The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Glassware marketplace looking for artists to sell products and get paid.

Default Glassware marketplace looking for artists to sell products and get paid.

We are a artist based marketplace looking for talented glassblowers to sell their products and be featured for advertising.

We want glassblowers that specialize in dab rigs, water pipes and accessories. Take a look at our website as well as our Artisan Collection plus our featured video of one of our artists. slabsters.com

Sign up and login page http://slabsters.marketplaceadmin.co...dmin/index.php

Here are some FAQs

Who is Slabsters?
    We are a community powered glassware marketplace, our products are only the best high quality made in the USA. We offer a one stop shop for premium dabbing essentials.

We offer the opportunities to be featured as centerpieces to the marketplace as well (contact us for details).

I am an independent artist what's in it for me?
    With our service there will be no need to pay for a website or marketplace, though if you already have a store you can use our platform to redirect them back to you. We simply offer a focused marketplace for dabbing needs where you can publish your products and we help you sell them. We will provide collaborative marketing and content to engage a focused customer group.

There are even opportunities for artists to go beyond the glass and share media, content, videos, bios and more. We feature select talented artist as center pieces to the marketplace, we offer a magazine style portfolio we can create for you!

How do I get started?
    There is a easy set up process. Enter your information then begin submitting your best products for review. Once your product are accepted they will automatically be published in the marketplace under it's appropriate category.

What payment processing service do you use?
    Our payment processing for purchases that your customers make will be processed directly through the Shopify Secured Checkout.

How do I get paid?
    All payments will be automatically sent directly to either your personal bank account or to your PayPal account. Customers also pay your directly for shipping that will be precalculated for your customers.

OK, sounds cool but what's it going to cost?
    We charge a 7% flat fee only when your product sells. There is no monthly cost or fee for publishing any products. Best of all the products are ranked in The Shop by BEST SELLING so if share your creations you will stay on top! We also even help with your advertising. Saving you time, money, and effort.

What products can I sell here?
    All products you submit must be of high quality glass made in the USA, we prefer artist made and one-of-a-kind pieces as well. Our marketplace is focused in the dabbing community so please post products for that genre. * only exception is if it is a artist made piece that is rare or extraordinary. Please do your best to make your posts as professonal as possible, this is your brand, your store.

What do I do once I open my store? Begin by taking and uploading some great pictures of your creations, give your piece a name and get creative. Use all the relevent tags you want for your work and your brand, then of course set your price to what you would like to sell it for. When pricing stay competitve, our customers will be browsing your premium glass with much easier access that they will get directly from you.

I'm OPEN! Now what? If you choose, share your products on your social media and have your friends check out your line up. If you want to be featured with more media and better placement contact us sales@slabsters.com

If you have any questions please contact us at Sales@Slabsters.com

Last edited by Slabsters; 05-28-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: Glassware marketplace looking for artists to sell products and get paid.

Well I am not the most skilled at computers, but I registered for your contest and it was NOT at all easy. Don't mislead people. Maybe it was it was just the contest website... But I subscribed and was verified through email, but I still could not get 1 entry. It seemed like I needed a Facebook account, but it said there were 5-6 ways to enter including email.
    This is just my experience.

Default Re: Glassware marketplace looking for artists to sell products and get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by harpentuan View Post
    Well I am not the most skilled at computers, but I registered for your contest and it was NOT at all easy. Don't mislead people. Maybe it was it was just the contest website... But I subscribed and was verified through email, but I still could not get 1 entry. It seemed like I needed a Facebook account, but it said there were 5-6 ways to enter including email.
    This is just my experience.
    We do apologize for your experience, that may be the contest website however the entries are only through social features and other actions, you can however log in to begin submitting your entries using your email but the email itself does not count as an entry. Again we do apologize for any inconvenience and confusion. Please let us know if there's any other way we can be of assistance.

Thank you so much for your reply. You cleared it right up for me. And I appreciate that. So it was the contest website that was sort of misleading, and NOT Slabsters. They are 2 different domains. Best wishes, -Harpentuan.

Sounds like a cool set up, kind of like a bigcartel but aimed at a more specific audience.

I would be willing to check it out more, if not for one thing. Paypal does not allow sales of smoking devices or accessories. If they catch you using their service for these items they lock you out of your account and your money can be tied up for months. It's not pretty. I couldn't risk my paypal account being locked up or shut down because I use it for everything non-pipe related like marbles.

Are there alternative payment methods?
    ~Misha

Thank you for that, and I do apologize for not being completely clear, our payment processing for the products that are purchased are done directly through our Shopify store which does allow these products as for the how of each sales get paid out to the artist will be done through PayPal.

Default Re: We're giving away a $375 Rig Set.

I don't know if I was misunderstood concerning the "doing the advertising for you", or if harpentuan was bring up a separate point. In case of confusion, I'd like to point out that what I was talking about had nothing to do with gleam, but rather the quote from Slabster's other thread, that says:

"I'm OPEN! Now what? This is the best part, share with all your followers and friends alike that some of you best creations are now available at a new easy to use marketplace."

Such blatant "please do marketing for me because I'm too cheap to do it myself" language. Don't get me wrong - getting your customers to advertise for you is the best sort of marketing (and not only because its the cheapest) - but being so blatant about it certainly rubs me the wrong way. Its the sort of thing that you want to encourage - but, much like courting a girl, do it too obviously and it'll never happen.

Am I being overly critical? Yeah, probably. Also, that language was only here on tmp, not on the site, so not really all that egregious. Glad you're taking it as useful feedback - that really is my point, I was never going to enter the contest or try to sell work through you guys anyway - but when people creep me out and seem receptive to feedback, it's somewhat amusing to let them know what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mattholimeau View Post
    I don't know if I was misunderstood concerning the "doing the advertising for you", or if harpentuan was bring up a separate point. In case of confusion, I'd like to point out that what I was talking about had nothing to do with gleam, but rather the quote from Slabster's other thread, that says:

"I'm OPEN! Now what? This is the best part, share with all your followers and friends alike that some of you best creations are now available at a new easy to use marketplace."

Such blatant "please do marketing for me because I'm too cheap to do it myself" language. Don't get me wrong - getting your customers to advertise for you is the best sort of marketing (and not only because its the cheapest) - but being so blatant about it certainly rubs me the wrong way. Its the sort of thing that you want to encourage - but, much like courting a girl, do it too obviously and it'll never happen.

Am I being overly critical? Yeah, probably. Also, that language was only here on tmp, not on the site, so not really all that egregious. Glad you're taking it as useful feedback - that really is my point, I was never going to enter the contest or try to sell work through you guys anyway - but when people creep me out and seem receptive to feedback, it's somewhat amusing to let them know what I think.
    Right on! Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by PyroChixRock View Post
    Sounds like a cool set up, kind of like a bigcartel but aimed at a more specific audience.

I would be willing to check it out more, if not for one thing. Paypal does not allow sales of smoking devices or accessories. If they catch you using their service for these items they lock you out of your account and your money can be tied up for months. It's not pretty. I couldn't risk my paypal account being locked up or shut down because I use it for everything non-pipe related like marbles.

Are there alternative payment methods?
    Thank you for that, and yes I do apologize for not being completely clear, our payment processing for the products that are purchased are done directly through our Shopify store payment processing powered by stripe which does allow these products as for the how of each sales get paid out to the artist that will be done through PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by mattholimeau View Post

Why wouldn't you use a marketplace aimed at a particular audience you want to be in front of? From what he is saying, he's not setting it up much differently from the others out there like etsy, big cartel, etc. He's taking 7% of the sale, not charging listing fees, and providing a platform to display and possibly sell work.

Things like this all start small, but without us giving them a chance they won't grow. I for one think a specific audience target is a great idea. I don't put my pipes on etsy, too many others and the rules are weird. It would be a total waste of time if someone flags you and your shop gets shut down, not worth the risk imo.

But this might be.

My biggest concern is still the paypal link. Even with taking payments through shopify, you'll be paying the artists later through paypal. How are you going to remove the whole "it's a pipe" aspect when paying an artist? Also are you sure shopify allows pipes? I think this might be a misunderstanding. There are not many merchants out there willing to accept payments for pipes yet because of the federal guidelines, and the ones that are are not cheap. I don't mean to keep asking the same question but this is a serious concern for us as pipemakers.

Also how do you age verify your customers?
    ~Misha

Why wouldn't you use a marketplace aimed at a particular audience you want to be in front of?
    Oh, I guess I was unclear. When I say "I wasn't going to sell work through them anyway", I didn't mean it because I think their idea/approach/marketplace is bad, I just mean to identify that I'm not someone who is actively trying to sell my work.... and also, I have no knowledge of or interest in dabbing. (Apparently its around the north east a little bit, but still, at least in my admittedly tiny circle of friends, a complete novelty, not at all in the norm.) Hell, me, the few mini rigs i've made are grommet bongs, not even GonG, because that's what I personally happen to like and am used to.

Just meant to say that I'm not in the target audience for this, neither consumer nor supplier, and it's not the audience I happen to want to be in front of. But if someone does, more power to 'em.

(Also, sorry for making you move the post! I considered switching threads, but the conversation seemed to spawn from the other one, but yeah, it makes a lot more sense for it to be here.)

Why wouldn't you use a marketplace aimed at a particular audience you want to be in front of? From what he is saying, he's not setting it up much differently from the others out there like etsy, big cartel, etc. He's taking 7% of the sale, not charging listing fees, and providing a platform to display and possibly sell work.

Things like this all start small, but without us giving them a chance they won't grow. I for one think a specific audience target is a great idea. I don't put my pipes on etsy, too many others and the rules are weird. It would be a total waste of time if someone flags you and your shop gets shut down, not worth the risk imo.

But this might be.

My biggest concern is still the paypal link. Even with taking payments through shopify, you'll be paying the artists later through paypal. How are you going to remove the whole "it's a pipe" aspect when paying an artist? Also are you sure shopify allows pipes? I think this might be a misunderstanding. There are not many merchants out there willing to accept payments for pipes yet because of the federal guidelines, and the ones that are are not cheap. I don't mean to keep asking the same question but this is a serious concern for us as pipemakers.

Also how do you age verify your customers?
    That's a great question! Thank you for also pointing out features of our site that could be beneficial. We really appreciate your support.
    As for the PayPal paying out the artist aspect, the restrictions that they have are limited to certain products of course, products intended for tobacco use have limited restrictions and along with that category are water pipes which is primarily why we focus on rigs and tubes. Artist that are simply being paid as merchants to deliver artwork becomes a different category. However I'm glad you have brought this point up, and that also we are in our growth phase, we looked into integrating with Bank of America which has confirmed they have no issues with these transactions.
    As for our age verification system, we have one when you visit the site which by acknowledging and accepting that you are of legal age releases some our liability according to the FTC COPPA.
    Please feel free to send us more feedback, we want to build this together with the people who get it and would use it the most.

Default Glassware marketplace looking for artists to sell products and get paid.

Wanted to share a video that shows what we're all about.

https://youtu.be/_f0seMEfbLI

I really like what you are putting together but I have to agree with Misha when it comes to problems arising from your payment processing methods. I also have a Shopify website & was able to fly under the radar for a bit selling pipes & processing via Stripe. It does violate their terms though and eventually someone noticed and blocked us from processing. We're still able to host the site there just not use their processing. I've tried a ridiculous number of processors and in my experience if it's not a "high risk" processor they will eventually cut you off. I've even explained in detail to processing companies what I'm selling, had them reassure me that was fine just to be shut down 3 months down the line. It's been very frustrating to say the least! I'd love to participate in a legit online marketplace for glass! Etsy was very successful for me until they shut me down permanently. Just wanted to give you a heads up as to my experiences so hopefully you'll have better luck!