The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Seeking studio with large kiln (oregon)

Default Seeking studio with large kiln (oregon)

I'm planning a project that is much larger than my biggest kiln and am seeking a studio in Oregon or SW Washington that has a kiln that can fit a piece 6-9 feet long and 8-12 inches high. I am still in the design phase and know that the oven size will be my biggest constraint so need to hammer out that detail before I get to deep. If anyone has ideas please let me know.
    JayS.

Default Re: Seeking studio with large kiln (oregon)

Years ago I saw Savoy Studio in portland had a giant kiln they used for fusing bar tops and stuff, it would probably fit the bill. http://www.savoystudios.com/
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Elements Glass down town in the pearl has kilns that would work for you. It is also a shop that rents out it equipment. http://elementsglass.com/

What are you making?!
    ~Misha

i imagine a long bong?

I'm in a similar situation with a project I'd like to make for my personal use. Does anyone have a lathe(and can flare a vac stack section I send into a dinner plate sized foot) to stick together a bong I'll make annd send in two pieces?

Basically itll involve sealing a roughly. 18-22 inch fully worked bubble bong to a matching worked stem also 18-22inches tall( like a wine glass foot and stem attached to bottom of bong) and foot.

Once again I'll make everything and ship it. I need a quote from someone who has skills to flare a perfect large foot and lathe weld the foot and stem to the bong. Anyone able to fit something that large in their kiln and wanna do it? About 36-44 inches overall. I have a pic of something I had at one time similar to what I'm going for.. I'll post pic later

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460599254607.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	83868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460599285150.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	83869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460599339607.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	83870 I owned this but it was destroyed in my shop fire years ago. I want to make something similar and have someone make me a foot like pictured outta a vac stack I'll send, then attach foot stem and bong and anneal in a huge kiln.

Anyone down for this collab? I'll be keeping it if I do only one. We can discuss making more if interested. I'm serious about this but I need foot to come out good on this.

Jacob Meuser aka Mizer

https://www.facebook.com/jacob.meuser?fref=ts

instagram @ jake_mizer

hes my old shop mate, good dude hes in eugene. definetly has the lathe skills to do it proper and is down for collabing, but it wont be cheap.i think the biggest over he has in shop is an f-500

+1 for elements in portland. amazing facility, solid people.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into both of them.

Misha, I'm working on a large sculpture in the style of my picture from a month or two ago. A tower of people standing on one another holding hands. Where it goes from there is a bit up in the air right now. Still deciding on the base style, if it will also be a fountain and where it's initial showing will be. I would like to go eight feet high but obviously kiln size is going to come into play.

Good guess Jackass Glass but I would rather smoke a bong than make one, plenty of skilled people focusing on that.