The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: glass alchemy changes

Default Re: glass alchemy changes

Clearly the distributor view point is that we have literally spent millions with a company over the last 17 or so years. Then all the stuff that actually drives sales and profit (hype colors) is taken away from us, and we are left with the "classic line" it makes you feel a bit screwed over. The classic line is great and all, but we aren't ever stocked in an ample way with those colors either. It's a classic bite the hand that feeds you situation, and when your the one who gets bit in that situation, it stings. We have heard nothing but upset people when calling about GA colors. It's been going on for a couple years really. Every time someone orders GA that isn't in stock (which is most things, not just hype) our job here at ABR is to find a suitable substitution for that color. Someone orders Twilight, we are out, we offer Berry Gumboldt. Customer buys it, learns to love that color, then reorders it in the future instead of Twilight. We don't want to lose a sale just because a color we ordered 6 months to a year ago isn't in stock yet, so we sub NS, TAG, Momka, whatever line has a suitable replacement.

So, as distributors drop the line, people will be weened off the GA color over time in my opinion. Distributors are going to try even harder to sub customers out for other lines if they are feeling hosed as well. So, we will see how it plays out. I feel the manufacturers who support the long standing network of distributors will win out in the long run.

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery

Totally agree with Dave.. It has been a couple of years that we haven't been able to get a complete
    order and often it was half. (So she says you don't buy enough) How can you when they run the company like this.
    so the shelves of GA at Trev's Glass are pretty empty. Loved the way the parents ran the company..
    Jason Lee put something up on facebook a week or so ago it reached over 500 responses. Was amazing to me
    to see how many people were upset at them. That is a lot of lost business.
    SUNRAY
    The Shopkeeper

I dont know Dave. I love good color, and have tried most peoples. I love Glass Alchemy Eclipse, and pretty much all their crayons are easier to work than most others. I prefer to stock their crayon colors if I can. I have red from Northstar that is probably 6 years old sitting at the bottom of a red section i'd rather not use. The cad colors red orange and yellow seem less boily. GA may be making a bad marketing decision, but I do think they make a lot of great color.
    Last edited by hashmasta-kut; 03-04-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Kind of like when abr started selling glasstique's on ebay, and screwing Glass alchemy on what was a great test program for artists?
    Peace
    Nate

Within A Sphere

FYI The Neocad orange and red are on their website as of this post

as well as occasional quality serum

im sure it will sell out fast so if your looking to try these colors get them before they go

What is the Glass Alchemy Makers Alliance?

The Glass Alchemy Makers Alliance (GAMA) is the top tier of the Glass Alchemy Rewards Program. When you join the Program you automatically become an Alchemy Insider and begin earning points towards GAMA membership. Once you accumulate the required number of points, you can redeem them for a 12 month Glass Alchemy Makers Alliance membership. The Makers Alliance is where the magic happens: early access to Small Batch colors and additional discounts on color.

FROM THEIR WEBSITE https://glassalchemy.com/pages/glass-alchemy-rewards

it's the fuckboi's hype club.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    it's the fuckboi's hype club.
    im dead... lmao

seriously tho. it is potentially the most narcissistic creation since facebook. I really do think its great that the color companies take into account peoples views on their color... then again they would just be shitty business people if they didnt. And if these artists go out of their way to use and figure out things then props to them, but i don't want to hear about it. i know these guys exist and are amazing, many give me inspiration all the time. i don't need GA to create a hall of fame so we can all collectively go ...... oh wowowowowowowowow.....

i do have to say, i ordered a few lbs of frit and oc quality rods, and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the o/c (i know 2015's o/c sale was almost complete shit...based on what i rec'd and that of a few others) and the discount. granted, i saved a whole $30 over full retail, but still that was nice.
    i do intend to keep buying o/c rods, and if at some point i can get my mitts on some of the hype colors, i'll try them.

it took me a couple years to bother trying illuminati (i know it's a NS product, but this is a "for instance")...and now that i have, all other uv colors seem to fall short.

I've certainly seen a lot more negativity towards GA than positivity during this whole ordeal. I think they have some good ideas but it wasn't handled very well - especially for this particular customer base (glassblowing community).

I don't see what the GAMA brings to the table for me, as a glassblower. What I understand is that there are a group of privileged glassblowers who get free access to all the best deals they have to offer. I wouldn't even be surprised if they get given free glass to make pieces with. The publicity for GA is more than worth it I'm sure. I try not to feel jealous because there is truly no point (and I don't deserve free stuff), but honestly what other feeling are they trying to invoke?

For me getting all my glass in one place is really important because I'm in Canada, and shipping from the US can be extremely expensive. It almost always costs more than $100 USD to get a box of glass shipped to me, whether it is 5, 10 or 20 lbs. It changes how I need to maintain my inventory - it is in my best interest to stockpile large quantities rather than buying random pounds here and there.

Anyway what they do is up to them, I'm just looking forward to when the cad scare is long behind us and the market is flooded with all the colours we can't get our hands on right now.

Its like the trump presidency, i hate it, but im not going to renounce my U.S. citizenship and move overseas because i love this country; just not the actions and choices of the government.

I dont agree with or like GA's changes but i will continue to use their color because i really like their color and it works well, and is high quality most of the time*.
    "*Except for the first quality bundle of eclipse im using right now has so much air in it is kinda insane for firsts"

I just want to try some of these "hype" colors and that is why i made that post yesterday because i figured there are others like me wanted to do the same.

If it turns out the Neo cads are shit, and the OC serum i ordered is garbage then i wont need to get anymore, but with the limited availability and high demand i just want a chance to get these colors and try them.

Over the next year all the hype for the older hype colors will die down as more new hype shit comes out, so the older colors should become more available, also if your like me and only use certain colors at certain times a few pounds will last years, im still using ROY, from 2014-15. So once the big buyers stock up, the smaller people such as myself will be able to attain these colors easier

At the vary least they should eat the shipping costs, when im paying 65 bucks a pound and gotta spend 5k to get a discount, then again if you know what your doing its easy to make a profit at that price, the color i dont understand how people use is the 150-200 plus triple layered tubes and whatnot.
    Last edited by Dave Umbs; 03-23-2017 at 08:16 AM.

What I understand is that there are a group of privileged glassblowers who get free access to all the best deals they have to offer. I wouldn't even be surprised if they get given free glass to make pieces with
    i've been told by more than a few people that the "big dogs" do in fact get materials for free. that they can cherry pick, and what we get as 1st quality is actually closer to odds.
    idk how true that is, but again i've heard it in more than one place.

Chartruese and olive crayon FTW, but I dont really give a shi about their other colors.
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

unless I get those colors second hand, I may never have them again
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

I don't really support GA. Those medium is for everyone, if you are going to hand pick who gets the shit then good start a private club. Northstar is my go to. Their philosophy and the way they treat the community as a whole is leaps and bounds ahead of GA. But seriously all this aside this is a medium like anything else. Get what you need for your work and that's it

I need some cherrywood strike 70 grade frit.
    Im offering free 1 hour lampworking lessons in the Alki and west Seattle area.

I dont care what they do, or how they sell their color. Just make sure that all the colors are still available.
    Im offering free 1 hour lampworking lessons in the Alki and west Seattle area.