them.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

word. Good thread, I guess its all about how much you value that reaction. I want to try some glow in the dark stuff next time I can buy some fun glass.

Formerly known as Skuzz

I have had issues with glow in the dark stuff. I always seem to burn out the glow material. The bars are shocky but I have had a little luck with them. I have had zero luck with the powder. Also shocky and way easy to burn up.

Although glow glass does look diff in uv light they are talking about Lucy not boro bars glow or the old glow powder .

Lots of folks burn it out don't feel bad .

Same with dichroic some just make it look like ciggy ashes .

Your working the glass to hot
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

word. Good thread, I guess its all about how much you value that reaction. I want to try some glow in the dark stuff next time I can buy some fun glass.
    Well.... Guess whats getting sent with my Hammer!?!?! A Few shorts of Lucy for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$$$$$ View Post
    This thread is sweet, keep it going. Keep describing the piece without pics and we'll try to picture it and ask cool questions, such as where's the pics or post pics..
    Quote Originally Posted by DickFarm Glass View Post
    I'm no longer learning to blow glass...Back to the shop with my bad ass self, this Lambo isn't going to buy itself

I haven't used the Lucy yet, I am not cool enough to ride the hype train. But as for glow, try Jason's! http://www.3dlimited.com/boroglow-glass-powder-frit/
    ~Misha

I snagged some and feel it works well. I just coiled some up and it is quite bright under uv. To make it go further I cup stuffed a glob into a 5" blank of 44mm heavy, It still glows as bright when used in that application. one thing I noticed that is different about this over illuminati is this works very similar to clear. I could hardly ever get my hand torch on illuminati over fine welds in fear of boiling the glass. I find the Lucy to feel slightly stiffer than clear, and never have any issues with boiling with clean rods.

Fabegg carbcap for reference, this is straight Lucy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	83264

thats under a uv flashlight, whic is my exact argument on it not popping enough for the hype (not lucy in particular, but non-uranium UV in general). I always think about making shit that I can sell, and I don't know any shop owners with more than a standard black light in their shop. In a standard black light, it just shows a little bit of pink tint. I think if someone brought that home and discovered they had to shine a UV flashlight on it to make it vibrant, they would be hella pissed that they payed extra. Just my opinion.

Formerly known as Skuzz