The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: There's only ever been one bong!

Mad There's only ever been one bong!

I have so many words, none of them are nice, so for now I'll just leave this here.

Viceland video featuring Tokyo Smoke
    ~Misha

Default Re: There's only one bong!

But it's a million dollar machine guys come on!

Default Re: There's only ever been one bong!

~Misha

This guy and his company are getting lit up on Facebook right now. Takes a lot of balls for him to say there is no creativity in the glass blowing scene. He obviously is not paying much attention.

A lot of nerve for a company riding our coattails.

~Misha

i like how they copied the modern art from beetlejuice that was intentionally supposed to be a comic depiction of contrived and pretentious art. so creative... guess what? you jocked your style from early 90s tim burton, and a metal pipe is nothing new. moving on, sheesh...

i would love to see an awesome tig welded stainless or titanium tube or rig, does that exist? i bet it wouldn't cost 13k either...

really high grade steel, worth probably 3-10$ to make that $13,000 bong
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Alex Josephsons number: (647) 846-3428 ext 1. Tell the designer how you feel?

Vice has shot some serious glass collections. The way this is edited, they're totally exploiting these two individuals' ignorance and they put this out just to trigger people. It worked. I honestly thought about boycotting VICE but they put out some cool shit, and I fully think they put this out just to be incendiary and stir up an uproar. Controversy sells.
    I got angry right away but reading the facebook comments was hilarious and calmed me down. So much rage. Tokyosmoke has an instagram and their "cannabis lifestyle" is so cringeworthy, and they sell some lame cheap crap as well as the "high end" mass-produced printed steel bongs with carb holes. All the backlash from the glass scene is too funny.
    I can't get over the fact that this is free advertising. It was meant to go viral, I'm sure of it. Even so, I really think they underestimated the cannabis community. Tens of thousands of people who didn't know who Tokyo Smoke was yesterday are thinking about them now, that's worth something. Within the first 30secs of that video they personally insult anyone that makes pipes, glass or otherwise, and they call the glass scene uncreative? These guys are wealthy outsiders trying to cash in, but I refuse to believe anybody that's this invested in making pipes could be so ignorant. It was meant to piss people off, we all got had, we're not their market. I want his business to go up in smoke like everybody else but they probably only need to sell a few to break even and without this controversy I doubt they would have. I think the backlash is more than they bargained for but if they get fifteen thousand hate mails and death threats from insulted artists and the bombardment of phonecalls and emails get them noticed enough to sell even a few, they win.
    I feel dirty for even mentioning their name or thinking this much about it. Fuck those guys. Go check out @pixlglass or Joshua Pixl on FB, he ripped them off and made a glass one and I think that's worth sharing. The design still sucks though, fuck those guys.

I would have bet my life the video was for comedic purpose, if it wasn't from vice. Delusions of grandeur have no bounds.

Weak ass bong
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

Love Pixl's response. Everyone should make one.
    ~Misha

I'm going to make a glass replica and sell it for $12999
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

Quote Originally Posted by β View Post
    I’m glad we’re still talking about banning nomad 10yrs later!

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    really high grade steel, worth probably 3-10$ to make that $13,000 bong
    Naw... just a guess, but Shapeways is probably the shop that actually printed it, if so, that much steel... probably $1200-1500.

Also, if you really want to hit these guys, you need actual consumers of their projects to boycott them. I know if I ever go to Toronto, I will not eat or drink at any establishment they designed.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Damn.... $12998 it is then. I should have read post
    Last edited by MUPH; 04-27-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

They are so cocky. "You can smoke out of a small dragon or a big dragon" as they present this weird metal thing. They just scream hipster douchebag as they giggle to themselves knowing they can sell this 13,000 monstrosity that took may be 2 hours to make safely behind a computer.

ksglass Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMelt View Post
    I would have bet my life the video was for comedic purpose, if it wasn't from vice. Delusions of grandeur have no bounds.
    Yep. My thoughts exactly. They sure are getting a ton of people to watch it too.

Yea the facebook crowd is trashing on them hard.

Hating on them for being dorks may kind of backfire giving them a lot of free exposure. Very well could be an elaborate troll.

My comment to it was "Dumbest idea ever..congratulations "

Back in 1983 we took an aluminum plate 5" x 5",siliconed on a 18 inch hunk of small 2" diameter irrigation pipe and drilled it for a down stem and polished it up all shiney. It had to be worth $18,000 easy.

It's a troll and a ploy. They'll be such a widely recognized joke that a couple of hipsters will have to have an "ironic" $13k bong.

*edit*
    It's also kind of hilarious. Half of the time people tell me that they used to know a glassblower, they follow it up with "he made these bad ass pipes that looked like dragons." Maybe it's just the area I'm in, but that's apparently a thing.
    Last edited by dustyg; 04-28-2017 at 04:00 AM.

Just listening to these guys made me wonder if they have ever smoked pot. They are clearly ignorant of weed culture.

It pisses me off when people outside of the cannabis industry try to cash in on the pipe market. In my opinion this is no different than cheap imports. The only green they are into is $$$$.
    "demanding respect doesn't get you shit

love your fellow man" Mute

https://www.facebook.com/brian.cesario.56