The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Boro Crucible 101

Default Boro Crucible 101

A buddy is investing in a Darby Dipper and wants my assistance with rod and tube pulls. Trying to search for the basics on running a boro crucible and havent had much luck. Any direction, tips or ticks are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Boro Crucible 101

I was reading up on it myself a while back. Seems like the Darby Dipper 120V is pretty under powered to melt boro like you would want.
    Seems like you better bring a lawn chair and a sleeping bag or a whole hog to roast while you wait.

I was kiln shopping is what triggered my search here an it seems the Darby Dipper is a disappointment. Its a lot to ask of 120v.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...t=Darby+Dipper

I was looking at an L & L kiln that will do 2,400F for a pottery kiln but decided to build a gas fired pottery kiln for clay work for a whole lot cheaper.

Ya I was kinda worried about that... Thanks for the heads up snoop!

I hope you give it a try though and see how much it will do.

The other day for fun I slumped some boro for fun, I did not see it even start moving till over 1,500 so i soaked it at 1,600 for 30 minutes. I made some flat pipes.

I don't see many people using this as a resource, this guy is a little better known in the soft glass world: http://www.theglassfoundry.com/instructionalvideos.html

Quote Originally Posted by jkube View Post
    I don't see many people using this as a resource, this guy is a little better known in the soft glass world: http://www.theglassfoundry.com/instructionalvideos.html
    thanks Jkube!

Boro crucible 101 dont get a darby dipper. For not all that much more money you can get a much better skutt.

Check out the Glass Hive. I was at there place checking out there new boro furnaces and they look awesome. I have never used there boro furnaces but i have used there kilns and a soft glass furnace and i can say they are worth every penny. and there service rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    Check out the Glass Hive. I was at there place checking out there new boro furnaces and they look awesome. I have never used there boro furnaces but i have used there kilns and a soft glass furnace and i can say they are worth every penny. and there service rocks.
    ya ive heard good things about Glass Hive as well

Whatever you do, make sure to get a kiln that was designed where elements surround the crucible pots. Not mentioning names, but some of the multi pot furnaces DO NOT (This creates cold spots and works the elements harder, then, in turn wears out elements quicker).

^^^ listen to whatever this man says. Feel good knows his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Feel Good Glass View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure to get a kiln that was designed where elements surround the crucible pots. Not mentioning names, but some of the multi pot furnaces DO NOT (This creates cold spots and works the elements harder, then, in turn wears out elements quicker).

planned obsolescence

Quote Originally Posted by Feel Good Glass View Post
    Thanks Feel Good!