The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Affordable effective blacklight

Default Affordable effective blacklight

Just got a 75 watt blacklight and it barely lights up any of my uv colors. Colors are from best to worse in flourescing orange crush, illuminati, slyme, lucy, electric flamingo (from around 2005). Maybe a blacklight tube would work better.

Default Re: Affordable effective blacklight

the colors arent black light reactive. they are UV reactive... which makes up a part of the black light spectrum.

go for UV light / like a pet stain flashlight... but it has been brought up here that UV is bad for your eyes and will give you cataracts or something... i dont remember the specifics.

Cool thanks didn't know there was a difference. I won't need the light that often but will be careful not to look at it directly. Does this make UV glass not as colectable because it is bad to view under uv light?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Master View Post
    Cool thanks didn't know there was a difference. I won't need the light that often but will be careful not to look at it directly. Does this make UV glass not as colectable because it is bad to view under uv light?
    depends on whom you ask.... also i don't think that is wildly known / distributed knowledge. It was posted by one of the members here.

Personally from a collector standpoint i think CFL is going to blow UV out of the water. UV will always be amazing stuff, as you have noticed... you gotta have the light to see it.

CFL is more likely to shift colors in day to day use.

my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Master View Post
    Just got a 75 watt blacklight and it barely lights up any of my uv colors. Colors are from best to worse in flourescing orange crush, illuminati, slyme, lucy, electric flamingo (from around 2005). Maybe a blacklight tube would work better.
    You need to check the wavelength.

Different UV colors respond differently, but in general, you will get a stronger reaction from a blacklight with a lower wavelength. A 365 nanometer is likely to make stuff glow brighter than a 395NM blacklight, and some stuff won't even react at all without the stronger effect.

I like this one myself:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty sure the 51 Led scorpio UV light i just got is 395NM, and it lights all the colors up like fucking crazy. too bright to photograph easily. does Lucy really well. pretty sure I read Lucy prefers 395 NM.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scorpio-Premi...4AAOSwt5hYdxyD
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

There are definitely some colors that require the 365nm to light up. Also, some of the UV colors will glow different shades in the different wavelengths. It's pretty neat stuff really. Certain wavelengths excite certain "ingredients" in the color. The Boro Batch Space Grass is a great example. It glows an awesome green but only in the 365nm. Most of the regularly used flashlights don't do a thing to it.

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery