The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One piece sherlocks

Default One piece sherlocks

Made a few sherlocks last week. Not totally stoked on my bends, consistently failing in the same spot at the bottom bend. Watched a few videos and read a bunch of threads but there's no sub for doing it for real. Do i need to condense the neck before stretching or just let it cool a few more seconds? I do know how to bridge but did not bridge these because the bends were lame right after the pull, i just added dots out of habit and for practice. I'm happy with the fume tho!
    Maybe i should pull first then heat gently and bend? What's the most consistent way to make nice sherlock bends for newbs?
    Tips for bending would be appreciated. I have plenty of 26x4 and a blow hose.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	266 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	86528

Default Re: One piece sherlocks

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...aymie+shurlock
    This is why I even do them ever,I would just avoid them until I seen this one be made.I love the look just hated how my bend goes sometimes
    and never thought to bridge it and fix it.I have much better luck with 2 piece locks.That's a hard bend to make nice,very rare see a nice bend in headshop's by me,most have weird crease.I have had luck heating more glass than it looks like I need to make the bend and working it far out in the flame and bent slowly in a high propane flame,same way I bend the neck of a rig.Yours do not look too bad at all,I can't do the bend too good if the glass is way too thick I noticed.
    Last edited by LRG; 09-04-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Aymie's sherlock video changed my world too . Watch how she moves the glass and the positions her hands are in. The other key is having enough of the glass heated properly to get a smooth bend.

my tric to nailing that kind of one piece, because there are several ways to do this, is to to get the bell at the front large and round and punty up, then gather the rest of the point behind that bell (ball, round piece of hollowglass, bhatever you wanna call it) and then I hang the gather, and right as cools, throw you punty up vertical and your blowtube end horizontal, and just be still as you hold a perfect L. Very few failures after som practice with this method. If its all evenly hot you wont have a kink or anything wonky, and you will not need to bridge.
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

when I say hang the gather, I mean damn near act as if your pulling a point, just only pull enough for the niec of your pipe. if its hot enough and evenly hot, gravity will do the pull and you will just have to control it very carefully

Formerly known as Skuzz

I have another style slump sherlock that fifdeez showed me how to make. Ironic since aymie decided shit hated both me and fif the day we joined th bords. I am not a hater though, good demo. I hope you read this Aymie, I am gonna make some sherlocks using your method today. Maybe that will make you smile or burn your ass. Thanx for resharing another great demo guys

Formerly known as Skuzz

Hey, thanks all!
    Aymies video didn't play for me when i found it a couple months ago but this time it worked. She does it sorta backwards from other teks, I'm a fan of that so I'll do some that way. That Burn and Learn looks just like what Skuzz describes, I'll give that a try also. That guy cracks me up (B&L, not Skuzz...well sometimes i guess!).
    Lots of tuts on two piece, not so many onesies. Have not attempted multi pieces yet.
    Ultimately I really just need to get time on the torch.

that first one is badass LRG, never seen it done that way.

Formerly known as Skuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Hey, thanks all!
    Aymies video didn't play for me when i found it a couple months ago but this time it worked. She does it sorta backwards from other teks, I'm a fan of that so I'll do some that way. That Burn and Learn looks just like what Skuzz describes, I'll give that a try also. That guy cracks me up (B&L, not Skuzz...well sometimes i guess!).
    Lots of tuts on two piece, not so many onesies. Have not attempted multi pieces yet.
    Ultimately I really just need to get time on the torch.
    I do it somewhat like b and l, but I pop my hole and push it after the pull. I have not made many of them in about a year though after learning these different styles. I have not made a sherlock at all for 2 months though.

Formerly known as Skuzz

I still have not made a 2 piece. No blow hose for me, I still blow things up with one. I have some ideas on make the 2 peice like horns pointing down and making a thick Y bridge under the connection leading into a stem and foot like a goblet. The front horn shape having a 270 degree loop back up towards the mouthpeice direction as a remote snorkel like carb and the loop being a handle.

Im starting to figure out lots of artsy ideas, whether I can do them or not is another story. Truly though, everything is getting easier all the time.

These two came out much better. I got the stem much hotter than before and pulled slower, let it slump-hang in position. Bridged to the carb spot to do dots this time, nice tek. I am really happy with the fume, love the gold look! I might even ask a few bucks for these two.

Views:	178 
Size:	956.0 KB 
ID:	86548

Fuck yeah dude those are nice

Killing it now!

Wow!Them are great!

The wrapped one got away from me a lil bit but the purple one came out good. Took a shot at a two piece, joint cracked but i salvaged it (I hope).

Views:	164 
Size:	696.5 KB 
ID:	86554

the last one, on the bottom right, looks quite smooth.. but it has a large mouthpiece.. which is the bane of many a glassblower.

from the pictures you've posted, i suggest shaping the "blank" more before doing your bend.

move mass from the mouthpiece area into where the bend will happen.

this is how i do mine.. more or less: (yeah, it looks molten as can be.. but that's just the camera being overly sensitive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG-IRmel...en-by=firekist

just keep doing them.. after a couple thousand they are easy.
    ---seth

Click the link for Stainless Steel V2 double swivels, silicone blowhose boots, Blowhose Holster, silicone blowhoses, and the Infini-V roller constriction V:
    www.etsy.com/shop/firekistglass
    here are some reviews and stuff:
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...hlight=swivels

Better every time

Views:	193 
Size:	971.4 KB 
ID:	86616

You got it!SO CLEAN!

Shaping & fume on point! +1
    Quote Originally Posted by β View Post
    I’m glad we’re still talking about banning nomad 10yrs later!