The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: One piece sherlocks

Default Re: One piece sherlocks

Been a minute since i pulled a 'lock.

I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

nice! dudes chillin i made a decent one today ill post it up when the kilns done with its thang.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170516_114314.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	90266 here it is I used 4 or 5 inches of 38x4 it's got some weight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170527_100610.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	90361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170527_100631.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	90362

Ns aurora

Nice! I really like Aurora frit, one of the few colors i have on my bench.

I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

thanks i always enjoy making these. occasionally i completely mess them up and theres usually no saving the piece if it goes to hell.
    but most of the time i nail them and they're faster and more fun than spoons. they take more concentration though.

i just do a hot seal for my punty on these now and the tube doesn't crack and the punty never lets loose in the middle of the bend.

also, if i messed up and forgot to or didn't preshape the bowl area well enough i add a dot of glass or leave some of the hot sealed punty clear on. then i blow the bowl hole out of that like a kicked out carb so the hole is nice and thick and it doesn't open on itself and makes it easier to push the hole to the center even and all that.

Glad my video is helpful to some of you, especially since I fucked it up a bit. Make sure you watch the diameter of the neck. Sherlocks are harder to clean than spoons and that bend gets clogged up quick. You want it to work well, not just look pretty. Also, if the head is close enough to the neck, it's not a bad idea to bridge the two...adds a bit of strength and helps that bend not just break apart when they get bumped or dropped.

Aymie

Aymee your video was super helpful. I have been focusing on neck thickness and maintaining consistent wall thickness as well. Bridging is next on list of sherlock skills to practice, I haven't even made an attempt yet. To be honest I don't know even where to start with a small bridge from bowl to neck, how to get a bleb between them right in the center. So far my attepts at any kind of horn are fugly.

i dont think i've seen the video yet. its legendary as far as im concerned tho i always see it mentioned ill search it. i saw some guy dj mittens on youtube when i first saw a sherlock done and it blew (no pun intended) my mind.

i love seeing how hot i can get stuff and still control it. i admit that second piece i posted would prolly clog easily and be fragile. that cobalt takes some serious heat to bend tho and it flattened out a bit as a result. still not there yet gotta get some rest and ill try some more tomorrow.

bb
    Last edited by High Beam; 07-16-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: didnt relate to post

I struggle so much with shaping stuff evenly

I'm an amateur(warning)

went through this whole thread. great info and well done when u started those cerebrus. i have been practicing one pieces here and there and i have a super thick frit piece im about to bend but i practiced on some clear a few times today bc i dont wanna fuck this one up, even though i could start over again easily. you guys know that feeling. i just really want a shape that is not so thin on the bend on this one. heres the "blank". bowl is already pushed so i'll punty up with a cold tack to the bowl i guess.

don't know if i posted the butterscotch one finished somewhere else but these are really fun to do with a kickstand. I dont post my stuff here to say "look at me", most of you guys are far ahead of me and i welcome critiques and advice and opinions or whatever. This forum is a great place for shop talk unlike other platforms that are more sales driven. Anyway....the 2nd one is my first encased opal. I've had a little issue with these popping the carb in the super thick bowls. I might start removing glass from the spot before i go to pop them bc damn......

It looks like it went well for ya! Interesting tech on the bend by punty to pushed bowl.
    Not a bad idea to remove a bit of material for a carb on these thickbois, takes a lot of heat to punch through.