The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 126

Thread: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,061
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    It's easy enough to add a resistor in line to slow it down in the range you want. We are talking about a part that costs less then a dollar.
    We tried a step down motor on a project lathe we were working on, and it would skip a beat causing uneven rotation. There's an easier way?
    Without love in the dream
    It will never come true

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Fullerton California
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    As I explained earlier in my thread we are Seam lathe manufacturers and on this we provide guaranteed quality product.

    Speed control varies from company to company and its a matter of perspective of the buyers to look for the speed they want or require for their work, they modify it or go for a speed control that will satisfy their requirement.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Gainesville FL
    Posts
    3,432
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H1JACK3R View Post
    We tried a step down motor on a project lathe we were working on, and it would skip a beat causing uneven rotation. There's an easier way?
    Do you mean a step down transformer? That tells me you are trying to limit the ac input. Your dc controller won't like that and doesn't surprise me that it would be skipping.

    I would try to add a 2 ohm resistor after the controller before the motor. This will keep your voltage the same and reduce the current by half. So if low was 48 it will be 24 after the resistor is added. Make sure it's rated for the wattage.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Quote Originally Posted by mahmood7 View Post
    As I explained earlier in my thread we are Seam lathe manufacturers and on this we provide guaranteed quality product.

    Speed control varies from company to company and its a matter of perspective of the buyers to look for the speed they want or require for their work, they modify it or go for a speed control that will satisfy their requirement.
    No doubt about that. I just dont know about lathe work and am considering a purchase.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    38,832
    Rep Power
    215

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Is this something that might become an option straight from SEAM in the future? I know I will need to be able to stop and slow spin my lathe when I eventually get one.
    ~Misha

  6. #106

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    I was just thinking the same thing ^ ...I'm familiar enough w electronics to have had the same idea for making a (relatively...for some ppl, others not so much I would guess) simple alteration using a resistor like Somewhere mentioned above, and my buddy explained to me how we could increase belt length to drop the rpm's also so I understand it can be corrected. I guess what I am thinking is that it would be a great improvement if a lower speed motor was just mounted stock...after all, many of your customers are...these same 'pipe-makers' also work w/ 'scientific' techniques. If not making apparatus outright! One in the same my friend. The ability to easily and consistently slow down or maintain low rpm's is incredibly important. I would have a slight concern about always running the motor on the extreme low end of it's capabilities too, I am just guessing here but couldn't that cause some issues down the road? I mean lets be honest, no one is ever gonna even come close to running this machine at a fraction of the 1750rpm capability....is a alternative motor that can actually handle the low-end rpm's significantly more expensive or what?? It seems like you guys have put a lot of hard work & energy into this product, and it may seem inconsequential to the engineers/machinists but a factory solution would be optimal IMHO, you would DEF sell even more of them. Shit...idk, maybe mount the box far enough away to allow for increased belt length or alter the belt tracking in the current set up to lengthen it or even just add that little resistor in the box build in house so your customers don't have to play with it themselves. idk just my thoughts I salute everyone trying to make lathes more affordable to us folks who are still on our come up.
    Stay well, flame on

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Quote Originally Posted by atribeofsound View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing ^ ...I'm familiar enough w electronics to have had the same idea for making a (relatively...for some ppl, others not so much I would guess) simple alteration using a resistor like Somewhere mentioned above, and my buddy explained to me how we could increase belt length to drop the rpm's also so I understand it can be corrected. I guess what I am thinking is that it would be a great improvement if a lower speed motor was just mounted stock...after all, many of your customers are...these same 'pipe-makers' also work w/ 'scientific' techniques. If not making apparatus outright! One in the same my friend. The ability to easily and consistently slow down or maintain low rpm's is incredibly important. I would have a slight concern about always running the motor on the extreme low end of it's capabilities too, I am just guessing here but couldn't that cause some issues down the road? I mean lets be honest, no one is ever gonna even come close to running this machine at a fraction of the 1750rpm capability....is a alternative motor that can actually handle the low-end rpm's significantly more expensive or what?? It seems like you guys have put a lot of hard work & energy into this product, and it may seem inconsequential to the engineers/machinists but a factory solution would be optimal IMHO, you would DEF sell even more of them. Shit...idk, maybe mount the box far enough away to allow for increased belt length or alter the belt tracking in the current set up to lengthen it or even just add that little resistor in the box build in house so your customers don't have to play with it themselves. idk just my thoughts I salute everyone trying to make lathes more affordable to us folks who are still on our come up.
    Stay well, flame on

    Well said. At this point i wont be buying a Seam lathe without this being addressed. Oh well. a 11k american lathe never made sense for me. These were almost cheap enough i could justify it.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mccomb MS
    Posts
    2,034
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    there are other cheap import options that absolutely have speed control, do these really not have that?? seems weird I would check and make sure they dont
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

    Formerly known as Skuzz

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Quote Originally Posted by Swim View Post
    there are other cheap import options that absolutely have speed control, do these really not have that?? seems weird I would check and make sure they dont
    The manufacturer confirmed the speed on the previous page. thats all im going off of.

    totally hear you on the other options. i just really like everything else about this company. the product seems quality from what ive heard and they are clearly ridiculously responsive and helpful.... a huge plus.

  10. #110

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    They do have speed control but you can only take the rpm's down to 48 if I remember right. The problem lies with the size of the motor they use, I'm sure it's a great motor and all but it just can't spin as slow as necessary for certain tasks. Def a nice looking lathe otherwise and it sounds like there is good customer service/troubleshooting too which is almost unheard of for an import lathe.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mccomb MS
    Posts
    2,034
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    that number still makes no sense
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

    Formerly known as Skuzz

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    38,832
    Rep Power
    215

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Hey guys I know this is confusing but remember this is a sales thread, and discussion shouldn't take place here unless it's questions directed at the vendor from an interested buyer. If you aren't interested in buying one of these machines, you're welcome to start a discussion thread in the lathe subforum. Thanks for helping keep sales threads clear of confusion.
    ~Misha

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Fullerton California
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Hi
    With all the request, comments and requirements put up on my site [thread] and actually also from my scientific lab blowers who bought my Seam lathes ,I decided to go to India and my facility. I went to the speed control company and sat with their engineers nd come up with a solution and a device was made which reduced the speed to 15 rpm if required but not required, scientific community s requirement is 30 rpm and my present speed control does 34 without a click.
    We have only one 50 mm bore size left and 2, 85 mm floor model left.
    for 2017.
    Have a Merry and a lovely Christmas


    SEAM

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    38,832
    Rep Power
    215

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    That is great news.
    ~Misha

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Quote Originally Posted by mahmood7 View Post
    Hi
    With all the request, comments and requirements put up on my site [thread] and actually also from my scientific lab blowers who bought my Seam lathes ,I decided to go to India and my facility. I went to the speed control company and sat with their engineers nd come up with a solution and a device was made which reduced the speed to 15 rpm if required but not required, scientific community s requirement is 30 rpm and my present speed control does 34 without a click.
    We have only one 50 mm bore size left and 2, 85 mm floor model left.
    for 2017.
    Have a Merry and a lovely Christmas


    SEAM
    awesome! thanks for taking the time. sounds like this will be a game changer! im still struggling with the purchase but ill be in touch if i can convince myself to do it!

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    by the way... where in india is your facility? Of course India is a massive country but we have an office in Delhi and i likely will visit this year. would be cool to meet if you are around / close.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Fullerton California
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Hi
    Sorry we [ SEAM ] are located in High Tech city of Hyderabad which is 1100 miles south of Delhi in the state of Telangana.

    We will be introducing the double chuck Seam lathe which is 85 mm bore size and can make double glass in glass with these lathes in this month as well as specifications.

    Ali
    Seam

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Very cool Ali. I will keep that in kind depending on where my customer visit takes me.

    Cheers. Jack

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    From the DIRT!
    Posts
    5,498
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    Nice and hey if the deal on his lathe is that good just throw a nice motor and controller on it one it gets here .

    Kinda like everyone does with beth Lathe's .

    Those motors and controllers everyone buys work great you can slow to nothing and stop and spin by hand .

    In fact I bet this cat would accommodate . He sounds nice .
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Osos
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes

    I just read your his thread and thought I would put in my 2 cents. And let me say from the get go I donít know shit about working on a lathe. I met Ali at his place and got a lathe last fall. I donít use it that much but, I like to use it when I can. The late is quite, like really quiet. And as far as the speed needing to be below 35rpm I donít know why you would need to go any slower than that.<ó-again I donít know shit about the subject. Please elaborate.
    Anywho I called Ali to try and describe what I thought was an issue. But like I said....
    Without hesitation he drove up to my place 250 miles each way. Rectified the situation and drove back.
    Thatís why Iím talking about. Customer satisfaction. Ali knows exactly what he is selling and is a super nice guy. If I had skills Iím certain I would be able to make exactly what I wanted to with this machine. You can definitely can move the chucks when the machine is stopped. And it spins evenly. I have no complaints. Also I am very impressed with his customer service.
    Thatís my 2 cents
    Would someone please elaborate on why you would need it to go any slower than 35rpm. Iím curious. Just as a wanting to learn aspect.
    ~Todd
    @tlewisglass

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: Seam Glass Blowing Lathes
    By mahmood7 in forum Member's Glassifieds
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-28-2017, 01:36 PM
  2. Tool & Equipment Review: New glass lathes from SEM INDUSTRIES a.k.a. American Lathes!!!
    By Innovativeglass in forum Review and Feedback
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
  3. Glass blowing lathes For Sale
    By Collin in forum Member's Glassifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Featured Member's Spotlight!
Pogo Blackfire Glassworks Wesley Fleming Whipkey Glass Bullet Proof Glass No Coast Glass
Donate to our forum!