The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want to make glass torch. Valve sourcing?

Default Want to make glass torch. Valve sourcing?

Wanted to make a glass torch. Not sure where to get valves.just for personal use.not for sale to public

Default Re: Want to make glass torch. Valve sourcing?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Master View Post
    Wanted to make a glass torch. Not sure where to get valves.just for personal use.not for sale to public
    As someone who made their own torch and used it until I could buy a real one(pictures are on this forum somewhere), let me chime in here.

It's almost certainly not going to be worth doing. By the time you buy the parts, put it together, see your design doesn't work the way you thought it would and buy another new part or two to fix it, and so on, it's all but impossible to actually get a functional torch for any real savings over buying a cheaper used torch, and that's not even factoring in your time working on it, or the potential danger of screwing up and blowing yourself up or lighting your house on fire.

If you got a great deal on valves (and they aren't crap valves, good luck), everything works exactly according to your initial design(and actually creates a good flame for glassworking, that's far from guaranteed), AND you value your own time at 0$ an hour, you might be able to save 30% or so over the cost of buying a decent used torch.

Make your kiln, make your kiln controller, make most of your tools, but you are doing yourself no favors trying to build your torch.

i didnt get the impression he was talking about a glassworking torch, just a butane torch, but i could be wrong.
    i thought he was looking for the valves needed to mount into the glass.

I thought bates style...
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Yeah not for glassblowing. But for heating a nail. I have some valves from a carlisle. But they were replaced for a reason. To much play or not seating I can't remember. Running a mirage right now

Maybe he just wants to do it for the sake of doing it. Have fun, just don't blow yourself up.

FWIW, the quartz folks occasionally use glass torches.

If you're looking to make a butane torch like this one, unless you have some mad skillz, maybe reconsider until you hit jedi status.

Dig a little bit in the forum threads, there've been some threads on this in the past along with a rather wise warning to tread lightly on this one since you're potentially making something that can easily blow up if it malfunctions.

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Quote Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
    Maybe he just wants to do it for the sake of doing it. Have fun, just don't blow yourself up.

FWIW, the quartz folks occasionally use glass torches.

If you're looking to make a butane torch like this one, unless you have some mad skillz, maybe reconsider until you hit jedi status.

Dig a little bit in the forum threads, there've been some threads on this in the past along with a rather wise warning to tread lightly on this one since you're potentially making something that can easily blow up if it malfunctions.

Sweet. I've been trying to make shit blow up for a really long time
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Yeah. definitely have to respect glass fuel and fire.

I got a whole set up..all the prep for a Bates torch.Paid 120 $ I could do same price.I have a 4 sale thread with pictures on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Userton View Post
    As someone who made their own torch and used it until I could buy a real one(pictures are on this forum somewhere), let me chime in here.

It's almost certainly not going to be worth doing. By the time you buy the parts, put it together, see your design doesn't work the way you thought it would and buy another new part or two to fix it, and so on, it's all but impossible to actually get a functional torch for any real savings over buying a cheaper used torch, and that's not even factoring in your time working on it, or the potential danger of screwing up and blowing yourself up or lighting your house on fire.

If you got a great deal on valves (and they aren't crap valves, good luck), everything works exactly according to your initial design(and actually creates a good flame for glassworking, that's far from guaranteed), AND you value your own time at 0$ an hour, you might be able to save 30% or so over the cost of buying a decent used torch.

Make your kiln, make your kiln controller, make most of your tools, but you are doing yourself no favors trying to build your torch.
    Funny you say that, I went and picked up extra parts when I went to get fittings for my air injection dohicky, some B to NPT fittings and a few extra pieces.
    Going to make my next craptastic ghettorific hunka stuff.

Most hand torches are pretty much junk, I want to start with making one I like.

The people in Belgium are making 4 stage hand torches, 5 and 6 stage bench burner selections.
    All premix, premix makes a torch super simple to machine and build.

Some pretty nice looking stuff. You probably have seen them before.
    https://www.miema.com/burners

This is the 13 jet hand torch with 4 selections. $843 + tax and shipping.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meimahandtorch1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	89731

Thanks for info. I will keep the bates torch prep kit in mind LRG. Got to sell some glass first.

so ive ordered a few needle valves. they all sucked. i bought the valve from harbor freight you recommended, its just a glorified ball valve. what we need is a needle valve that specifies it has a regulating tip and has fine adjustyment; 15 turns. plenty of the major mfg specify this but avg price is 20$. im sure there has to be some cheapo valve that is specd the way we need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-brass-n...QAAOSwZetXO1kG I put these on that sargent or whatever and they were really good for the short time I had the torch, and the buyer never complained
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

I've made a few with those ebay valves, even built a cc burner copy from scratch with hypo tubing (didn't work well at all).

You want a 1-10 to 1-20 ratio needle valve.

The one the poster above me recommended are exactly the ones I had the best luck with.

A hand torch or cradle burner is pretty easy to bolt together. My favorite DIY is a 3 tip (#5) cradle burner, I used stainless brake lines , threaded them, and left them long enough to bend for angles.

Good luck, be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by nicko0 View Post
    so ive ordered a few needle valves. they all sucked. i bought the valve from harbor freight you recommended, its just a glorified ball valve. what we need is a needle valve that specifies it has a regulating tip and has fine adjustyment; 15 turns. plenty of the major mfg specify this but avg price is 20$. im sure there has to be some cheapo valve that is specd the way we need.
    Exactly this♤♤♤

15 turns, or 10 or 20, nothing smaller or its basically on and off.

I found some like smith hand torches and GTT use (shape same, about 15 turns), they looked the same, all stainless, but the knob's kept falling off and we're way too loose for our application. I think they were 8$ from china.

Exactly this♤♤♤

I found some like smith hand torches and GTT use (shape same, about 15 turns), they looked the same, all stainless, but the knob's kept falling off and we're way too loose for our application. I think they were 8$ from china.

Also search for mass control valves.

Exactly this♤♤♤

Also search for mass control valves.

These are perfect, from directmaterial.com

All different male female configurations, 15 turns, good smooth tightness, $8. I make footpedals, and tried them for bypass, now I use Matheson but they are $50+

https://www.directmaterial.com/brass...0-psi-wog.html

.edit, that's the wrong flow chart,but that's what you want, a nice parabolic curve for tight adjustment, then a big bushy anealing flame with a quick thumb spin.

If you use 1/8" inlets it will mess with your pressure, could be good,could give you sputtering uselessness.

I would invest in the $40 tap n die set from harbor freighy, then you can make your own manifolds, extensions and such.
    .this would be the dreamy valve.

15 turns, butter smooth, amazing curve chart but..... $244 ...so...no.

https://store.mathesongas.com/4170-s...lves-brass-ss/

If you buy 10 or more of the series 100 they cost less.
    https://store.mathesongas.com/100-se...rass-ss-monel/

If you want to up grade a Sargent or knight, or even a cc, this is the valve to try. Butter. But $75 is a lot, sometimes you can find them on ebay cheap tho.
    Last edited by AdamCotter; 10-29-2017 at 10:49 AM.

You would probably be best off buying a used Nortel midrange, or minor burner (nit major) if you want surface mix, I've only had success with using premix tips personally. My surface mix jobs technicaly "worked". But...meh.