The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: n.s. "lucy" color?

Default Re: n.s. "lucy" color?

I picked up some glow powder in a trade and I been raping Facebook people that love it. 30$ for a frit spoon and they begging me for em. Sold 4 in last two days. People down here in SO ILL love glow in dark but UV is totally unwanted because nobody would ever see it. Nobody has the lights.

I enjoy Lucy, Yes it may be a bit weaker of a glow than Electric Flamingo in a UV flashlight... but have you ever put the new batches of Electric Flamingo under tube lighting? you get almost NO glow! Lucy covers both light spectrums and I really like that! Plus a love it so much more that this isn't a gimmicky/"Rev33"/Drop it when we want to color, Its going to be a full production color and will be stocked up just like Illuminati is everywhere now, I cant wait for that!

and on the subject of "glow glass"...

Imma let ya'll finish but... Bohica a.k.a Original Glow a.k.a BoroGlow a.k.a The Baddest Mofo in the Glow industry sells the best "Glow" of all time!(Kanye reference)

I reallly love mixing the Blue with aqua azul frit... no one even knows its glows until its dark in the room!
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$$$$$ View Post
    This thread is sweet, keep it going. Keep describing the piece without pics and we'll try to picture it and ask cool questions, such as where's the pics or post pics..
    Quote Originally Posted by DickFarm Glass View Post
    I'm no longer learning to blow glass...Back to the shop with my bad ass self, this Lambo isn't going to buy itself

I must have the old flamingo. When i make tubing out of rod with it and no clear it is amazingly bright UV effect.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    That makes no sense tho. It's like saying "Vehicles and Ford mustangs, while similar..." Uranium doped glass colors are only a single variety of UV reactive colors. I think I get what you're saying in the comparison of Illuminati to the various other colors, but they're the same thing in this context. As for brightness, Uranium is by far the brightest currently being used, but there are other chemicals that are just as bright is someone's willing to pay $500 a pound for them.
    From what I have read about optics and human perception of light: humans perceive green light better than any other wavelength. This is one of the reasons it is commonly used for weapon sights and allows for dim yet clear instrumentation in cars and other vehicles. I think UV green will probably always glow brighter than any other color because of this. Even if their light emission is exactly same the green will appear to the eye to be much brighter.

What are the other chemicals that will be brighter and cost $500/lb?

I think what skuzz is trying to talk about ...and possibly not fully understanding while doing so ..is the lemon drop cad based colors .. (Orange sunshine barrels ) or what ever the other guys lemon crush maybe ..? Any way those colors don't transmit uv light ... They reflect it .. I think other colors actually transmit the light and are more uv reactive

nope, I know fully what I am saying. I have some lemon drop for comparison, and It has the same uv reaction as the lucy that I have.
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

but the lemon drop has more effect. I have 6 different things to compare I believe, and they all have a similar weak effect, except for the illuminati and the corning of course. Disagree if you like, its not gonna make me buy any more or less of these colors. I am just reporting what I see. And as I said, I am comparing them side by side, not from memory. Its hard to argue when the stuff is all sitting on the table next to each other. Maybe it is just the batches I have gotten or something, but none of these bling hard unless you put them under a UV flashlight (uranium glass does though). And I think it is great that they have a tiny uv effect, but it does not seem worth it to pay more money, because I dont know anyone that sits around smoking with a uv flashlight as their light source. I also said in my first post that I had read and understood that there were two different types of UV reactions going on.

Formerly known as Skuzz

chinese strike red has as much uv effect as lucy

Formerly known as Skuzz

Quote Originally Posted by D. dino i ninjah View Post
    I think what skuzz is trying to talk about ...and possibly not fully understanding while doing so ..is the lemon drop cad based colors .. (Orange sunshine barrels ) or what ever the other guys lemon crush maybe ..? Any way those colors don't transmit uv light ... They reflect it .. I think other colors actually transmit the light and are more uv reactive
    None of these colors reflect or refract UV light in any why that matters. They are UV reactive because they absorb UV light and then emit a different wavelength of light. All that we care about is the light emission. There are only two types that matter with glass florescence and phosphorescence. Florescence is glass that absorbs one wavelength and emits another as long as it is receiving energy (most UV glass). Phosphorescence can absorb one wavelength then emit another even after the light source has been removed (glow in the dark).

People need to get words like reflect and refract out of the UV conversation. Transmit can be useful as some transparent UV glass will allow the UV to propagate further into the glass than other UV glass. Last batch Atomic Kumquat while very clear had very short UV transmission/propagation. If you had a US light source at one end only the first few inches would glow, while an entire rod of Electric Flamingo would glow right next to it.

sorry to resurrect the thread, but i just had this conversation with a supplier over some lucy i'd ordered. here are some comparisons, i was told that this is typical.

these are raw images.

Attachment 85165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6978.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	85171

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6981.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	85172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6989.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	85173

Name:	DSC_6991.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	85174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6994.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	85175

these comparisons were done under a warm white fluorescent ring and a proper 400nm, 15w 200ma CF blacklight. it does this to illuminati:

Name:	illuminatiWag1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	85176

and for the record, this is the sales pic from the supplier, who informed me that it was northstar's "official" sales pic:

Name:  -NS0139-NorthstarLucyRod.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  37.5 KB

notice any difference?

i use NS glass almost every day, they make some of my favorite colors. this is very disappointing though... either this batch is off, that photograph has been shopped, or NS is shooting under high-powered UV inspection lights, which you're not ever going to find in a domestic setting without a pile of safety glasses. soo, i get to ship this stuff back for credit. wee.

ed: i'm not sure why the first image is posting as a link.

ya my lucy i got seems weak too in a regular blacklight thzat works amazing on illuminati. I heard an led style uv simulated flashlight works great for lucy though, if i understood correctly. there is some kind of led flashlight uv mod with bits of different colored clear tape.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

i'm not surprised that it's possible to get this glass to fluoresce, but i wish NS would describe such a method in its sales materials, because when i think about "UV reactive" glass, i'm assuming we're talking about reactive under the ubiquitous 400nm fluoro tube, because that's what you're going to find in shop cases, nightclubs, and in a ton of homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeef View Post
    i'm not surprised that it's possible to get this glass to fluoresce, but i wish NS would describe such a method in its sales materials, because when i think about "UV reactive" glass, i'm assuming we're talking about reactive under the ubiquitous 400nm fluoro tube, because that's what you're going to find in shop cases, nightclubs, and in a ton of homes.
    I've heard working it in a reducing environment helps it to glow more. I have no idea if that's true, just something I read somewhere. It could be true I suppose. I've used it before and wasn't happy with the glow and when I used it again later it seemed to glow more. I couldn't tell you if the flame chemistry made a difference just because I don't remember what kinda flame I was using the first time around. Or the second to be honest hahah I need to pay more attention.

Sorry to come in late on this convo, but I find that my old tube bulb uv light maked both uranium and others glow brighter than my uv flashlight I use at the bench to decifer uv from others, also with taking pictures this is especially true. My flamingo batches all 3 are weaker than the lucy in both type uv lights and definitely have more air content. Im using first quality of both as well and not sure if a reduced flame will help the lucy like the washed out cads like mixing acid yellow down w clear or using crush type colors from Rob Davis ot or others that seem to sometimes react better worked in fuel rich flames. My multiple orders of lucy have reacted brighter by at least a small amount than the flamingo or atomic kumquat. Just to be clear the round regular old bulb type uv lights dont work at all so don't waste your time! Ive also been using uranium Boro for many years anf nothing will react as bright as the green.

I have hand picked from large batches.... It IS all over the place glow wise.

Similar to the first run of flamingo.

n.s. is probably still fighting the learning curve. If you got a really sub par batch I would contact north star. (In a nice, adult, professional manor.)

They want your business. Not to mention they will most likely give you the cream of the crop replacement.