The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One piece sherlocks

Default Re: One piece sherlocks

Damn, you figured it before the thread got even 2 pages long haha that thing looks sweet. If i could do that id throw some sort of feet on it and make it stand up. Good job man, you made me want a sherlock now.

Thanks all, i get super stressed when i get a nice pull worrying I'll crack it or somehow kill it before it gets into the kiln. I've lost a few but mostly they survive now. More tube arrived yesterday so I'll bust out some more this week. I added a milli to a spoon for the first time so I'm ready to take a shot at more decorations soon. I want to be able to make half a dozen nicely shaped sherlocks in a row before i go too far down Fancy Road. Happy with progress so far tho!

This started much bigger but it got too hot and the neck collapsed shut on the pull. I salvaged the mouth end and made this lil burner out of it. It came out better than the plans I had for the original!
    Blue Caramel frit w/ gold fume and English Ivy accents
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1,019.7 KB 
ID:	86707

Salvaged another piece of something into this lil iso fume toker.

Views:	127 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	87122

Fumed cobalt tube gold and silver for this one, i like the shape and is comfy in the hand.

Views:	118 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	87123

I could use some input on this one also. To the left of the dots is a "C" shaped area that "crystallized" when i was melting in the dots. Is this what is called "skuzz"? It only happened where it got hot like this and not where the flame was directly pointed but the side of the flame. I had what i believe was oxidizing flame (dots are Aquatic Carnival so trying to keep it from hazing).
    I have had glass frost on me before and usually can heat it and smooth it back out but this didn't want to clear up. Is it the silver or cobalt? I have nor done much with cobalt and know it requires heat so it's a balance against burning off the silver. Not sure what i should do on the next one to avoid this, any tips or advice on fuming blue? Much appreciated.
    Other than this skuzz it's a nice piece but not sure if good enough to sell with the crusty spot.

Views:	108 
Size:	924.9 KB 
ID:	87124

Almost looks like the glass was dirty, burnt something in. Cover it with opaque dots or a marble of something? Did it look like it was boiling in the flame? Maybe keep trying to get it hotter if it's not boiling or looking worse.

Dirty glass! That may be it. Did not see any boiling, it wasn't that hot, but it did seem to appear from nowhere. This was chinese tube that had been on the bench for a while so it may have been scuffed up a bit. Very little experience with color tube. I'll work more of the remaining tube in the same way and see if i can do it again (ugh) to narrow down the cause.

Thanks for the link BoRo.
    I found last nite on a second piece that the high oxy flame seemed to cook the fume as I showed but then with a softer fuel flame I was able to polish it out.
    I did not get the crust on the pull but after adding dots/deco, it came when I heated the piece to melt the dots in. I have not experimented with changing gas/oxy pressures at the regulators. I'm using a Mirage at 30/5 psi (have to confirm those tonite) and so far most stuff works fine. Not sure i'm good enough with glass to be confident changing regulator pressures will affect results as much as my lack of experience. I usually get decent fume results without going back to do detail work, this is somewhat new tech for me.

It's almost unnoticeable to the novice blower.

Your flames seem the same.
    The knobs just become more sensitive at higher pressure.

Sometimes you can see a slightly better end product from the right pressures.

My dispensary wasn't interested in any spoons but wanted cheap sherlocks so I got after them a lil bit more. This week has been a cluster and ran out of oxy so no melt for the last few days. I did some of these on points and some on tubes, tubes are easier for me for these. I don't have the experience with points to feel totally comfortable pulling and bending so I overthink it and lose my groove. Came out pretty good, couple wonky mouthpieces but I'll hit it again this weekend, they want 25 next thursday.

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	87472

Coming on good there. I see you got it, here's mine...

I know Aymie's wonderful cleavage makes it hard to focus but I do the same, except that;

Mouthpiece is done and attached, then I cut off the blank (25.4, same as you) to work on.

The punty is in the left hand and I have a blowhose & swivel on the right.

The blank is rotated in the flame with axis horizontal and about 30 degrees to flame axis, looking down on it. This gives a nice spread of soaked in heat.

Take it out the flame, puff pull and shape all in one movement.

Do attachments and bowl work, remove from blowtube.

Everyone develops their favourite ways I guess :-)

Name:	IMG_20160916_094958.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	734.8 KB 
ID:	87473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160917_112439.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	783.4 KB 
ID:	87474
    Last edited by Swampy; 10-27-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: 25.4, same as you
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    My dispensary wasn't interested in any spoons but wanted cheap sherlocks so I got after them a lil bit more. This week has been a cluster and ran out of oxy so no melt for the last few days. I did some of these on points and some on tubes, tubes are easier for me for these. I don't have the experience with points to feel totally comfortable pulling and bending so I overthink it and lose my groove. Came out pretty good, couple wonky mouthpieces but I'll hit it again this weekend, they want 25 next thursday.

Very nice!I have met a lot of blowers who can not make that shape like that!Don't sell them too cheap!I like selling my glass to them kinda places.Around here I deal with the mom and pop type of shop.They treat me right and everyone makes that $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

They look pretty clean man! Love the green one on the left

Thanks for the compliments AND the tips!
    I sell these for $12 to dispensary. They don't carry any really nice glass, the buyer said customers rarely buy anything above $25.
    Nevada recognizes out of state med cards so we get a lot of tourists here and they just want something super cheap and "disposable", mostly onies, chillums and shitty little import spoons. There's not much money in this town so fancy glass market is pretty small. These guys are right around the corner from me, they are really cool and buy most of what I bring in so it's about as "easy money" as it gets, not much of it but it covers expenses and that's enough.

Hell yeah!3 doors down is my shop haha same deal 30 $ tops is best.2$ one hitters they buy as many as I want to bring them.12$ is not bad at all.I sell 10$ spoons still,I don't care I never have no sales.I got my shop to buy a 100 spoons with the idea to give away spoons with orders over 100$.It worked pretty good they said and there ready for more.I do giveaways where you guess the weight of the pipe.Everyone who goes in there looks at my glass,someone wins it,I get sales.Got them to do it with a nug too.The place was boring with no glass and me and my buddys got it looking real nice I think.Fells good standing in line when I am not selling glass seeing people buy my work.Got like a bar tab over there now haha I don't drink,we trade off a lot of stuff to so that really saves me sum $ and free samples all the time.Think the girl there likes me a little too much but I can't blame her.Sick work bro,just gets easier from here on!!

Quote Originally Posted by LRG View Post
    Think the girl there likes me a little too much but I can't blame her.
    LOL yeeea boiiii!

So far this is the only one I've made that the shape isn't completely horrible. How do you guys put the feet on? I had a little trouble getting it to sit even on a table with out distorting the shape

I'm an amateur(warning)

Never really seen any sherlocks with feet. Often a marble on the side is a good kickstand..
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

I haven't put feet on mine so I can't say. Kinda depends on how you want the piece to stand, in what orientation.
    Hold your lock the way you want it to stand while touching the table, use your imagination to picture three feet in a circle centered around the point that is touching the table. Add three feet just like you have in the picture, account for balance as well.
    Second way, you use the pipe as one foot and add two more. In your pic there are two little horns on front of the bowl, if you stand the pice on the front (mouthpiece straight up) does it stand by itself?
    Balance and weight distribution is key. If you like the shape but it falls over after you put feet on it you can counterweight with a marble.