The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: what shades are you rockin and why?

Default what shades are you rockin and why?

I am about to invest in glasses again, because I just don't have great eye wear, and I am throwing down for the good shit... that being said, what do you guys like best? I am thinking about going with shade 4 on bottom diddies up top, which I assume is pretty common. I have also considered just going with the shade 4s. Does the split shade set up work well for anyone? As well are there options besides Aura that are "good"? Right now I have philips shade three and they are not comfy. What frames are you guys rockin???
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

Default Re: what shades are you rockin and why?

I'm just running the old cheapie Ace glasses with shade 3 flipdowns, I will say that I've been wishing I'd gone darker. I figured 3 would be a good balance between protection and ability to see, but I think 4's would be very workable. The 3's aren't as crazy dark as I'd imagined.

I'm with you on planning an upgrade, I've tried friends' higher end shades and man...it'll be well worth the expense.

I prefer light weight comfortable Phillips shade 5.

I went down the rabbit whole with glasses...

I've had...

3/5 split
    Straight 5's
    Aura 250 shade 4's,
    Aura 250 shade 5's
    Aura 250 shade 6
    Now back to Phillips shade 5, which I feel are the best for me. Most comfortable best coverage I've found.

Don't really care for the aura's, they are at least twice as heavy and there is a gap in the lamination that is annoying.

My experience, everyone is different
    don't wash your hands with your sammich.
    naive
    *of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

your linework is naive maybe try some fuming?
    GTT Phantom on Homefill
    first time on torch 07'

I have new Aura shade 4/diddy split glasses, custom scrip lenses, readers for my old eyes. Super nice but definitely heavy. The split lens is fantastic, if you find yourself looking over the top of your current shades you should really consider the splits. I love them. Mike includes a nice cord and if you keep it snug on your head the weight is not so bad, after a couple weeks I didn't mind at all.
    I also have Phillips shade 3 glasses, very light but the shape is not so comfy on my head.
    You should try on as many different frames as you can and choose by comfort.
    Aura shade 4 blocks less "visible light" but more radiation than my Phillips 3's. Looking around my bench i can see more clearly thru Auras but the torch glare bothers my eyes less if that makes sense. I would have gone with 5's if i had known how light the 4's were.
    I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

phillips and ive got some back up walewear ones. i like the light weight. the heavy pair i had would always slide off my nose with sweat.

I found the shade 5 too dark for me, even in a well lit studio. I always ended up having to look over the top of my lenses. I currently Oakley shade 3's and I purchased some nose pads on Amazon that keep them in place even when it's crazy hot out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

I have Aura (would never wear phillips) split lens with 1/3 shade 3 on top and 2/3 shade 5 on bottom.
    ~Misha

that sounds like a nice setup^

i have phillips fit over shade 3, they kinda suck. working with color their shade 3 is not dark enough imo. but i also have blue eyes (more sensitive?).

im thinking just going shade 4, i dunno if i could handle split lens it might drive me nuts. also i have terrible vision, and shade 5 is really dark on the basic gas welding goggles i have. i would need some serious lighting upgrades if i was going with shade 5

you guys are making me think I want shade 5 on the bottom and diddies on top, for sure I look over the top of my glasses constantly when I am searching for a small hole in a seal or at my bench for a tool. I think I have made my choice, just wish I could try a few. I am gonna make my order and pay monday. I need comfy shades, but weight is not so big a deal for me, I have alot of native american blood so my skin is very oily and I have to have a head band regardless. Thanx for the info and keep it coming guys. Money is tight and I want to be confident in the purchases that I have to make to stay in business
    May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy water

Formerly known as Skuzz

I wear Aura lens top 1/3 didymium bottom 2/3 shade 5. They give great protection and the diddy top makes it easy to find the tweezers hiding on the bench. I have goggles with a strap so they don't slide down. I don't notice the weight at all. Mine are pretty old and the frames were a slightly tinted clear which let too much light through. I sandblasted the frames and spray painted them black with Rustoleum specialty plastic paint which made a huge difference. I think the goggle frames currently available are already black or opaque. I tried some Phillips shade 5 after Using Aura lens for 10 years or so and switched back after about an hour. The Phillips tinted everything too green and seemed to give me eyestrain in just an hour where my eyes feel nothing after a full day with Auras. Just my experience, I know many who are happy with Phillips.

I just recently got my Aura shade 5. They replaced some philips shade 5s. I noticed less eye fatigure right away. They are heavier, but my bandana helps hold them in place when I work, and I'm very happy with the upgrade.

I've got Auralens split - shade 5 on bottom, didy on top. They're heavy, but keeping the strap snug keeps them comfy.

I'll add, if anybody isn't using a blast shield, you might consider it. I'm not, but I do have a thick piece of plate glass between me and my torch, and it keeps a lot of heat out of my face and reduces the burn in my eyes.

I wear ace for borosilicate from wale apparatus. I have economy metal frames. I like them a lot. I like the metal frames because they are durable and comfortable. Sometimes I wish I had the #4 split lense because it is easier to see the metal you are fuming. But I don't really have a problem with ace. I have had them almost 10 years now with no problems.
    I wear a sweat band and my hair up off my neck. It helps me not get so sweaty. I do have a beach towel to wipe the sweat off my face between pieces also.

And of course ace is $100 and aurora is $300. That is a major decision maker for me as well.

Optional(?) head strap and replaceable nose pads, double check the strap option tho.
    http://www.auralens.net/en/leader-c2-sports-goggle

The 325 is a$90 premium but super nice if you can afford it, shade 4 on bottom split is what i got.
    http://www.auralens.net/en/agw-325-filter

Burnt hands heal, burnt eyes do not, glad to hear that you take yout safety seriously. The simplest advice is to buy the BEST protection that you can AFFORD.
    I do what I know, I don't know what I'm doing

anyone have aura fit overs? i would love to get perscription lenses but its a big boost in cost. not to mention my eyes are so bad i wouldn't be surprised if they cant even make mine. my lenses are about as thick as bubbles' from trailer park boys lol.

I used to use Phillips shade 3s but switched over to Aura AGW 300 didymiums a few months back and would never go back to dark glasses. Being able to see your work/bench/surroundings has stopped me from getting eye strain from struggling to see throught the darker glasses.

I have no idea how some of you guyd manage with shade 5s!

Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs Glass View Post
    I used to use Phillips shade 3s but switched over to Aura AGW 300 didymiums a few months back and would never go back to dark glasses. Being able to see your work/bench/surroundings has stopped me from getting eye strain from struggling to see throught the darker glasses.

I have no idea how some of you guyd manage with shade 5s!
    I actually got the 1/3 shade 5, and I wish it was more like 1/7. I basically just use the darker portion when I'm really blasting a marble with heat, or to filter out the fume-rod while fuming, or things like that.

I can see everything around me with my ace for borosilicate shades. They are a little bit green tinted but that is about it.

Emilio santini told me to use wale lenses. That is what he uses but I think his are free for teaching.