The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed glass

Default 3D Printed glass

Interesting article on 3d printing glass from MIT.

http://www.technologyreview.com/s/54...c4e5-153840021

Default Re: 3D Printed glass

Totally cool! Thanks for sharing

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use an extruder that feeds 3mm rod into the flame of something like a National SOX-1(stainless because of the heat requirements). You might have to rotate the bed itself to keep the glass magazine from getting unwieldy, but that's not unreasonable for 3+ axis machines anyway.
    Last edited by Kandisys; 04-30-2017 at 07:23 AM.

*eBay
    Don't know how to edit my post

I think you're stretching the definition of "3D-printing"... that looks like loop stitch / spun glass.... something done by hand, not machines...if it's a machine, I wanna see it in action
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

i've seen the video on Facebook, this glass was in fact extruded from a 3d printer modified for glass.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

this isn't the exact same video i saw, but close:
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...03d%20printing
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Thats pretty damn cool though...
    “Arguing that you don’t care about privacy because you have nothing to hide is like arguing that you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

3D printed glass is absolutely a thing... I'm not disputing that.

What I'm saying is that THIS: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhxSvx8.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	90171 is not 3D printed, but loop stitched glass... I stay pretty up to date on 3D printing technology, it's my brothers main business, and I haven't seen a free air printer that can print in glass with no support to do that, and I don't see any layering artifacts.... so I think this is just someone trying to cash in on buzzwords... but I'd love to be wrong, and see the printer that made that particular object!
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Maybe it's like calling Paramore "the human lathe". Someone decided to call themselves "a 3d printer"
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

ksglass Lurker

Very recently someone has figured out how to use regular 3d printers to print glass. I believe they use a frit type powder then just heat up the print head. I've kept somewhat up to date on 3d printer glass for a while now. What I believe the most recent advancements will bring to this industry are:
    1. We will be able to order glass (Or print it ourselves) in more exact sizes. Like pre-gathered tubes or some type of scientific work inserted into the tube of a bowl.
    2. A glass 'artists' time will become more valuable because more items will be printed out of glass. Example: 3d printed glass light switches for a new home to match their cabinet handles, freezer and fridge handles that also match their suspended L.E.D. interior home lights.
    3. Those of us who lack the artistic ability to do more than create an original piece of art might have a harder time competing with a machine than Chinese glass...

Let me also say this. I'm interested in making fumed glass art. The fuming on a pipe is what introduced me to fuming. I believe there are so many pieces of plastic in the world that should be replaced by glass. And would be if it were available. Like the radio knob for a stereo in a home or a car, a light switch panel in a home, door knobs (like back in the old days when shit was hand made). So I'm not predicting an end to anyones job but I think most everyone will see some major benefits and a few of us may face more stiff competition..

Quote Originally Posted by ksglass
    Very recently someone has figured out how to use regular 3d printers to print glass. I believe they use a frit type powder then just heat up the print head. I've kept somewhat up to date on 3d printer glass for a while now. What I believe the most recent advancements will bring to this industry are:
    There have been various powder printers printing glass for over a decade. Zcorp was doing it last time I went to Siggraph over 15 years ago. The glass powder is sintered in a kiln after printing - it's basically Patte Devere (sp?) with a 3d printer. I could totally see the process being updated to include in-situ heating of frits, but not in a "regular" printer with plastic partd, as you'd still need the entire system to be held at or near annealing temps...

1. We will be able to order glass (Or print it ourselves) in more exact sizes. Like pre-gathered tubes or some type of scientific work inserted into the tube of a bowl.
    All the 3d printed glass I've seen has several major limitations so far, and the big one is tolerance. Glass doesn't flow like ABS or PLA plastics, so you're forced to have pretty think layer height millimeters and opposed to microns (thousands of an inch). There's also opacity and fusion/lamination issues... you're not going to 3d print a glass tube that's intended to be reworked hot that's optically or mechanically superior to the Danner process - not any time soon. Trained scientific glass blowers can form ready made cheap tubing into apparatus with tolerances in the 1/000th of an inch range already, a 3d printer with glass can't hit those tolerances right now.

2. A glass 'artists' time will become more valuable because more items will be printed out of glass. Example: 3d printed glass light switches for a new home to match their cabinet handles, freezer and fridge handles that also match their suspended L.E.D. interior home lights.
    Not sure what you're saying here. The value society places on artists is always in flux. It's true some of that flux is influenced by technology, but it's much more complex. 3D printing technology is almost 60 years old, I've been following 3D printing for about 20 years, every time someone or some group "discovers" it they think it's going to radically and fundamentally change the world in the next 2-3 years.... it's not. It already has. What will change will be slow and steady. 3D printing will not put Chinese plastic manufacturers out of business, etc...

3. Those of us who lack the artistic ability to do more than create an original piece of art might have a harder time competing with a machine than Chinese glass...
    Again, I don't see 3D printed glass anything being an economical alternative to hand made glassware any time soon. I could be wrong, but even then, labor will adjust to compete... if you lack artistic / creative ability now, that won't make you any more or less viable if/when 3d printing technology comes around full force - if you can't hang, you can't hang.

Let me also say this. I'm interested in making fumed glass art. The fuming on a pipe is what introduced me to fuming. I believe there are so many pieces of plastic in the world that should be replaced by glass. And would be if it were available. Like the radio knob for a stereo in a home or a car, a light switch panel in a home, door knobs (like back in the old days when shit was hand made).
    There's reasons glass knobs, door handles, and other common every day consumer and manufactured goods aren't commonly made of glass and they have nothing to do with 3D printing. Plastic, wood, and metal are just better materials for some things. It's the same reason car tires are made of rubber and not wood, or frying pans are made of cast iron and not plastic... there are economic reasons, technical reasons, and aesthetic reasons that designers and engineers specify the materials that they do. The reason you don't see 5,000 glass door knobs at Home Depot isn't because it's not a suitable material, it's just that metal is cheaper and more durable. You can totally buy glass knobs if you want to.

So I'm not predicting an end to anyones job but I think most everyone will see some major benefits and a few of us may face more stiff competition..
    That's just the nature of economics and technological progress, 3D printing doesn't change it... the invention of the printing press put thousands of copy writers out of work almost over night. Computers put builds full of actuaries and mathematicians out of work. Solar panels are putting coal miners out of work...
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

I'd say this is as close as its getting to free air glass printing. I agree that piece doesn't look printed but honestly think it can be done.

Watch "GLASS" on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/mediatedmattergrou...ref=em-v-share

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    ... honestly think it can be done.
    Maybe some day, but not with existing technology as it stands now. The complex feedback between glass and human operator makes existing common technology incapable of working glass free form / free air for complex shapes.

The video you linked is cool, but limited to single wall "spiral vase" designs. It's certainly a starting point tho.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    Maybe some day, but not with existing technology as it stands now. The complex feedback between glass and human operator makes existing common technology incapable of working glass free form / free air for complex shapes. The video you linked is cool, but limited to single wall "spiral vase" designs. It's certainly a starting point tho.

Now we have something here:

http://www.us.schott.com/innovation/...ird-dimension/

Once these things are on the home market everyone will hear the words " Can it make a bong?"

I have been working in the 3d printing field for the past year and a half and have researched this. MITs printer is a cool proof of concept with molten glass but I believe printing with FDM technology with glass (or even metal) powder embeded in binder then sintering it will prevail. For not only glass but for for metal 3d Printing as well. A new company that is doing this and we are working with is https://www.desktopmetal.com/ very cool and much cheaper and safer than the current SLS (selective laser sintering) metal printers that use a bed of metal powder and require much more post processing.

morgan
    Last edited by misticglass; 05-27-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Wow, that desktop metal system is really cool. I could almost justify a unit like that if I had the space, it would put my shop on the map in a big way. I'll revisit that in a year.