The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New to the forum ...

Default New to the forum ...

Hello everyone my name is Bre Donato you can find me on Facebook or Instagram (xsprchrgdbre). I am a musician / photographer / videographer who is currently working two jobs two support my dream and build my glass studio.

I've been fascinated by glass since a young age and after a little over two years of research stalking the forums here and elsewhere on the interwebs I have decided to take the plunge.

I'm currently waiting for my torch from GTT and plan on ordering a Skutt Scarab from ABR in January. If my sports cars have taught me anything is buy gear you can grow into ...

Anyways I just wanted to get my first official post on here and thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this forum and the kindness I have experienced with members of the community so far. I'll post photos of my work space as it progresses!

Here's a photo of my soon to be work space ... I have dedicated half of my porch to the cause which gives me about 11'x12'. Ignore the car bumper, temporarily stashing that there. I plan to wall up the window on the wall (right side) and hardie backer that wall so my work bench can go there. Obviously not a great photo but there will be more to come as I move along with construction. (And yes all the wood paneling is going to go! Either replacing with hardie backer or metal paneling )

Default Re: New to the forum ...

Hey welcome here! I hung out for a while before posting too. It feels good to finally be at the torch. Anything I can help ya out with I'd be glad to, as I'm sure others will to.
    Last edited by East Bay Ray; 11-20-2016 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Missing word

Welcome! It looks like youll have a nice little work space. What's your plan for ventilation? I'm just curious because you said you are putting your bench along the right side. Is the window on the right one that leads into your house?

@ East Bay Ray - thanks very much! I've gotten nothing but good vibes and warm welcomes from everyone I've interacted with so far.

@JayBoogie - yes you are right the window on the right leads into my house. First order of business for me after clearing out this space is taking out that window and walling it up. It's 30+ years old and leaks so I'm just going to get rid of it. As far as ventilation I read Mike Aurelius' thread and am working out my calculations. My exhaust will go out the window straight ahead / right side. My fresh air intake will be coming from about 20' away on the other side of the porch. I thought it would be best to keep the fresh air intake as far away from the exhaust air as possible. I don't know everything obviously as I am new to this so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Last edited by Xsprchrgdbre; 11-25-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Looks like a very nice space.

Making a rough drawing on graph paper will give you an idea or where you will want you kiln, lighting,ventilation and possible power for oxygen concentrators.
    (2) 20 amp 120v circuits is a minimum, 3 is better.

The Skutt Scarab is 240v, heats faster,draws less amps and last longer. A very nice choice. at 460 pounds you are not going to be moving it around much.

I hope it all works out for you, good luck.

@snoopdog6502 - thanks!

That's a great idea. I have more or less envisioned it in my head but haven't sketched it out on paper.

I am fortunate to have 4 x 20a 120v outlets already there. I will have to run a dedicated 30a 240v line for the Scarab tho. No big deal as I am handy as hell.

I have posted in a couple threads on here trying to get the outer dimensions of the Scarab and am waiting for a response before I can build a stand for it. I'll put it on industrial caster wheels with locks of course so I can move it if need be ... though hopefully only occasionally to clean the floor

Default New to the forum ...

Came home from my second job this evening to find a surprise box from my parents ... inside were my first books!
    I'm so thankful

Forgot to post when I got my torch! It was a super exciting day. My first piece of equipment

I'll try not to forget to post some construction photos as soon as life calms down and I'm able to get to it.

torch time!

Ready to rock! Check out the wyzguy podcast if you haven't yet. Lots of good info about getting set up on there.

You picked a real nice torch, it will handle the big work no problem but the center will get tiny and tight for the smallest details.

You will not be disappointed.

Trying to decide between a homefill set up with two k tanks and a low pressure set up with a decent holding tank. The low pressure set up seems like more $$$, time and space but I am wondering if it'd be worth it? It'll pretty much just be me, the Mirage, and a smith little torch. any comments or recommendations?

The 2 K tank homefil is what I started with. After 2 homefils died I was able to hook up to an oil-less compressor to my whip and run off a low pressure system.

When homefils work they are very nice, easy to set up, kind of slow so they need to run long hours unattended. That is slightly spooky when they fail and nobody is around.
    I was home when mine started screeching and clunking. Your nicer, cleaner environment then the typical garage you would probably enjoy a longer life out of one.

The high volume low pressure setups are more involved but you dont have any machines running all day or night to monitor. You start your kiln to warm up, start you concentrators to warm up, start the compressor with no stored oxygen and you can be running in 5 minutes because it fills much faster 10 to 15 times faster then a homefil.

Simply running the Lynx center fire directly from an oxygen concentrator and the outer fire on tanked is pretty economical before investing in a system.

Forgot to post on here lately ... I've acquired a few things. First being my protective glasses. I'm more than happy with the fit.

I've also started collecting parts to build my oxygen system. I've managed to snag two concentrators at a great price. I only plan to use one of them for my centerfire to start. As I get some more time on the torch and collect all the necessary parts I will finish building the system

Piece by piece!

We removed the window and covered the newly built section of wall with hardie backer. It truly wasn't as difficult as expected. That is where my bench will go.

Gast compressor is coming this week! I have all my oxy cons and found a tank which I just need to clean out Slowly but surely the studio is starting to come together!

Your studio is looking nice.