The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: transparent silver fume?

Default transparent silver fume?

Sooo as the title says I've been having trouble with silver. I was hoping someone who fumes a bunch could help me out.. Im on a lynx on k tanks, and only use simax.

I used to be able to get brilliant neon blues whenever I imploded silver fume into clear. Now, over the passed few months my implosion color has gotten worse and worse. The color disappears almost completely or is super transparent. I also haven't been able to flame strike back either. I try to use a slightly oxidizing to neutral flame the whole time. It also happens with my gold when its layered with the silver. The bright greens I would get before are now not nearly the same and definitely transparent. I use a soft flame, nothing that would burn the silver off. When the implosion is condensed theres a clear termination spot with the silver and the dots on the back, so I figure the silver should be there. Its almost like the dots aren't trapping the silver or the dots burn the silver away on contact? Pretty frustrating since I'm not sure what I'm doing different than before .. just wondering if anyone has experienced this, or had any suggestions. Im open to any thoughts or comments. Thanks everyone!
    instagram - @tomw4

Default Re: transparent silver fume?

Have you ordered any new Simax recently? The newer batches of Simax have either changed the formula, or just aren't quite back to normal after the furnace rebuild they did. The newer stuff is fuming a bit differently than the older stuff, and is a little bit harder to get the silver to come out as nice until you figure out how to do it. Do the tubes glow blue when held next to the flame, or are they more of a greenish color, with no glow. The newer stuff has the blue glow.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseNip View Post
    Have you ordered any new Simax recently? The newer batches of Simax have either changed the formula, or just aren't quite back to normal after the furnace rebuild they did. The newer stuff is fuming a bit differently than the older stuff, and is a little bit harder to get the silver to come out as nice until you figure out how to do it. Do the tubes glow blue when held next to the flame, or are they more of a greenish color, with no glow. The newer stuff has the blue glow.
    Yup, I heard about this from b-bos posts on instagram. I totally should have said I tested this glass by doing a comb, and was able to strike it and get good colors and growth. I gotta wait till the night time when its dark, but I checked it this afternoon and there didnt seem to be any glow at all. Definitely not like my scalloped tubing(which I believe is the new simax). So this issue has convinced me its completely my error, although I haven't tested my simax rods yet..
    instagram - @tomw4

check the cross section, the new stuff is bluer in hue. speculation from those smarter than me (easy feat lol) surmise that it's due to the factory recently rebuilding their furnaces and new refractory etc is leeching chemical into the glass. after a break in period all should go back to normal.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

I'm guessing it is from the rebuild as well, and not a purposeful change in formula. Kavalier takes a lot of pride in their Simax formula, so I don't see them changing in that drastically and not saying anything. If it has the blue glow, you don't need to wait until dark. it is very apparent. I had some glowing pretty brightly in my shop while lit up the other day, mid afternoon. Like ISA said, the cross section will also tell you. If it looks more green, it's the old stuff. Blue, it's new. Wish I could help you out more. Would be a lot easier for me if I could watch what you are doing. I'll try and think of anything I can based on the info you gave though!

Thanks alot guys! gonna go back to experimenting. Its weird because I can trap blues on the surface if I lay lines down or something but if I implode dots its gone.
    instagram - @tomw4

Sounds like you're getting it to hot, and burning out the silver.

Good old gtt.............

Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Sounds like you're getting it to hot, and burning out the silver.

Good old gtt.............
    gonna try working farther out in the flame
    instagram - @tomw4

I keep my lynx flame oxidizing and small, take my time compressing dots over silver. Avoid hitting the fume with a flame and get nice blue Perle's.
    Some gold and I gets some greens and yellows, purples.

Im a noob but having fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glass91716.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	86734